• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did Jesus talk more about hell than he talked about heaven?

Guest Guest

I guess the title says it all. I have heard "Jesus talked more about hell than he did about heaven" repeated quite a few times but I am not sure that is true. When I did a search hell is only mentioned 15 times in the gospels. Heaven is mentioned a LOT more than that. Admittedly, a number of times where heaven is mentioned in the gospels it isn't speaking about the third heaven, but even so, it seems the statement: "Jesus talked more about hell than he did about heaven" may be an error.

• Members

My husband says hell is talked about 8 more times (not multiplied, but individually 8 times) than heaven. Did you include "lake of fire", "fire", "death" etc in your search? Also I think that statement just applies to Jesus' ministry on earth...so if its in red, and it talks about eternal life or eternal death, it counts I think.

Well, don't forget to count that verses that contain phrases like, "everlasting punishment", "eternal fire", "judgment"*, "death"*, etc.

*These verses, of course, would have to be in the context of hell

:goodpost: That is what I have learned. Yes, as hell is mentioned many other ways in the Bible.

That is what I seemed to find as well. It did not even seem close even when you counted all the verses that were speaking of hell but used a different word like fire, condemnation, death, etc. It looks like this may have been a myth made up by someone along the line and just repeated by others who didn't check into it very closely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I was taught and learned on my own, that Hell was called different ways, just like Heaven was called different ways.

In the Bible, some words are used that at first, doesnt make sense, but if you study it deeper, it talked about the same way, but said different.

Think of Jesus;
John 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

In this verse, Jesus said that Lazarus is asleep, yea, if I was sleeping, I dont want to be awaken either, but later on, Jesus said he is dead. Now Jesus preached about punishment and fire and other things that if you dont accept the Lamp of God, there is no life after, and there will be the second death (Hell). So if you take all the words that might have a connection to Hell, most likely, it is.

(Hate it when I sit there, thinking of the verse, and it takes me a good 10 minutes to remember lol, lucky I found it lol).

• Members

May I ask, you say there is not after life for the lost, only the 2nd death. Are you saying there is no eternally punishment, just the 2nd death and its over with?

If, that is IF that is what you mean, I disagree 100%.

You did good, at times it seems for me to take 10 days to think of something instead of 10 minutes.

• Members
May I ask, you say there is not after life for the lost, only the 2nd death. Are you saying there is no eternally punishment, just the 2nd death and its over with?

If, that is IF that is what you mean, I disagree 100%.

You did good, at times it seems for me to take 10 days to think of something instead of 10 minutes.

"No life after" and the second death is part of the same thing, Hell. The "no life after" is another way I say it saying that for an unsaved person, there is no "eternally life" (Bible word), and they go to Hell, as the second death. Now, the second death is when the spirit dies, I might not be the best to explain what the Bible means, I know what it means, but the words dont seem want to come out... There is punishment, for eternally, none stop.... well to a point, then the judgement seat, then all those that were in Hell will be cast into the Lake of Fire, and stay there for eternally. I hope I kind of clear that up.

• Members

No, its not an everlasting life, but an everlasting punishment. Just think, the rich man is suffering at this time and he has yet to stand at the great white throne judgment, after which he will be cast into the lake of fire which is the 2nd death and experience eternal damnation forever.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Guess I'm the odd ball here, cause my read of the Gospels, writing or noting every reference to Hell from our Lord, I find he most assuredly talked of Hell more than of people going to heaven. Didn't do the math on numbers, but have heard some men whom I trust and respect say 9X the ratio. Maybe a good time to go back and do some counting..... But how many are up to that little exercise?

I think too, that it really doesn't matter in most circles, because most preachers lack the courage to preach hellfire & brimestone anymore anyway even if this ratio were determined and handed to them. Moreover, if a preacher is truly surrendered to the leading of the Holy Spirit in prep of his messages then it's between him and the Lord anyway as far as whether or not he preaches on Hell.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

The word "heaven" is used by Jesus more than the word "hell" - but as it has been stated, there are other words used in reference to hell. Also, the phrase "the kingdom of heaven" is not used in reference to the place of heaven, but God's rule in our lives, the outworking of this church age, Christ's millennial reign, etc. So, most of the references to "heaven" are not referring to the third heaven - that should be taken into consideration when trying to determine which Jesus spoke about more.