• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello From Montana!

BettyAnn

• Members

I would be interested in hearing how you got saved.

My Romans road was an odd situation. When I was 14 I was told I was adopted through not the most legal agreement between a web of family aquintences and all that. And my birth family wanted me back so without any legal leg to stand on,and court not being an option,I moved on with them a while later. They were a mixture oc very liberal humanism with a smattering of Judaism so I really didn't fit in. They were very suspect of anything on Penn German so I started reading King James and got strong convictions over it, started going to a regular church until my birth family found out and I want allowed to go anymore. So for years I just did schooling, got through college, got more modern (not terribly much lol) and moved out to Montana. After a year or so someone gave me a pocket sized book of John and I finally understood and was saved. Fortunately my husband, fiancee at the time, still wanted to court even though he wasn't saved because I guess he liked me enough. He jumped me by going to church a few weeks later and he was saved.Not the most dramatic testimony but God has kept me safe through a lot of stuff.

It's hard for most Amish too explain beliefs in general because being Amish,doctrine wise, is a living and breathing young. I mean that it is more than belief in Jesus when you're Amish. Your tired too a family structure woven in to a community, you're dependent on others who are just as dependent on you. There's a social structure not seen anywhere else,a very alien thing to most people. It's hard to put in to words a doctrinal statement or even a simple explanation of basics when there's such a complex web of rabbit trails woven around it. Honestly most Amish themselves don't know what they believe.

But there are a few universals. There's no assurance of salvation which is why it's most hard at Amish funerals about the hope the deceased will see heaven. Old Order do have the view that those not Amish are most certainly all going to hell, that no one can fully understand the Bible except the bishop. There also restrictions on what should be read from the Bible by the bishops even at home. Bible study itself is very frowned on, in some communities even an offence for shunning.

As far as electricity and modern convenience, it's not a matter of being scared of technology rather than the worry that it will bring discord to the community and disrupt the home. There are some compromises tho like automatic milking machines run by electricity for legal reasons and refrigerators run by generators. Everything various community to community. A letter friend of mine lived in a small community of old order up in Canada and their bishop didn't allow any mirrors for fear of vanity, while my community allowed mirrors but they were required to be covered up by cloth so when not in use it wasn't tempting one to care for vain things.

Archived