• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussions & "debates" In Which I Would Like To Engage

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Having debate rules would presumably mean no name-calling or hatchet jOBs.

I would like to debate "Covenant Theology" to get rid of the "antisemitism" & "replacement theology" name-calling from this forum. 

I suggest a 5 post each format - e.g.

state your case

responses (3)

sum up

That would be enough to clearly state & defend our positions, while disputing the opponent, and establish Biblical credibility. 

Any takers?

• Members

Having debate rules would presumably mean no name-calling or hatchet jOBs.

It is not at all my intention to engage in "name-calling," save to employ the respectful title of "Brother" unto the other.  (Please note -- I do recognize that this would not be possible If I were to engage in some "debate" sometime in the future with one whom I did not believe was a believer, such as the atheist whom Brother Matt mentioned earlier.)

It is my intention to be guided in the discussion by the following rules:

Colossians 4:6 -- "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."

Ephesians 4:29-30 -- "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.  And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

2 Timothy 2:24 -- "And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient . . . ."

(Please note -- By using 2 Timothy 2:24 in this list, I am not necessarily implying that my "opponent" in the given discussion-debate has been taken captive by the snare of the devil at his will.  I am simply indicating thereby my intention to avoid a spirit of striving and to pursue a spirit of gentleness, graciousness, meekness, patience, and even teachableness.)

James 3:13-18 -- "Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you?  Llet him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.  But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.  This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.  For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.  But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.  And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."

• Members

6 posts to prove Covenant Theology?  You couldn't prove it in 500 posts, much less 5.

And I'm guessing heckles and flippant one-liners won't be allowed in this debate section either. What will SFIC and Miss Linda do with themselves, I wonder?

• Members

It is not at all my intention to engage in "name-calling," save to employ the respectful title of "Brother" unto the other. 

Good stuff, PSM. For clarity, I was talking generally about what would be good for a forum for debate, not what I anticipated you would get up to in it.  :icon_smile:

• Members

Good stuff, PSM. For clarity, I was talking generally about what would be good for a forum for debate, not what I anticipated you would get up to in it.  :icon_smile:

Brother "Alimantado,"

I did indeed recognize that you were not making a specific charge against me, but that you were simply talking about general rules for the "debate."  However, I thought that I might use your comments as an opportunity to express my intentions in governing myself for the discussion-debates in which I might engage.

(Yes, I "used" you.  I apologize for being so "manipulative" and "mean-spirited.")  :th_popout:

• Members

I would like to debate "Covenant Theology" to get rid of the "antisemitism" & "replacement theology" name-calling from this forum. 

I suggest a 5 post each format - e.g.

state your case

responses (3)

sum up

That would be enough to clearly state & defend our positions, while disputing the opponent, and establish Biblical credibility. 

Any takers?

I don't know how frequently I can post, but I would be willing in assisting refuting Calvinism and infant baptism, if that what covenant theology entails.

• Members

I'd like to see one between Dr. Ach and Covenantor!

Yeah, ME TOO, just saw this thread.

I would also like to debate every person on the forum that defends Calvinism. Me against any Calvinist, or all of you at once, doesn't matter to me.

• Members

One at a time would prOBably prove to be more amicable and profitable, Doc.

I'd rather get them all out of the way to avoid side shows for those who think the Calvinist forgot something. Or it can be 1-1 with allowances made for the Calvinist to use handicaps, life lines and dial-a-Calvinist :)

I'll catch up more after the week end is over. We passed out tracts today during a homo parade which went over about as well as a model duck posing at a gun range, and then before sunrise we are moving our stuff to another family member's house in Jaffa. I'm sick of Tel Aviv. When I had to walk over a rainbow colored crosswalk to get my coffee, that was it for me LOL.

Archived