• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Did The Church That Jesus Built Begin?

Jim_Alaska

• Administrators

First I want to say that although I am new here I have enjoyed reading the many posts and topics I found here. I also want to thank all for allowing me to participate.

Although I have posted a few replies to existing threads I have not posted one of my own. In my reading of many threads I have seen a few references to when people thought the church, as an institution, started. So I thought I would throw this out there for discussion.

I am aware of all the different ideas concerning this, but thought I would see how many people held to which ideas.

• Members

Acts 9

The Jews had blasphemed the Father and the Son, and in Acts 7 they blasphemed the Holy Spirit and stoned Stephen.

Then Jesus appeared to Paul (Saul of Tarsus) and commissioned him to go to the Gentiles and preach the Gospel of Grace

(without the Law) to the Body of Christ (ie: the "church", Gentiles and a remnant of Jews).

"Acts 2" is Israel, and adoption of this fulfillment of Joel's prophecy by "the church", leads directly to charis-mania ("speaking in tongues").

I see many mixing the message under the Law with Paul's Gospel of Grace (revealed to Paul by Jesus, btw)... tsk, tsk, tsk

See 2 Tim 2:15

• Members

Church of the wilderness Acts 7 / the Church of the first born Hebrews 12, was started in the when Israel was called out of Egypt and reestablished by Christ in the Gospels and then postponed by Acts 8 until a later time to be completed after the gathering of the body of Christ 1Thess 4. The church of Acts 2 was part of the Church of the wilderness and the first born.

The body of Christ, the current church, Started when Paul received his commission Act 9, described in Gal 1 from Jesus to take the gospel of the Grace of God to the Gentiles.

• Moderators

Eph 2:

13: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14: For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15: Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

16: And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

17: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

18: For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

19: Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20: And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

21: In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

22: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit."

There is this huge argument over when the church began: Matt 10, once the apostles had all been called, (save for Paul), at Pentecost, at Paul's calling, (which is a new one on me, to be honest). Much is based on hyperdispensationalism. I believe in dispensationism, its clearly in the Bible, but I think we have 'divided' the word into far too many pieces.

The above verses seem pretty clear to me: in Jesus Christ the wall of separation between Jew and Gentile was broken down-we have access, the same access, by the same Spirit, the commandments and ordinances being abolished in Him, both reconciled to God in ONE body. I'm not seeing this separation-"There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all." (Eph 4:4-6). I don't read two different gospels, two different methods and modes of salvaton.

The church was built on the foundation of the apostles, (plural, not just Paul), AND the prophets, (because they prophecied of Jesus Christ), and Jesus s the chief cornerstone, and we are all, whether former Jew or Gentile, fitly framed together in one building. One. One holy temple-THE Church-that 'universal church', as it were, which many Baptists don't believe in. Though it is not yet fully realized, and our main focus is the local NT church, yet there is a universal body made up of all believers of all time. One holy temple in the Lord, a habitation of God in the Spirit.

• Members
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus starts building. 

Mat 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
Mat 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
Mat 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Somewhere in the time between 16 to 18 Jesus started building and they began to function as a church.

Act 1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Adding to the church after Jesus had departed earth. 

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Gentiles added

• Members

Ephesians 3:1-8  A special revelation of the Ekklesia ("Body of Christ", "new man") given to Paul by Jesus Christ:

1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

Galatians 1:11-19

11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.

18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

<<< This, and other passages from Paul's Epistles, form the FOUNDATION   >>>

<<< for the doctrine of the CHURCH (Body of Christ) beginning in Acts 9. >>>

The central "theme" of the Gospel of the Kingdom is... the Millennial Kingdom, with a descendent of David

as King over Israel and ruling the entire world from Jerusalem.  Not so with the Pauline Gospel of Grace.

Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision

for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:  Romans 15:8

BTW, "ekklesia" is used in the Gospels as well.  In the case of the Gospels, it is OBviously the "congregation" in the synagogue.

Archived