• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Requesting Prayer

Miss Daisy

• Members

I'm requesting prayer for me and my daughter's relationship. She moved out last March/April in with my mom. Absolutely no respect for me. She turned 18 in February. She acts like she hates me lately. My heart is breaking on a daily basis. Sometimes I feel like I'm dying of a broken heart. Any dialogue with her ends up with us fighting. She leaves for college next month and I've been praying she'll have a Christian roommate. She was saved at age 11 but hasn't attended church since I started attending IFB. I've been crying for hours last few days after trying to talk to her. It really feels like she hates me.

• Members

:icon_pray: Praying for you. My wife's sister did the same thing. Gone the day she turned 18. Got married to some guy in the air force and moved to Texas, Arizona, SC before finally moving back home. After a while she finally started coming back around. Now we all meet every Friday night and have supper together. She'll come back around. Be patient.

• Members

Miss Daisy,

I'm sorry for the pain and heartache you are going through. As tough as it may be, sometimes time apart is helpful. If your daughter has given place to the devil then the only answer is spiritual which means much prayer.

It may actually help if you two are apart and if you don't communicate much for awhile. So often in cases like this our closeness (family) to the person makes it that much harder to keep our flesh out of the way. Time apart and limited communication may help to keep the flesh from inflaming things while we give ourselves to prayer, trusting in God to deal with this in a way only He can.

Our oldest son moved to Florida the day he turned 18. That was about 2 1/2 years ago. For some time after that when we would talk by phone the "buttons" would be pushed and by the time the phone call ended everyone was wishing the phone call had never taken place. A few months ago he called and we talked without any "buttons" getting pushed. There was still a measure of tension or something there, but after over two years we finally managed a simple, civil phone call.

Our oldest son still wants to enjoy the pleasures of the world rather than live for Christ but we are hopeful that prayers and his Christian upbringing will be used of God in some way to bring him into God's will.

As difficult as it is, we have to realize our children are now adults and responsible before man and God for their own actions. At times such as this that overused and rather trite saying of "let go and let God" may actually be appropriate. We can't make their decisions for them, we can't make them do what is right and best, so it's better for us to step aside, commit them to the Lord and be in diligent, fervent, consistent prayer for them.

Miss Daisy, I pray the Lord will grant you strength, comfort, wisdom and peace. I pray the Lord will do a work in your daughters heart, mind and life to turn her to Him and to you. May the Lord help each of you as needed and restore your relationship in accord with God's perfect timing.

• Members

Miss Daisy,

I'm sorry for the pain and heartache you are going through. As tough as it may be, sometimes time apart is helpful. If your daughter has given place to the devil then the only answer is spiritual which means much prayer.

It may actually help if you two are apart and if you don't communicate much for awhile. (Great Advice; Keep Praying)  So often in cases like this our closeness (family) to the person makes it that much harder to keep our flesh out of the way. Time apart and limited communication may help to keep the flesh from inflaming things while we give ourselves to prayer, trusting in God to deal with this in a way only He can.

Our oldest son moved to Florida the day he turned 18. That was about 2 1/2 years ago. For some time after that when we would talk by phone the "buttons" would be pushed and by the time the phone call ended everyone was wishing the phone call had never taken place. A few months ago he called and we talked without any "buttons" getting pushed. There was still a measure of tension or something there, but after over two years we finally managed a simple, civil phone call.

Our oldest son still wants to enjoy the pleasures of the world rather than live for Christ but we are hopeful that prayers and his Christian upbringing will be used of God in some way to bring him into God's will.

As difficult as it is, we have to realize our children are now adults and responsible before man and God for their own actions. At times such as this that overused and rather trite saying of "let go and let God" may actually be appropriate. We can't make their decisions for them, we can't make them do what is right and best, so it's better for us to step aside, commit them to the Lord and be in diligent, fervent, consistent prayer for them.

Miss Daisy, I pray the Lord will grant you strength, comfort, wisdom and peace. I pray the Lord will do a work in your daughters heart, mind and life to turn her to Him and to you. May the Lord help each of you as needed and restore your relationship in accord with God's perfect timing.

• Administrators

I'm so sorry, Miss Daisy. Very little in life can cause us pain like our children and their troubles, trials, and choices.  I would second John's post, and add a suggestion.

When your daughter goes to college, send her cards once in a while, maybe twice a month, with just a little note about how you love her, miss her, and are praying for her.  That's all. No preaching, no arguing. Just your love for her.  The Holy Spirit will work on her as she matures emotionally.

"Casting all your care on Him, for He careth for you."

Praying...

• Members

I'm requesting prayer for me and my daughter's relationship. She moved out last March/April in with my mom. Absolutely no respect for me. She turned 18 in February. She acts like she hates me lately. My heart is breaking on a daily basis. Sometimes I feel like I'm dying of a broken heart. Any dialogue with her ends up with us fighting. She leaves for college next month and I've been praying she'll have a Christian roommate. She was saved at age 11 but hasn't attended church since I started attending IFB. I've been crying for hours last few days after trying to talk to her. It really feels like she hates me.

If I could have a first name for your daughter I would appreciate that. I have added your daughter to my daily prayer list.

John, I've continued to pray for your son since "11/15/11" I look forward to the day this prodigal comes home to you. Could I have a first name for him?

I understand the strained conversations and our attempts to sound upbeat with our lost children, I have my own, Jessica. I've recently changed my daily prayer asking God to do whatever it takes in accordance with His will to save her.

This was my prayer for my oldest son; just this past Memorial Day I was blessed to hear him preach the morning message at my local church. God does answer these prayers but, be prepared for the power of God to do terrible and wonderful things when you ask "whatever it takes."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Miss Daisy, as of today I'm estranged from my sister, AGAIN. I believe Jesus wanted me to stand up for our elderly mother. My sister can't get over her childhood. She's now 43 years old, and our dad has been dead for 7 years. She used to blame him all the time but now that's he's dead she blames Ma for not leaving him. Dad never beat her but he had an awful tongue. I was talked to much worse than her and thrown around into the walls some but God took loads and loads of the hate from me. I was dad's care giver when he died. I end up loving him very much and he loved me the best he could. 

She's the most liberal Methodist you will ever meet. Its gotten so bad she no longer knows who she is praying to. Any god will do. She don't know if there's a heaven or hell. I was telling her today how history is repeating itself, and she blew up on me. She said, "I'd rather be dead than be like dad". That's how big her hate is, only the real GOD can replace that hate with forgiveness. She's been seeing a mental health doctor for about 15 years so far the best he can do is limit her outbursts to every few months. He has her exercising her anger away plus the talking appointments. 

I know if she comes back to the old fashion God who never changes and follow His pathways all will be well. I'll be praying for your daughter and the other children on here, please say a prayer for Lori. She has a 10 year old son and I don't want her to pass the anger on to him. 

(A weird side note, my Jesus was using our Pastor to prepare me for this storm for over five months with great seamons. I had no he was building me up for these last three weeks. I can look back over them and my jaw hits the floor. Preachers keep preaching you are helping Jesus' sheep.)

Archived