• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian based movies

• Members

My wife and I bought the Thief in the Night series on DVD a few years back I already had a copy on VHS back in the 90's and promoted the films every time I could get a chance.

I didn't agree with everything in those movies, but for the most part, I could see things happening just as Russ Daughton and Mark IV presented them. The beginning of the third one, where Patty saw her best friend Wenda beheaded was a real attention grabber. One day it will happen just like that. Friends, family members, neighbors, all will have to make a decision to either accept a mark of identification with the antichrist or be killed.

Sadly, many will accept the mark.

Concerning the thought in bold. Not only will it happen again, it has been happening since the Messiah came the first time to earth.

• Members

I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to mention that for many years we have purchased videos from christianmovies.com. The films from the Christiano brothers are good. We also like the old Ken Anderson films and the Edward McDougal ones. We also purchased flywheel some years before Facing the Giants came out. So we were more than ready to watch the new Kendrick Bros movie. The fact that it was put out as an independent Christian film and especially as a ministry of a local Baptist church was appealing, too. We have felt that in this day and age we all need encouragement to walk with the Lord...and our entertainment should help us, not hinder us. I have been so encouraged by messages these films have put forth. i might add that we still pick and choose...many are catholic-based, or have some oddity about them, so we sometimes have a purchase that goes to file 13.

Case in point: why in the world did they need to put profanity in "Amazing Grace", the movie about William Wilberforce and John Newton??

• Members

I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to mention that for many years we have purchased videos from christianmovies.com. The films from the Christiano brothers are good. We also like the old Ken Anderson films and the Edward McDougal ones. We also purchased flywheel some years before Facing the Giants came out. So we were more than ready to watch the new Kendrick Bros movie. The fact that it was put out as an independent Christian film and especially as a ministry of a local Baptist church was appealing, too. We have felt that in this day and age we all need encouragement to walk with the Lord...and our entertainment should help us, not hinder us. I have been so encouraged by messages these films have put forth. i might add that we still pick and choose...many are catholic-based, or have some oddity about them, so we sometimes have a purchase that goes to file 13.

Case in point: why in the world did they need to put profanity in "Amazing Grace", the movie about William Wilberforce and John Newton??

:thumb::amen: It's such a blessing when we can have entertainment that's also edifying.

You are so correct that even when it comes to "Christian" films, we must be discerning. Some are Catholic based, some just wacky, and some have aspects (such as the profanity) that makes one really wonder "why?". Even so, it's worth the time to find the good Christian movies because they can be used to help others find Christ, help some grow in Christ and simply edify and refresh others.

Praise God for the worthwhile Christian films we have!

• Administrators

nucreature - we have ordered movies from there as well. We also use Christianbooks. It is indeed a shame when a Christian movie puts in things that are offensive, but sometimes (the excuse is) it's needed for reality. I know the movie Faith Like Potatoes did that at the beginning. We were wondering when it started just what we'd gotten into. But the man was not saved and the movie was showing his life as it really was. That one is based on a true story and it has a powerful message about faith. It ended up to be a good movie - however, the caveat I would give with it is that people with children should watch the first part of it before the kids do, so they are aware of things and can handle it according to their family standards.

Another excellent movie (one which has been mentioned before) is As with Roses. It is based on the true story of the Obadiah Holmes beating for being a Baptist in 1651. http://shilohfilms.org/as_with_roses.html
It was put together by a Baptist church. They are in the process of creating The Overmountain Men, the story of Shubal Stearns. We can't wait to get that one, too. Nice thing about these are they aren't just Christian based, they are true...and Baptist! :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

I don't think I've heard of that one. Can you elaborate any?

Has anyone watched "Conversation With a Stranger"?

The Wager stars Randy Travis, who plays the part of an actor who is a Christian. He feels compelled to live the Sermon on the Mount; i.e., be a peacemaker, be meek, be poor in spirit, etc.

It is kind of confusing because it jumps back and forth many times from his acting to his life away from the set.

During the movie, he is constantly seeing people with signs that read 'Blessed are the peacemakers,' 'Blessed are the meek,' etc..

• Members

Standing - what is that one about?

Has anyone seen the movie Letters to God?

HC, if you go back to the previous page, someone posted a link to the whole movie. It is only 33 minutes long. Actually pretty good.

There, I provided a link to the post. Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Administrators

HC, if you go back to the previous page, someone posted a link to the whole movie. It is only 33 minutes long. Actually pretty good.

There, I provided a link to the post.

Oh - okay. I didn't realize that was the name of that one - I saw it when it was first posted!

• Members

Oh - okay. I didn't realize that was the name of that one - I saw it when it was first posted!

I try to collect as many of the 'Christian' movies as I can. Many that are labeled Christian are far from being so. Many are labeled as being Christian just because of good morals being taught yet have no mention of Christ or the need of Salvation at all.

This one, I believe, falls in the category of Christian.

• Administrators

I try to collect as many of the 'Christian' movies as I can. Many that are labeled Christian are far from being so. Many are labeled as being Christian just because of good morals being taught yet have no mention of Christ or the need of Salvation at all.

This one, I believe, falls in the category of Christian.

Totally agree with you! We are so often disappointed at the "Christian" movies we see. Some have good stuff in them, but picking the meat off the bones can make a tedious evening!

• 3 weeks later...