• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Debate Topics

• Administrators

Heheheh - it's set up a bit different from the men's forum because we don't want the admin going in there...so it's password accessible to those ladies who have the password.  And, so, I'm afraid it will show.   :wacko:   Unless BroMatt figures something else out. If we didn't show that there was a new post, the ladies wouldn't know.  So... :mellow:

• Moderators

Don't worry Dave, I'll access the forum via my sock puppet account 'Salyan' and feed back what they are discussing.

Ha! Nice try, buster. :knuppel:  Don't forget what happened the last time you borrowed someone's name...   :coverlaugh:

• Members

Don't worry Dave, I'll access the forum via my sock puppet account 'Salyan' and feed back what they are discussing.

I don't care what they are doing there.
I do care that I have a marker saying I have unread posts and I can't make it like all the rest.
CDO is a curse..... :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Do we need a special forum, or will a simple request for others not to contribute be sufficient?

I hope the intention of debaters will be to lay out what they understand to be the teaching of Scripture on the topic, & to seek to refine that teaching in the light of each other's contributions. To courteously work towards a basic agreement, & to agree on areas of disagreement, where further study will be required.

I would also hope that the debate will be instructive to watchers, who will become aware of the issues, & the reasons for, perhaps, serious disagreements. Too often a superficial "if you believe that, then all sorts of non-Scriptural doctrines follow" which are readily countered by "no, they do not follow, because they are non-Scriptural."

At some point, prOBably after only a few posts, the debaters will drop out & open the thread to all.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

It might also be helpful to remember we are under the NT, not the OT. As Christians are lives are to be lived in accord with the NT. In cases where something during the OT was to be incorporated into the NT, the Holy Ghost added that into the NT writings.

While a limited example, there are some who point to a passage in the OT of a prophet preaching from a wooden platform and have thus built the rule that right churches and preachers will have only wooden pulpits. No such instructions in the NT yet they reach back into the OT to make rules for Christian living that God didn't give us in or under the NT. (yes, like I said, a limited example, especially since there was no outright direction even for that prophet to use wood, but hopefully it helps convey the point)

I've encountered those who will take an issue and while there is absolutely nothing in the NT directing Christians to do "X", they point to this or that from the OT, often extrapolating or theorizing as they go, and then declaring that since "X" was the way then, that means we have to continue "X" under the NT; never mind that if God wanted that to be the case He could have pointed it out in the NT as He did with regards to a few other matters.

Perhaps I'm simply saying we should try to focus the debates with regards to Christian living so we aren't caught up in rabbit trails covering the OT when we should be considering what saith the Lord for Christians?

Along these lines, some also like to use the "all Scripture is profitable" as a catch all for saying anything in Scripture they want to say applies to NT Christians they can say so...even while they will argue against other things from the OT on the basis that it's not for NT Christians.

Your comment provokes me to ask you a question. What would you say to someone who would argue that because the NT makes specific statements about the OT, such as no more animal sacrifices, no more kosher food, etc., therefore it's not that we OBey only the things the NT commands us to continue to OBey from the OT, but rather the opposite, we only don't OBey the things from the OT that the NT tell us not to OBey, but we still have to OBey everything else? Does my question make sense? I'm not saying that's my position, I just wonder what you would say to such a person. 

• Members

Your comment provokes me to ask you a question. What would you say to someone who would argue that because the NT makes specific statements about the OT, such as no more animal sacrifices, no more kosher food, etc., therefore it's not that we OBey only the things the NT commands us to continue to OBey from the OT, but rather the opposite, we only don't OBey the things from the OT that the NT tell us not to OBey, but we still have to OBey everything else? Does my question make sense? I'm not saying that's my position, I just wonder what you would say to such a person. 

It would depend upon the context of their question. Many commands in the OT were specific to the nation and people of Israel while others were not. Not every command in the OT is specifically addressed in the NT.