• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Man's Wisdom And God's Wisdom

trapperhoney

• Members

Sunday evening my pastor spoke on Man's Wisdom vs. God's Wisdom

1 Corinthians 3:16-23

v16, compare to John 16:7,13

v18, to learn you must become a fool (in man's eyes)

v19, compare to 1 Corinthians 2:14; James 3:15,16 (man's wisdom)

Romans 1:18-32

v18, man's wisdom = ungodliness and unrighteousness

v19, God has revealed himself to everyone

v20, Creation is clearly seen by everyone and proclaims God's eternal power -- no man has an excuse

v21-23, they choose to reject the evidence before them; brings God down to their level

v24, God gave them up -- to uncleanness

v25, through their "wisdom" they turned God's truth into lies and exalt the creation above the Creator

v26, God gave them up -- to vile affections

v28, God gave them over -- to a reprOBate mind (reprOBate = lost in sin)

v29, describes the reprOBate mind

v31, implacable = cannot be calmed or appeased

v32, takes pleasure in that which displeases and offends God

Ecclesiastes 1:18, "For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

1 Corinthians 3:20, "And again, the Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain."

Proverbs 1:7, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Proverbs 15:33, "The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom; and before honor is humility."

***************************************************************************************************************

This describes our society to perfection.  If you bring up God's Word you are scoffed at and called a fool for believing in "mythology."  Eagle eggs are protected while babies are legally murdered in the womb.  Christians are persecuted and homosexuals are lauded.  Man's appetite for sin is insatiable.  The message just seemed so timely.

• Members

I've had even Christians try telling me that it's not realistic to think God want's us to live by what the Bible says today. Some have told me those things were fine "back then" but they don't work today. Others say those old Bible ways don't work in America; that we have to fight our own fights, we have to use the worlds ways to beat the world.

This, and more, coming from Christians.

The lost, and even some professing Christians, are quick to say the Bible has no place in public life; that's just for home and church.

I can understand non-Christians saying such things, but professing Christians holding such positions leads one to wonder whether they are only secular Christians or perhaps immature Christians.

• Members

the world's thinking (man's thinking) has slowly slipped into the church and is taking over.  I am constantly amazed at how unbiblical attitudes and behaviors of Christians are.  it isn't easy to take a stand against the world, but it is our calling.

• Moderators

The lost, and even some professing Christians, are quick to say the Bible has no place in public life; that's just for home and church.

And this is why we see the government more and more referrgin to freedom of worship, rather than freedom of religion, because worship is something you do at home or church, which religion is living the life of a believer-religion, properly understood and applied, encompasses all of life.

• Members

I liken what is happening to the church in relation to the world, to race car "drafting".  A race car will draft when it sits close behind another car and it is pulled along as long as it keeps the same distance.  When the church "drafts" the world, it stays just as far and separated from the world as it always has, BUT the world has gone so far, that where the church is NOW, is where the world WAS just a little while ago.  If the church keeps drafting the world (keeping the same distance from it yet still being pulled along) instead of standing firm and letting the world pull further and further away, we will continue to see the appostacy growing.  What was once unthinkable in the church is now accepted because it is still not as bad as the world and you can see some separation.  

Bro. Garry

• Members

In an article I read some years ago the author pointed out how the American church is typically 5 to 10 years behind world in adopting the worlds ways.

While he cited several things to make his point, the main and most clear point he focused upon was swimwear. Starting at the beginning of the 20th century he showed how each time a new, more revealing (and they weren't revealing much at that time) swimsuit came out the church would denounce it and preach against it. Yet in a few years when the next new and a little more revealing style came out the church would denounce that while adopting the previous one as suddenly acceptable.

The author followed that trend all the way up to today. He did similar with music, movies, games, premarital relations, divorce, etc.

Archived