• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pet Peeves

• Members

In response to #44,

A pet peeve I have is I can't stand to hear religious people making condescending remarks about me or others who God has revealed truth to. Just because they reject that truth does not mean we have to too. And their rejection of a truth doesn't make it any less of a truth.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Ouch.

Post #44 is not directed to anyone here. I don't know where you sit, how often you attend, how much you eat, or how often you bash your preacher. I don't know any of these things about anyone on this forum. 

Sounds like someone's under conviction.

It is very undermining to the things that I try to do for the Lord, for others to do nothing and have the loudest voice.That's all I'm saying.

In churches there are a lot of "christians" that come to the benificial things that the church offers and are never seen at any other times.

They never come on a Wednesday night because they just can't make it, but when we have a business meeting on Wed. night they are some of the first ones there.

I do pay tithes. I didn't for a while (and there is not a Bible verse you can show me that I haven't already used to confirm this thought process), but I found that it prevented me from having freedom in Christ! In other words, what right do I have to ask for more money to be added into certain places like missionaries, youth events, homeless ministry, etc if I am not putting money in.

It convicted me to give what was asked of me by the man that God chose to stand in our pulit.

Ephesians 6:5-8 Was my basis for this.

Christians in the world today need to get back to the basics. Everything that you do should be out of love and service to Christ. Where are the servants at these days. Where's the love man!!!!!

• Members

That ties into another pet peeve: Those who come to church when they are having a prOBlem, but as soon as things get better they are nowhere near the church. Whether a couple months or a year or more down the line, just as soon as trouble comes up again there they are at church.

We had one guy show up at our church to speak with the pastor because he was upset at finding out his name had been removed from the church active membership role and the mailing list. Our pastor pointed out he hadn't been to church in over five years, had changed phone numbers and never updated that for the church directory, didn't respond to mailings from the church asking about how he was doing, and had made it a point to avoid church members.

The man was still upset! Our pastor told him that at least now he knows how to get him to come to the church!

• Members

Let's not turn this personal....adults.  Nor, as I said earlier, into a tithing thread.  This has been a lighthearted thread so far - even with some seriousness.  Let's not create an argument just because we can.

Nothing Personal

Thread asked for pet peeves and this is just where I am at right now.

Few church members forced a resignation from our pastor 2 weeks ago.

That is the people I was talking about.

• Administrators

Nothing Personal

Thread asked for pet peeves and this is just where I am at right now.

Few church members forced a resignation from our pastor 2 weeks ago.

That is the people I was talking about.

I know it wasn't personal to you.  I'm just trying to forestall an argument.

• Members

Women wearing WAAAAAAAAAAY too much perfume.

(most of them are older women who don't do so on purpose, they just can't smell it until they are drenched in it)

I've literally had my eyes start watering and my throat burn a few times from being in a confined area with such.

I hear ya.  There was one lady in our church whose perfume would always cause uncontrollable sneezing fits for me (mercifully she finally changed fragrances).  I couldn't be anywhere near her.  Then there is another that wears so much that I get a taste like soap in my mouth (trust me, I am well acquainted with the flavor of soap...don't ask).  

• Members

Pet peeve:  Parents who exercise no control over their children in a restaurant, they let them turn around in their booth and stare at you or start conversations with you, or even (I kid you not, it happened) let their children roam from table to table and eat things off of other peoples table!  

• Members

That's a pet peeve of mine as well: uncontrolled children! How frustrating to go through the store hearing children constantly demanding their way, often screaming (sometimes even cussing) at their parents, running all over the place, getting in the way, making messes and having temper tantrums. Then to hear their parents constantly trying to placate their children, giving in to them time and again, rather than administering some discipline, or leaving the store so they can administer needed discipline in private.

One child was constantly taking things out of his parents cart and tossing them onto shelves or in bins as they went through the store. We all ended up close to one another at one point and the child grabbed something out of their cart and basketball-like shot it from their cart into mine. The mother looked as if she had no idea what to do, the dad looked like he wanted to scream but then just turned to me apologizing for his child tossing stuff in my cart, took it out of my cart, and they all went on...with that child STILL tossing stuff out of their cart.

Had I done any of the above, at the very least I would have got an immediate, stern speaking to and if that didn't correct my behaviour on the spot I would have received an on the spot swat and likely much worse when we got to the car and/or home.