• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Altar Calls...

The Glory Land

• Members

Yes and No

If it is our regular members and attendees there - no

If any visitor is attending, I make sure to give a clear presentation of the gospel in the preaching and teaching, and then give an invitation at the end.

However...

My view on the invitation is much different than the "standard" view.  I hate emotional and mental manipulation.  I figure if the Holy Spirit is dealing with someone, they don't need me to twist their arm into making some "decision."  Therefore, at the end of the message, I will pray, our pianist will begin to play the invitational song, I may give a brief admonition to the congregation to examine their hearts on whatever the topic of the message was, and then give them an opportunity to either come forward, or pray right where they are in their seats, and spend some time with the Lord.  No arm-twisting.  Then after a couple of minutes, we will sing together.  Sometimes the Lord wants me to extend that prayer time, and give an additional exhortation on taking action on the said topic. 

All I know is that I did not have to have anyone twist my arm when I surrendered my life to the Lord Jesus Christ.  NOr did I need anyone to twist my arm on any of the other issues the Lord dealt with me about.  But people do need an opportunity to respond to the preaching.  So I just "put the ball in their court" and give them the opportunity to respond, realizing that they could just as well respond at home in private without "my help." 

• Members

Just to clarify, I am not opposed to giving Altar Calls - I am opposed to the emotional appeals and other manipulative methods many have adopted.  The Holy Spirit is still alive and well, and does not need me to prompt people to respond to the Bible.  I just give them an opportunity to respond.

• Administrators

My parents went to a church pastored temporarily by a man who was going into evangelism.  He was (is) a good preacher, but his invitations were excessive.  He would let it run almost as long as his message would go...and there were  very few people in the church. My dad used to say he'd preach 'em into it and then talk 'em out of it because of the length of the altar call.   :icon_smile:

We normally have an invitation at the end of each service. It's not prolonged unless a lot of people are still coming forward.  

• Members

I hate getting suckered into going down to the alter. Lots of preachers start out by asking a question that gets you to raise your hand. Like "do you want to be a better christian", slip up your hand so I can pray for you. Then they back door you and say if you raised your hand then you need to come down to the alter. Then you feel like you're OBligated to go.

• Members

Free churches don't have lots of things - like right doctrine for instance. .....

May I remind you that this is an IFB site - you should not be promoting your mOB here......

• Members

I thought "free churches" was a reference to those not under the dominion of the RCC???

If a church is a "Free" something or other church, in most cases it means they hold to reformed doctrine.
Around here the are free reformed, free Presbyterian, and even a free Baptist Church.
I have seen a free SDA, and even a free LDS Temple - and yes they do hold to a Calvinistic style of Mormonism.....

It is an indicative keyword of reformed theology.
It is a warning sign of false doctrine.

Archived