• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Ifb Colleges Need.

2bLikeJesus

• Members

None of the IFB colleges I know of have any kind of "ministry help" courses or majors.  They are all pastors, missionaries, evangelist, music or christian education only.  What is needed is a good bible college that teaches support skills such as construction, nursing, architecture, web design, small plane pilot training, etc.  All these skills are in high demand on the mission field as well as here at home for church building design and construction, medical missions work, bush pilots trained on small runway or no runway takeoff and landing, church webpage and e-commerce design and maintenance, but if you want to major in these skills for the work of God then you are forced to go to a secular college.   

Bro. Garry

• Members

None of the IFB colleges I know of have any kind of "ministry help" courses or majors.  They are all pastors, missionaries, evangelist, music or christian education only.  What is needed is a good bible college that teaches support skills such as construction, nursing, architecture, web design, small plane pilot training, etc.  All these skills are in high demand on the mission field as well as here at home for church building design and construction, medical missions work, bush pilots trained on small runway or no runway takeoff and landing, church webpage and e-commerce design and maintenance, but if you want to major in these skills for the work of God then you are forced to go to a secular college.   

Bro. Garry

That is what my husband's "help ministry" will be focused on, Brother Garry.  My husband is a contractor, who builds things out of nothing.  He has always been a laborer and has re-built our old IFB church two times.  God has called him into this ministry in the church in WV.  They are currently meeting at a retirement center.  The vision for the church is to buy a building, and restore it to a church.  I will be his helpmeet.   :)

• Members

Trade schools are a good alternative for the type of education you are talking about.  What I see happening is the "big" IFB schools continue to go down the slippery slope on many issues, which means even getting a good BIBLE education, and ministry education is difficult anymore.  I see the IFB's going back to small Bible Institutes run by local churches - which means it will be all these small schools can do just to get preachers trained. 

Personally, I don't have a prOBlem with sending my son to trade school, because the education focuses on the field, not on liberal arts. 

Furthermore, many homeschoolers learn how to get their kids good jOBs through apprenticeships or other connections - thus bypassing the formal education part, but still getting their kids good paying jOBs.

• Members

IFB Colleges would do well to focus more on the Bible than on the writings of other books.

Don't get me wrong, but the Bible should be our ultimate authority in all matters of faith and practice.  Yet many of the books and resources that the colleges use are man's own thoughts, many times watered down.  That is one reason preachers with degrees stand behind the pulpit and fail in rightly dividing the Word of truth on many topics.

• Members

IFB Colleges would do well to focus more on the Bible than on the writings of other books.

Don't get me wrong, but the Bible should be our ultimate authority in all matters of faith and practice.  Yet many of the books and resources that the colleges use are man's own thoughts, many times watered down.  That is one reason preachers with degrees stand behind the pulpit and fail in rightly dividing the Word of truth on many topics.

...or in some, they're taught the founder's "philosophy" of "how it's done" many times.

• Members

Trade schools are a good alternative for the type of education you are talking about. What I see happening is the "big" IFB schools continue to go down the slippery slope on many issues, which means even getting a good BIBLE education, and ministry education is difficult anymore. I see the IFB's going back to small Bible Institutes run by local churches - which means it will be all these small schools can do just to get preachers trained.

Personally, I don't have a prOBlem with sending my son to trade school, because the education focuses on the field, not on liberal arts.

Furthermore, many homeschoolers learn how to get their kids good jOBs through apprenticeships or other connections - thus bypassing the formal education part, but still getting their kids good paying jOBs.

I agree with the basic premise, but not with putting this kind of training into Bible Colleges - or trade schools.
Most churches have people with such skills, whether professionally or just by life.
They should train the young people to he able to do some of this stuff - basic building, making concrete mix, foundations, car repairs etc.
If a family is putting on an addition, ask the youngsters to come along and learn.
If you are doing a service on your old car, get the youth to watch.
Yes, for some, full on training will be necessary, but for most a basic knowledge will do it - and your church can supply that. (OBviously not piloting and the like ;) )

• Members

Man, the more I read this thread, the more thankful I am for our church and college...even our gym.   :biggrin:  :bleh:

That is why you are a mod on OB, HC.  It is to encourage the IFB churches in the rest of the country and world that are in dire straights.  H-E-L-P.   :binkybaby: 

And pool. Don't forget the pool. :wink

:nuts:

• Moderators

Since becoming a pastor in a small church, I have had to become a sort-of jack of all trades. I have done a little plumbing, digging, painting, and such. Due to my size there are some things I don't do, like getting under stuff, (buildings, cars, etc), We used to have two adult brothers that went to the church, who were contractors, and they took care of the bigger stuff. They have since left to find things for their kids, but we are friends and they still work for us sometimes, though we pay them more now..

Of course, now without the building, there's not much to do, but one day, if the Lord wills, we'll get another and I will put my pseudo-skills to work again.

Archived