• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"traditions"

• Members

I lost a friend to the Orthodox Church years ago and much of it was over the "traditions" issue.

He had been raised as a child attending a Baptist church, unfortunately it was what many folks would call a legalistic church, but I would say a Pharisee type church would be more accurate. They were far more concerned with outward appearance of righteousness than true transformation and inward holiness. Anyway, that led to his family leaving the church before he was grown.

Years later he married a non-practicing Catholic woman. The religion issue wasn't a factor at that point because while both considered themselves to be Christians (they were secular Christians, not actual born again Christians) neither of them was interested in attending services.

Then they had a child. Both had been raised in church during their childhood; him in that Baptist church, her in the RCC. They both thought it important their child attend church and receive a Christian upbringing. After much discussion it was determined the husband would do a study of church history, talk with several different clergy from various Christian groups, and try to determine which one was closest to real, original Christianity that Jesus and the Apostles established.

To shorten this, I'll just get to the point he determined the Orthodox church was the closest to the original church and he believed they followed the biblical model the best. He believed the RCC was close, yet off in several areas.  He also believed that while all Orthodox churches were the real deal, the Eastern or Russian Orthodox (I don't recall for sure which, but I do remember it wasn't the Greek Orthodox) was the absolute purest or closest to the original. (After some more thinking, I'm fairly sure it was the Russian Orthodox he settled upon)

Finally, to the point, so much of his decision was based upon the traditions of the Orthodox church. His study and talking with an Orthodox priest led him to the conclusion that only the Orthodox church truly held to the traditions Christ and the Apostles established. He would constantly refer to the verses from the OP in this thread. There was really no way to argue against the Orthodox traditions because he was locked onto those verses and his perception that the Orthodox church held to the unwritten traditions which the RCC had deviated from and Protestants (every other Christian, according to him) rejected. Therefore, he considered Protestants (which to him would include us) as the farthest away from actually following the true teachings and traditions of Christ and the Apostles. He constantly accused any "Protestant" who argued against him of thinking of themselves as "little popes".

I spent months trying to get through to him but he was more tenacious than a pit bull. He had locked onto the Orthodox church and their beliefs and his mind was totally closed. This eventually led to our parting company and him fully immersing and engraining his wife and child into the Orthodox church.

• Members

Molded traditions are not necessarily the word of God or pure sound doctrines.

Traditions often time will replace and go against the word of God, Just as Jesus first defined the traditions that made null the commandments of God.

I propose that the traditions that Paul alludes too in 2Thess 3:6 are the ordained rules/ordinances suggested by the counsel in Jerusalem as written out in Acts 15:19, 20, 25-29 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood. . . . . .   It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,  Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.   We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.   For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;  That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well. and sent by letter to all the Gentile churches by the hand of Paul and Silas. Thessalonica was one of the places the church received the letter that Paul delivered unto them these ordinances, and apparently there were some who were still not following those things that they received from Paul the ordinances of which the Gentiles were to keep.

Traditions are a combination of God's word and Outward practice.  If our tradition is in accordance to the word of God then they are good.  But if they make null and void the word of God these traditions must be abandoned. 

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 7/9/2014 at 6:53 AM, AVBibleBeliever said:

I have read and re-read Paul's Writtings trying to figure out which traditions he taught in this Epistle.  I still am trying to figure it out but apparently Paul taught some traditions and he gives a command by inspiration to stand fast and hold the traditions which he taught.

(I realize you, the opening poster, may not be back to read this;  so for everyone)

Do you think only Paul was able to be inspired and/or for the Father in heaven to reveal through Jesus His Word, His Message, His Wisdom and His Understanding ?  (not just nor only at all this one Epistle, but all Scripture - I think Jesus Himself "opened their minds" to understand,  after the meal after walking with them on the road to Ephesus? (Jesus walked with two disciples and they did not recognize Him) )

What is written throughout the New Testament concerning Who the disciples obeyed and How they Learned to hear the voice of the Shepherd, Jesus ? ... and how the Father Revealed to them His Word...