• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Teen Daughter Is Going To Public School Now...

The Glory Land

• Administrators

I don't think any answer is wrong here. I believe the onus of teaching squarely falls on the parents. IT's our responsibility to teach our children "in the way", (Deut 6). We show our children through examples they experience during the day, when we are together at night, I am purposefully asking them how their day was, what happened, what they learned at school, just so I can listen to them and find something that we can talk about that they can learn from. If you look around and are watching, you can find examples in everyday life to use as illustrations to teach your kids about God and tie that to the Gospel. Even if we are watching tv and something comes on that is sinful,(nothing too graphic of course), but I will occasionally pause our DVR and ask them what they saw. was it good or sinful? what does the Bible say about this? there is so much out there to prepare your kids for the world.

BTW, we have our kids in public schools. we purposefully bought our house in this particular school district that  is one of the top in the state. IF we are dillegent about our children at home, I believe God will protect them, He protected Shadrach Meschah and Abednego, didn't He? (Daniel 1)

I absolutely agree that the onus falls on the parents (that is actually the main reason I am so pro-homeschooling).  And if parents take the time to find out what's gone on in school and teaches them diligently (as the Bible commands us to do) principles and truths from scripture, right from wrong, it can work.  Sadly, though, too many parents don't take the time to do it - even in a Christian school situation.

The sad truth, though, is that the public school system is getting more and more ungodly as it goes.  The Bible tells us to be simple concerning evil, not to look on it and talk about it...it is fact that we cannot go out of the world and so there will be much evil to which we will be subjected.  But to purposely put our children in the midst of it when there is alternative begs the question "are we really doing what is best for our child(ren)?"  That can only be answered by each set of parents. But said parents need to be brutally honest with themselves in light of scriptural teaching - and then be so, so, so diligent.  

I will say that, IMO, the public school won't do any more damage to a child than a bad Christian school - at least one knows what to watch for in a public school. Christian schools tend to be trusted totally by parents and so things can happen that are damaging to the children - and parents don't find out until years too late.  

When we moved here, this school district was #3 in the state.  It didn't matter to us, because we were planning to homeschool, but the reason I say this is:  When our son was 5, I was tutoring some girls who were in the public school - not only in the #3 district in the state, but supposedly in the best school in that district.  First and third grade - and neither of them could read.  At all...there were a lot of other issues, too. The mom told me about how she went to the school to bring something, and just popped over to the older girl's room to look in the window.  She saw the teacher totally ignoring the kids, her daughter crawling around on the table, and other kids playing around.  Real good teaching going on...That's not even the worse of what happens in some schools...

I guarantee, though, if my kids saw same sex kissing (even if opposite sex, too), I'd pull them from school. I'd teach them why it's wrong and why they will no longer be exposed to it.  And then, even if I didn't feel capable to teach them, I'd research and find the best curriculum, get whatever help I needed, and teach my kids.  I would not send them somewhere knowing they were going to be subjected to evil.  Yep, there's a possibility of it anywhere.  But if I knew what was there and sent them anyway...I just can't find Bible to support that.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Time and effort on the part of parents is treasure just as well as money.

Where your treasure is, so is your heart.

I am not sure whether TGL started this thread to pick a fight or to seek justification.

I am no good parent myself and have had my kids in homeschool, Christian and public. When in public it was always because of the treasures mentioned above.

No need to air your dirty laundry and expect justification from your peers brother. Putting a believer's kids in public school is sin plain and simple. Keep it to yourself or be honest about it and no one will judge.

You are spitting in the air with this thread and trying your hardest to convince us it is raining.

• Members

Can someone other than the parent, home school a child?  There are so many parents out there who work full-time jOBs, and can't be home to school their child.  What about those parents?

• Administrators

Yes, they can. I actually taught more than one at different times when I was homeschooling our son.  There are also often groups that work together to teach kids from different families.

One year I taught art class to a family and our son went to their place for phys ed.

• Members

Yes, they can. I actually taught more than one at different times when I was homeschooling our son.  There are also often groups that work together to teach kids from different families.

One year I taught art class to a family and our son went to their place for phys ed.

Thanks, HC.  I want to pass this information on to my BIL and SIL.  

I wish I would have known families that were home schooling while my son was growing up.  Although, that would have been another battle with my ex husband.

• Members

Don't forget to clean your ears, and cut your finger nails... :) Mom

They need to grow and see the truth my friends, around them. You are not protecting the kids, keeping them in the home all the time, but making them weaker to reality.

Where do you get the idea that homeschooled kids don't 'get out'?

They are just as sociable as other kids, just polite and well mannered because of proper training, that good parents do.

I have noticed that my children 'know' sin when they see it and turn away from such trashy things on their own.

Strength needs to have muscles to work.

Building character is what homeschooling does, it lets the children 'be' children, without all the pressures

of the sinful lifestyles out in the world.

You do not need to 'experience' any sin to be taught how to deny it in your life.

You need prayer.

And I do that for free, without experiencing the sin of disOBedience, by charging you money.

• Members

We are members of HSLDA. Membership is cheap and valuable for the occasional 'authority' prOBlem.

And I do work a fulltime jOB at a factory making a living and supporting my family.

People can afford to teach homeschool themselves. Adjustment on what you 'waste' money on is an important change.

My wife teaches, and I help with some of the mathmatics, and we graduated 1 last year and have 3 more to school.

:godisgood:

• Members

No need to air your dirty laundry and expect justification from your peers brother. Putting a believer's kids in public school is sin plain and simple. Keep it to yourself or be honest about it and no one will judge.

Where would you find this in Scripture and can you back this statement up? To me, this seems to be your opinion that you have turned into a command.Do you believe God is sovereign? I wasn't homeschooled, were you? How many here were?

• Members

Where would you find this in Scripture and can you back this statement up? To me, this seems to be your opinion that you have turned into a command.Do you believe God is sovereign? I wasn't homeschooled, were you? How many here were?

Public schools that your parents and we attended are now called evil? Isolation kicks in, for those that don't agree. We are not of this world. Live seperate, don't eat or drink with them?

• Administrators

Public schools that your parents and we attended are now called evil? Isolation kicks in, for those that don't agree. We are not of this world. Live seperate, don't eat or drink with them?

When my mom was in public school, TGL, they were a whole lot better than they are now.  She was there in the 40s/50s.  The Bible was still allowed, prayers daily, the pledge, true history, etc. 

When I was in public school, the Bible was not allowed.  The pledge was still said, but history was already being distorted.  Praying was allowed if you did it quietly over your lunch.  That was in the  70s - and in 3 different states (and before the Dept. of Education was formed by Carter [well, other than 1976 - that was my last year in public school, so no effects from the federalization of "education" were felt at that time]).  Thankfully, though, I was in a private and/or Christian school for most of my education, and I was (am) a voracious reader.  So I was able to learn a lot  - and I was able to learn how to learn. 

Today's public schools are a far cry from what they were even in the 70s.  And now with Common Core being pushed, they are going to get even worse.  Methinks some people will wish for a little isolation then...

You are absolutely right - we are not of this world.  We are in it, and there are times we have to be around things we don't care for.  Again, the question is: Is it the best for your child(ren)?  (meaning anyone's child(ren), not specifically anyone)

• Members

When my mom was in public school, TGL, they were a whole lot better than they are now. She was there in the 40s/50s. The Bible was still allowed, prayers daily, the pledge, true history, etc.

When I was in public school, the Bible was not allowed. The pledge was still said, but history was already being distorted. Praying was allowed if you did it quietly over your lunch. That was in the 70s - and in 3 different states (and before the Dept. of Education was formed by Carter [well, other than 1976 - that was my last year in public school, so no effects from the federalization of "education" were felt at that time]). Thankfully, though, I was in a private and/or Christian school for most of my education, and I was (am) a voracious reader. So I was able to learn a lot - and I was able to learn how to learn.

Today's public schools are a far cry from what they were even in the 70s. And now with Common Core being pushed, they are going to get even worse. Methinks some people will wish for a little isolation then...

You are absolutely right - we are not of this world. We are in it, and there are times we have to be around things we don't care for. Again, the question is: Is it the best for your child(ren)? (meaning anyone's child(ren), not specifically anyone)

This is a good reply and true.

• Members

Isolation from isn't the answer, Paul said that if we didn't want to be around sinners we would have to leave the world. Paul also instructed us not to eat or drink with "believers" that we're not living right. There is no way around not being around people of this world. I personally beleive it is a sin to hide from the world rather than engage it.

• Members

It can't be denied that the public school system is becoming more and more opposed to Christianity...in their actions and in their ideology.  Sure, it may not be as bad in some places...we have a lot of public school teachers who are Christians where I live...but they still have to teach secular ideologies without inserting their own opinions or beliefs. While opposing Christianity (trying to stop children from reading their Bibles, praying, etc...), they go out of their way to accommodate Muslim children...allowing them leave class to perform their prayers.

If one has no other choice than to send their children to public school, I hope and pray that they will at least take the time to go over what their children are being taught, and show them the truths of God's word if their "schooling" contradicts it.

Psalm 1:1
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

Psalm 26:4-5
4   I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers.
5   I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.

Proverbs 4:14-15
14   Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
15   Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.

1 Corinthians 15:33
Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Archived