• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My Teen Daughter Is Going To Public School Now...

The Glory Land

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is the point you miss on purpose again Jeff:

You come from an environment that has distorted the image of Jesus as a hippy, "mojo risen" liberal with an niv in one hand and a heiniken in the other. That is not the Jesus of God's Word and you absolutely know it in your heart. That is why you come to a forum like this that does worship the True Jesus of the Bible. You fight when you get here because your flesh doesn't want to lose to the Spirit. You keep coming back though and I doubt that you come back just to fight.

Here's the point YOU intentionally missed!
The Word became flesh, lived a perfect life,shed blood for my sins, died a cruel death on a cross, and raised three days later for my justification!!
Along the they way the Pharisees hated Him because Jesus pointed out their hypocracy. For their adherence to the Law and having no compassion. He called them vipers, open graves, and thy scorned Jesus because he ate with, dare I say it? Sinners!!!!! You know them, they lowly, the meek. And the Pharisees hated him more. Jesus showed them their hypocracy. They said John the Baptist didn't eat it drink wine so he must be crazy, Jesus ate and drank wine( and may I add, made the best wine ever for a wedding) and they called him a drunk and glutton.
I see everything perfectly now, it's you who has blinders on! Take them off Wretched, there's a beautiful world God created for you to share with others and show Jesus how awesome he really is!!
Praise His Holy Name!!!!

• Members

If you were showing the love, grace and mercy of Christ you so often bring up you wouldn't be declaring that ALL IFB are legalists, don't have compassion, focus upon the letter and not the spirit, all while accusing certain posters here of being such when they have exhibited no such traits.

In thread after thread you do nothing but attack IFBs all while trying to claim some higher ground of loving Jesus more and wishing there were more focus upon His love and grace. Meanwhile, rather than starting a positive thread on matters of grace you find any occasion to hijack thread after thread with the same anti-IFB attacks.

You have proven you are not here for sincere fellowship, discussion or purposes of edification. Given your postings to Dave, OFP and others, your purposes are clearly unbiblical and you are in violation of board rules as well as the commands of Jesus.

It's also a shame that you hijacked a man's thread (TGL) who was looking for input regarding the raising (training and instruction) of his daughter.

• Members

I'm praying right now Wretched that God open your eyes and reveal what He has shown me, bro, Jesus is so wonderful, His Grace, His Love, His Mercy!!!!

and where does Wretched say that he doesn't acknowledge Christs, Love, Grace and Mercy? Doctrine of Separation does not mean one doesn't engage the culture for Christ. You're false dichotomies fail again. Please stick to topic.

• Members

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Deuteronomy 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. (See also Deut. 11:9)

It is clear from these and other verses that we as parents are directly responsible for teaching our children in the way they should go…diligently. This is not a part time jOB, but a 24/7 jOB. When we sit, walk, lie down, or rise up we are to be training our children in the way they should go.

It can be successfully argued that when the words of the Bible were penned it was a much simpler time and the educational requirements were not nearly as complex, but I can just as successfully argue that God gave to us His word in the pages of the Bible and His words are timeless. They are just as relevant today as they were at the time of Moses.

If we send our children to a Public School we are releasing them from our influence in their training and placing them under some other influence for at least 7 – 8 hours per school day. When we do this, we are giving our endorsement of that institution to our children. We may list a few caveats and provisos, but to a child what they see and hear first and foremost is that Mom and Dad want me to go to that place and learn. They want me to get good grades so I must learn well everything that institution requires.

Everything that school teaches (as fact or theory) is not going to be under the guidelines of Philippians 4:8: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

In fact, I would argue a large percentage of what they are taught may lean in an opposite or, at least, variant direction. And that is just what they get from the school establishment. Then there is the teaching that goes on outside the teachers’ influence. Regardless how well our children are a picking friends there is still going to be some pretty strong negative influences impacting their lives, and while they are away from home they don’t have mom and dad right there to help them through these trials. Peer pressure can be an awfully powerful influence in a young person’s life.

Then there is the bullying. This is becoming increasingly more prevalent in schools today. A lady in our church HAD to pull her son out of school (he’s 13) because he was daily being bullied for his faith. It was so bad he was completely unable to cope. She’s a single mom so she thought homeschooling was not possible, but desperate times… He is now being homeschooled by another mom that homeschools her own as well.

It is interesting to note that homeschoolers excel far above their public school peers in every area, including socialization, and outperform them in college as well. The following is an article I’m sure the liberal Huffington Post hated placing in its pages:

Homeschooled Students Well-Prepared For College, Study Finds

It was not difficult to find articles that pointed to studies from both the US and Canada that showed how Home-school students out perform the Public Schools in every area from Grade Point Average to Communication, Maturity, and even socialization. I also found that it did not matter if the parents were certified teachers or not. The average home-schooler scores in the 87th percentile on annual assessment tests: 30% higher than the Public School average.

Train up a child in the way he should go. Their daily instruction should be imbued with whatsoever things things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report. things filled with virtue, and worthy of praise.

The Public School system is moving further and further from these values, and in many cases are directly opposed and make a mockery of Christian values. The only option a Christian parent has in such a case is to do damage control when the child gets home. How confusing that must be for the child.

• Members

There's been a mass exodus by the homeschooling community in our area...many families have put their high-school aged children in the public high-schools around here.

The general excuse is that they can't teach them the higher level subjects. I'll be honest, and it may draw the ire of some, but I think it's nothing more than laziness on the part of the parents in most of these cases in my area.  I say most cases, because I don't know everyone's situation. Anyway, I think it's laziness and selfishness on the part of the parents...if they were honest, they would admit that they do this to make their own lives easier.

We know of several who are already regretting it, but we in particular know of one girl who was put in public high school, and her parents can't undo what she willingly allowed to be done to her. These same parents now regret it; however, they are what I call "late-blooming Calvinists"...they haven't always been Calvinists but have become Calvinists within the last several years...so their TULIP took a while to bloom. Anyway, they rationalize this sad situation away as it was all part of God's plan, and his plan for her life will still come to fruition despite their mistakes and hers.

I didn't mean to turn this into a Calvinism thread; I was just using that situation to show that people will still find a way to justify their putting a child in public school regardless of the possible outcome...and when the outcome turns bad, they still justify it (despite their regrets) and blame it on God since "it was all part of God's plan".

• Members

Yes it's sad to see children tossed into the devils den, most often out of expediency, laziness, caving in to the world and such like.

There are so many options today for homeschoolers that if there is a true will and desire to homeschool, even when it comes to higher level classes and such, it can be done.

Too often I see parents toss their children to the world and the devil in these public schools for the sake of sports or other extra-curricular activities; including things like dating and proms!

Once the damage is done it can't be undone.

I've watched many children who were fully homeschooled and involved in a good church their whole life who then go on to productive activities, such as college, jOB or career, and their solid 18 years of grounding in the Word and not being raised by the world serves to make them much more mature (mentally and spiritually) so they are far better equipped to deal with temptation.

At the same time I've seen so many children from Christian homes who attended public school or who were partially homeschooled or Christian schooled and then put into public school (again, mostly for the sake of sports and/or dating and things like prom) who then go on to college where they quickly become sexually active, boozers and become entangled in the world, giving in to their flesh. Some, sadly, don't even make it through public high school before becoming pregnant (or getting a girl pregnant), a binge drinker, their hearts and minds polluted with OBscenity, their morals corrupted and their futures either greatly compromised or ruined.

When we stand before God will we want to proclaim we made sure our children got to play on a public school sports team or they had a chance to attend a prom with perverse, ungodly music and sensual dancing?

In light of eternity should we make our decisions based upon worldly factors or those things of God which are eternal?

• Members

There are good Christian teachers in public schools. Can they practices their faith there? Yes, by sharing their Love. public teachers are treated and paid very well. Not like the Christian schools, where the teacher's are under paid. Work harder and many times not appreciated.

• Members

TGL...please don't get upset with this, but I have to ask you a question...

If you aren't opposed to public school, then why do you have warnings about public schools on your website? One link says "Public School", and another link says "Students Prayer"...both of which are very good by the way!

I realize that the Public School article on your site is dealing with elementary school children...but aren't those elementary school children the same ones who have been indoctrinated (with what you warned about), and your daughter is now in school with those who have been previously indoctrinated? And doesn't the "Student Prayer" link apply to your situation.

Again, I'm not trying to stir anything up...just wondering about the situation when you seem to be so opposed to it on your website.

• Members

There are good Christian teachers in public schools. Can they practices their faith there? Yes, by sharing their Love. public teachers are treated and paid very well. Not like the Christian schools, where the teacher's are under paid. Work harder and many times not appreciated.

Absolutely! On all counts. I personally have two friends from my church that teach in public high schools. One in English, the other in Science. They are both high caliber individuals who care deeply for their students. I have learned from them however, that it is a constant uphill battle to hold to the standards they each know are true. They also inform me that every year they become more and more the exception and not the rule.

I do not argue that there are good, and even some godly teachers in the public school system, but that godly influence is effectually being silenced and even taught against. If this Common Core curriculum takes hold the fall will be exponentially quickened.

Please also recall that it is not only the teachers that students are exposed to, although in some schools that is bad enough. They also have to contend with their fellow students and the enormous pressure placed on them by their peers, The only thing a child should have to worry about in a school environment is what he/she is learning in the classroom, not about what they may encounter in the halls, at recess, lunch, or on the way home. For many students, the pressure of these latter issues far outweigh the first.

• Members

TGL...please don't get upset with this, but I have to ask you a question...

If you aren't opposed to public school, then why do you have warnings about public schools on your website? One link says "Public School", and another link says "Students Prayer"...both of which are very good by the way!

I realize that the Public School article on your site is dealing with elementary school children...but aren't those elementary school children the same ones who have been indoctrinated (with what you warned about), and your daughter is now in school with those who have been previously indoctrinated? And doesn't the "Student Prayer" link apply to your situation.

Again, I'm not trying to stir anything up...just wondering about the situation when you seem to be so opposed to it on your website.

I was against it, before I was for it, OBama... :).

You are correct, I am not happy with the way our public schools are going. They can be dangerous and God has been kick out. This is now in our life time, It is OK to let your kid get into a fight and defend them self, then show love. I remember beating a boy up as a kid. After we became best friends. What I said from the first post, was it is time to practices what they have learn in the real World. They are 15 and 17 years Old and are ready for it.

Archived