• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Original Sin/the Sin Nature

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We also had a pet crow once. This was back when the Bee-hive hairdo was popular for women. Well lo and behold, my cousins came for a visit, and that ol' crow was sitting on the rail of our front porch. My aunt got out of the car and started walking toward the house...and that crow made a bee-line for the Bee-hive...and landed right on top of her hairdo. 

• Members

Now, it is not always easy to determine where temptation ends and sin starts. But temptation is not sin. But I believe most people believe that the fact we all get tempted is a sin nature. No, that is the flesh. The flesh simply lusts for whatever pleases it, it cannot choose what it wants. That is not sin. Sin is when we OBey it when it would transgress God's law.

Right, but saying that temptation is not a 'sin nature' because temptation is not itself sin relies on a definition of 'sin nature' that goes something like 'people have desires for things that are sinful and this is itself sinful'. I'm asking if you and others think that is what the doctrine of original sin proposes and/or what you think the term means. Because if all folk mean by the term is something like 'propensity to commit sin', then establishing that having the propensity isn't itself sinful is neither here nor there. I think it would be good if folk (not just Winman) defined very clearly what they mean by 'sin nature' because it sounds to me like different definitions are being discussed all at once.

• Members

NN,

Much appreciated postings. When I was very young I had a small turtle. Someone set the turtle shelter (or whatever it was called, his little living environment...a round thing which held water and had an "island" in it with a fake palm tree) on top of the TV and the turtle died. That was back in the 60s when TVs were filled with vacuum tubes and the sets got hot. We think we accidently overheated the turtle and that brought about his demise.

• Members

Winman ( Win Man hmmmmm.I wonder how he came up with that moniker.) is a very clever fellow.  He has a well laid out presentation complete with graphics and videos. 

It's almost, sort of, like an infomercial, don't ya think.  How long and how many places, I wonder, has he gone through all this well laid out stuff. 

Ahh, forget it, just sitting here letting my imagination run wild.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

That's what infomercials do; they play upon the imagination. This leads to thoughts of, "Well, I keep hearing this, maybe it really is something I should buy".

As our pastor tells us, turn that stuff off! If it's really something we need, we should already know we need it, we don't need to be told the same thing over and over again for a half hour or hour in order for us to suddenly realize we need something.

Put down the credit card, lay aside the check book, this widget isn't what is claimed and it's not something you need.

• Members

"Sin nature" - the natural inclination to yield to sinful desires.  It is wired into our fleshly bodies.  If we had no sin nature, it would be impossible for us to be tempted to sin.

Did Adam and Eve have a sin nature when they were tempted in the Garden?

Did Jesus Christ have a sin nature when he was tempted in the desert.

did you really just say we have to have a sin nature to be tempted to sin.

• Members

Did Adam and Eve have a sin nature when they were tempted in the Garden?

Did Jesus Christ have a sin nature when he was tempted in the desert.

did you really just say we have to have a sin nature to be tempted to sin.

Jordan, could you define what you mean when you say 'sin nature'?

• Members

"Sin nature" - the natural inclination to yield to sinful desires.  It is wired into our fleshly bodies.  If we had no sin nature, it would be impossible for us to be tempted to sin.

SFIC, so a 'sin nature' does not mean having sinful desires, it means a propensity to yield to those sinful desires. Is that what you mean?

Archived