• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's In Your Constitution?

paid4

• Members

I was wondering if anyone had something in their church constitution about church discipline. We do not at this time and we're having trouble with a few people within the church. They skipped the process outlined in Matthew chapter 18. I would like to add a simple process to our constitution for protection and clarity.I have come up with a 5 step process using scripture focusing on the individual first and then the accused. Any suggestions? Is there a need for this?

Discipline of Members:

If at any time a member should be found guilty of practicing sin openly in a willful manner, or is otherwise
conducting himself or herself in a manner of open disOBedience to the Word of God
, the church must take
action as follows:

1)      The pastor and deacons will constitute a discipline committee and must agree that such a one needs
discipline. These men shall have the sole authority in determining heretical departures from the
statement of faith and violations of the church covenant. If the pastor or a deacon is the subject of the
disciplinary matter, he shall not sit as a member of the discipline committee. He shall be entitled to
the same steps and considerations as any other church member, and be subject to the same discipline

2)      Every effort will be made to restore the one under discipline (Gal. 6.1)

3)      The pastor and deacons shall discuss the matter with the person in question if at all possible

4)      No charge against any member will be considered unless the charge is submitted to the pastor and
deacons in writing, bearing the signature of he person, or persons, making the charge, indicating that
they have first followed the principles of Matthew 18 in going to the person privately to attempt
restoration and forgiveness

Archived