• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

It's Worse Than You Think...

• Members

The AOG church I was saved in was also conservative, only a few would speak tongues quietly while praying if they did it loudly someone would interpret it. That was 1994 in Panama City, FL right before the Pensacola charismatic church thing that was on the nightly news. The other one I attended was started as a church planted with conservative Pastor, I never heard him speak in tongues, the church started out with just a handful of us but was rapidly growing, when I moved back 12 years later was when the young, hip, rock n roll, jeans cut, t-shirt wearing pastor took over. I attended for about 2 years maybe and quit in disgust when the hip pastor fired the youth pastor because he didn't fit the "look" the new pastor had in mind. Mind you he was only in his 40's and he was wonderful! Brought in A LOT of kids and families. That's basically when anyone over 40 left, who were core members from beginning and went elsewhere. Of course, he's gone now to a different church.

• Members

The choice of pastor for a church is so important and can make such a huge difference in a church. I've seen so many churches around here rush to fill a pastor's position only to end up with a pastor that really made a mess of that church. I'm so very thankful that back when our church needed to fill the pastor position they determined to not hire a new pastor until they found the right (biblically sound and who they believed the Lord would have as their pastor) man. The men selected for the board who would interview prospective pastors took over two years and interviewed well over a hundred pastors before the man who is our current senior pastor was interviewed and hired.

It's amazing how some people can come up with crazy and unbiblical ideas, put them forth as fact, build a new preaching paradigm based upon their "new" stuff and they always find many willing to follow them and support their endeavors. Some put forth these ridiculous ideas of things like "Holy Ghost barking or drunkenness" while others declare without any evidence that Jesus was a homosexual (often saying he had relations with the Apostle John) or that Jesus married Mary Magdelene, often with the claim they had children, and of course the idea that God is the father of all humanity and because of that and Him being all love everyone will be go to heaven. Then even more out there are those who claim to be Christ and regardless of the OBvious falsehood of their statement when compared with Scripture, they have followers.

It's so important that we know the truth and share the truth even if folks don't want to hear it.

• Members

I attended Assembly of God churches for years, I never talked in "tongues", got drunk, barked or howled.

I've never been to a church where folk do that, but I wouldn't mind having such a person for a neighbour if they kept the burglars away.

Archived