• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Will Happen If I Raised My Hands In Your Church?

• Members

there is a difference between raising your hand up to the lord and raising your hands and waving and swaying like the charismatics do.it's kinda like the wave at the ball game meaningless.

I got no prOBlem in someone lifting up their hand to the Lord giving him glory.

• Members

It really angers me that this issue understandably makes many IFB uncomfortable, and only because of what the charismaniacs and the stand-and-sway crowd has done to an otherwise entirely scriptural response to God in worship.  Take away what the charismatics have done with this, with their love of showing their "spirituality" by outward displays of tongues, hand-raising, rolling in the isles...you name it as long as it brings attention to THEM and how spiritual they are,  then Baptists would prOBably be a lot more comfortable with it.  We have a couple in our church that on occasion will raise their hands and have so for many years, and while no one says anything, the practice hasn't caught on in our congregation, which I think is sad.

Bro. Garry

I think motivation is the key: appearance vs. adoration.  If the reason for it is right, then to each his own.

• Members

It really depends on if you think it's praise or worship. Do I have a prOBlem with raised hands. No. Just don't tell me that's how you worship.

Praise OK sure whatever.

Calling it worship is biblically wrong. EVERY account of someone worshiping God in the bible says they fell down. Either as dead or in worship.

Worship is from a prostrate position. Worship is when you know who you are and who HE is in all reality. Worship is God first and only with no thought of self.

• Members

In the Church I was ordained at back in the late 80's, my uncle was the loudest shouter in the building.  And he had a funny way of shouting too.

It was always "Amen!  Glory Hallelujaaaaaaaahhhh!"  (Yes, the last syllable would roll about as long, if not a little longer, than the rest of the shout.)  LOL.

But then, he would look behind him to see who was watching with a big grin on his face.  LOL

Do I think he was acting?  Nah.  That is just how my uncle praised.  He was a simple man. Went to school one day in his life.  Teacher corrected him with a slap on the wrist for talking back.  He went home that day and never went back.  So, he was not very educated.  But I believe he loved the Lord. 

And preach?  He could preach the fire down, so to speak.  PrOBlem was, he could not read.  After one sermon that he was allowed to preach, our pastor and a few of us noticed him pick up his Bible from the pulpit as he prepared to walk back to his seat.  His Bible, while open, had been upside down the entire service!  But He knew the Word and could preach it.

Ask him to spell any word in the Bible?  He couldn't do it.  Ask him to spell "dog" and he might rattle off 25 or more letters.  Funny way to spell dog, but in his mind, it was the perfect way to spell it.

He was murdered a couple years back by his nurse/caretaker.  Rest his soul.

Archived