• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Being Representatives

trapperhoney

• Members

Our Sunday School lesson was on 2 Corinthians 6:1-13.  The verse that really stood out to me was verse 3, "Giving no offence in any thing; that the ministry be not blamed:"  It took me back to 2 Corinthians 5:20, "Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God."  We are ambassadors, or representatives, of Christ on this earth.  An ambassador represents his country to another country.  That person embodies the ruler of his country for the citizens of another country.  He acts on his behalf.

Verses 4 and 6 seemed to build on that for me, "But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned."  It called to mind 2 Corinthians 4:2,5, "But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, not handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.  For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake."

As representatives we should strive to be blameless, for we reflect on Christ and his ministry, and everything we do should put forth Christ and not ourselves.  John 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

John 13:35, "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

1 Corinthians 13:4-8a, "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all thins, hopeth all things, endureth all things.  Charity never faileth;"

Challenged me to ask myself, When people see me how is that reflecting on my Lord?

• Members

"When people see me how is that reflecting on my Lord?"

A very good question for us to ponder often.

How does my speech reflect upon Christ...my word choice...my tone...my attitude...when and how I choose to speak up or remain silent?

Just one of the many examples how we can apply that searching question to our lives every day, every moment.

Archived