• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pet Peeves

• Members

It drives me nuts when people say they do something "24/7". I asked someone if they prayed and they told me "Yup! 24/7!". I said, "really? when do you sleep?"

I can breathe 24/7....yes, even in my sleep! It's an accomplishment, I know. I try to be modest about it but sometimes I just have to brag a little. 

Don't know about the US but the standard of waiting in UK is awful. Some pet hates:

• Food isn't all brought out at the same time. "I'm sorry sir but the xyz will be another 5 minutes". So then the diners either have to start before one poor fellow has his food, or sit there and let their food go cold. One of these days I'll tell the waiter to take the rest of it back out and bring it all back when it's ready.
  • Taking things off the table while people are eating, like empty glasses. Short of glasses? Buy more.
  • Clearing plates when there are still some people eating. That's basically telling diners that they're being too slow.
  • Being too attentive. We came to eat together, not answer your questions. We'll signal when we want something.
  • Food being slammed down in front of you from any angle, even over other diner's heads.

I hardly ever eat out but whenever I do I'll get at least three of the above. Indian Restaurants are the only places that seem to care about waiting standards anymore.

Yes, this. Especially the first one.  A few weeks ago I went out to eat with my dad and they brought out his order first. He went ahead and began eating. I waited and waited for my order. My dad finally asked the waitress about my order and I think they had forgotten about it! It didn't arrive until after my dad had finished his meal.   :verymad:

• Members

I can breathe 24/7....yes, even in my sleep! It's an accomplishment, I know. I try to be modest about it but sometimes I just have to brag a little.

Yes, this. Especially the first one. A few weeks ago I went out to eat with my dad and they brought out his order first. He went ahead and began eating. I waited and waited for my order. My dad finally asked the waitress about my order and I think they had forgotten about it! It didn't arrive until after my dad had finished his meal. :verymad:

Part "A": Giggles. .....

Part "B": bad enough in a group, when it must be acknowledged that it is hard to finish preparation on 10 meals at once. Hard, but some places manage it.
But for two meals? Absolutely, utterly, 100% unforgivable.
How can a waiter even bring a single meal to a table for two and not ask why?

• Members

Another pet peeve is people who don't use their turn signals, drive at night with one headlight on and it's usually the bright one. People that don't turn on their headlights at dusk or in rain, especially if driving a gray vehicle.

I saw a report that said apparently 70% of drivers in Australia consider themselves to be better than average......
:lol:

• Members

God has been working on all those areas of my flesh and now I just grin and bear it.

the Lord Knows the other persons, sinfulness, weaknesses and no good ways, there is no need for me to let it bother my spirit.

People ask "How are you today?"

We all know they really don't care how you are it is just that it is a politity (a term of politeness),  If we told them exactly how we are doing that day they would think, "boy, what a wretched loser."

Often I will say, "Just because the worlds in chaos it doesn't mean I can't be happy"  I say it smiling.

When I can no longer handle a person and their actions I like most of you just avoid them.

BTW, those of you who can't handle a nose ring.  Don't go to India many of the restaurants waitresses have nose rings or chains.  A majority of women have nose rings there.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Administrators

Well, I don't live in India, and I don't like nose rings.  :icon_smile:   That said, if the waitress has one and gives me good service she'll get a nice tip.  Even if she doesn't give good service, she would get a decent tip because we then leave a tract - and we aren't going to stiff a tip and leave a tract at the same time.  Bad witness, that!

My biggest pet peeve?  The fact that I don't have one. I want a dog so badly.  A beagle pup.  That I can name Liberty.  Yes, then I wouldn't have a peeve anymore, I would have a pet.  :clapping:

• Members

When it comes to tipping I have my base amount I will tip, and the appearance of the waitress doesn't matter. If get exceptional service, or sometimes if the waitress is simply sincerely friendly and helpful, I'll leave a bigger tip.

I've a pet peeve regarding drivers as well; it's those at an intersection that wait until you get close to them, then they pull out in front of you like they are in a big hurry, but then they drive slowly down the road so you have use the brake to keep from hitting them.

• Administrators

HC, I grew up always having a beagle and lab, outdoors only. Beagle pups are the cutest! But what puppy isn't! I hope you get your puppy too!

We had labs when our son was growing up. Shepherds (part dOBerman) when I was young. There's just something about a beagle...my mom wants mr to bring my beagle (if I get one) to her house due to one of her pet peeves: rabbits everywhere. :-D

• Members

Waitresses with nose jewelry.  I find it very unappetizing when my food server has things dangling from her nose or hanging from her lip.

It could be worse... you could have been served by this man who OBviously lost a fight with the chef....

nose-piercings.jpeg

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

We had labs when our son was growing up. Shepherds (part dOBerman) when I was young. There's just something about a beagle...my mom wants mr to bring my beagle (if I get one) to her house due to one of her pet peeves: rabbits everywhere. :-D

That is so sweet, your mom wanting to introduce your beagle to heaven.  Rabbits everywhere is indeed heaven to a "hunting in their blood" beagle. 

• Members

I grew up with beagles at home from my earliest memories into my teens. We used to do a lot of hunting. Buck was a great rabbit hunting beagle. When he started getting old and going blind we got a pair of beagle siblings (brother and sister). The sister would get in a hurry and overrun the trail and lose it while the brother was on the slow side. Buck helped the brother along and the sister learned to run to Buck when she lost the trail so she could pick it back up again because even nearly blind Buck could still track the rabbits.

• Members

Well, I don't live in India, and I don't like nose rings.  :icon_smile:   That said, if the waitress has one and gives me good service she'll get a nice tip.  Even if she doesn't give good service, she would get a decent tip because we then leave a tract - and we aren't going to stiff a tip and leave a tract at the same time.  Bad witness, that!

My biggest pet peeve?  The fact that I don't have one. I want a dog so badly.  A beagle pup.  That I can name Liberty.  Yes, then I wouldn't have a peeve anymore, I would have a pet.  :clapping:

oh my, if only I knew, someone offered us one for free.  Our landlord wont let us have one.  Plus I hate getting attached and then having it get hit or die on you can be emotional.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members

Don't get me wrong HC, I loved my beagle (though I will most likely not seek another one) only because they are high maintenance and tend to have "selective hearing" and pay NO attention to you calling their name; about as much as a cat does.  The only thing my cat responds to is the sound of the can opener...