• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian based movies

• Members
Thank you LuAnne.

That's one of the things I don't like about many Christian/Bible-based movies; they seem to really portray many characters in ways the Bible doesn't suggest. Moses is so often protrayed as not really trusting God and not wanting to follow God; Jesus is often portrayed very wimpy, sometimes even somewhat feminine; John the Baptist sometimes seems almost crazy; etc.

I agree. However, if you'll go back to Exodus 3-4, Moses didn't want to follow God. He had "already tried that" and wasn't going to do it again.

• Members

I agree. However, if you'll go back to Exodus 3-4, Moses didn't want to follow God. He had "already tried that" and wasn't going to do it again.

The movies I've seen tend to portray Moses as arguing with God the whole time. Some even make him look weak and ineffectual. Moses seems like a constant whiner and complainer.

I don't think Moses had a "been there, done that" attitude, it seems more like he simply didn't think he was up to the task. That's not all that uncommon for God to call someone to something and the person initially thinks, "Wow! I can't do that." They must learn that it's not in their own power they are called to a task, but it's through God that they will be enabled to perform that which God calls them to.

• Members

I agree that Moses didn't believe he was qualified for the job. However, it seems to me that if that was the only issue he wouldn't have argued with God as long as he did. I only said that because he already somehow knew that God would deliver Israel through him (Acts 7:25, For he supposed his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them: but they understood not.)

The reason I said that Moses had the "been there, done that" attitude is because that is something I deal with personally. I know it's not right, but if I had been in Moses' place and had to flee for my life for doing what I thought God wanted me to do, I would have thrown in the towel right then. God had to really work on Moses to bring him around.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I thought Fireproof was excellent, except for the rock music in it. I have not seen The Nativity Story, but the book based on the screenplay was actually quite solid and Biblical. Angela Hunt has some really awesome stories, but is pretty worldly in some others, which is sad.

One thing that I hate about those marketing or producing Fireproof, Facing The Giants, and Flywheel is that they got some writer to write the books for all three movies whose other books are filled with the occult. He also just put out a trilogy about "Jerusalem's Undead", twisting the part about those in the graves coming back to life at the death of Christ - but in his stories it was undead, not actually resurrected saints. Pretty evil and wicked imagination and I was so disappointed to find that out after I bought the book to read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Members

Russ Daughton put out many good movies back in the late 70's, early 80's.

I especially enjoyed his Thief in the Night, A Distant Thunder, Image of the Beast, and The Prodigal Planet.

Nite Song was interesting. I was disappointed when the young Christian Joe was killed by drug pushers, but his young friend accepted Christ as a result of his service to the Lord and witness to him.

I saw previews for a movie called, "All the Kings Men" on one of my Russ Daughton DVD's that looked good.

The Last Sin Eater told of mountain superstition and a little girl, Caddie Forbes, who wanted to be forgiven for sin.

Time Changer was a great movie, as was End of the Harvest.

Project Dinosaur was a good movie. The Treasure Map was another movie done with the same kids. I believe both of these were put out by BJU and Unusual Films.

The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry was good.

The Radicals tells the story of Michael Sattler

The Fanny Crosby Story

Flame in the Wind was good. We watched that one at our Church.

Flywheel, Facing the Giants and Fireproof were all good.

Beyond the Next Mountain

Sheffey

Moody was also a good movie.

• Members

I really like this movie

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8986758947117634409&ei=CsjvStHNNYTYrgLApOCzAw&q=late+one+night&hl=en#

You can order 7 for $21 from www.christianfilms.com God bless. :)

Just watched this video. Thanx for sharing!

The only thing I disagreed with in it was the man who was witnessing and handing out tracts on the street asking, "Do you know that Jesus is God's only Son?"

Jesus is not God's only Son... He is God's only Begotten Son. God has many sons. Those who have trusted Christ as Lord and Savior are sons through adoption and can now truthfully call God "Father."

• Members

Russ Daughton put out many good movies back in the late 70's, early 80's.

I especially enjoyed his Thief in the Night, A Distant Thunder, Image of the Beast, and The Prodigal Planet.

"Thief in the Night" played a part in my coming to Christ. My girlfriend's church was showing these movies Sunday nights. That first night when they showed that movie was the first I'd heard of so many things and the pastor gave a great message after the movie and presented the Gospel pure and simple, the first time I'd heard that. I knew I had to repent of my sins and accept Christ as my Saviour and Lord!

• Members

"Thief in the Night" played a part in my coming to Christ. My girlfriend's church was showing these movies Sunday nights. That first night when they showed that movie was the first I'd heard of so many things and the pastor gave a great message after the movie and presented the Gospel pure and simple, the first time I'd heard that. I knew I had to repent of my sins and accept Christ as my Saviour and Lord!

My wife and I bought the Thief in the Night series on DVD a few years back I already had a copy on VHS back in the 90's and promoted the films every time I could get a chance.

I didn't agree with everything in those movies, but for the most part, I could see things happening just as Russ Daughton and Mark IV presented them. The beginning of the third one, where Patty saw her best friend Wenda beheaded was a real attention grabber. One day it will happen just like that. Friends, family members, neighbors, all will have to make a decision to either accept a mark of identification with the antichrist or be killed.

Sadly, many will accept the mark.

• Members

My wife and I bought the Thief in the Night series on DVD a few years back I already had a copy on VHS back in the 90's and promoted the films every time I could get a chance.

I didn't agree with everything in those movies, but for the most part, I could see things happening just as Russ Daughton and Mark IV presented them. The beginning of the third one, where Patty saw her best friend Wenda beheaded was a real attention grabber. One day it will happen just like that. Friends, family members, neighbors, all will have to make a decision to either accept a mark of identification with the antichrist or be killed.

Sadly, many will accept the mark.

Agreed. There are things I don't agree with but the movies are powerful, especially for those who know little or nothing about this aspect of Scripture. I know I'm thankful to have seen them back in 1981!

• Members

Agreed. There are things I don't agree with but the movies are powerful, especially for those who know little or nothing about this aspect of Scripture. I know I'm thankful to have seen them back in 1981!

While there are some errors in them, I do believe they are much closer to the facts than many of the newer End Times movies of today.

I agree, they are a powerful tool.

• Members

While there are some errors in them, I do believe they are much closer to the facts than many of the newer End Times movies of today.

I agree, they are a powerful tool.

Yes, and even though they are somewhat "outdated" as to style, I prefer them over the Left Behind movies.