• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Will Happen If I Raised My Hands In Your Church?

• Members

They are southern Baptist churches here that would take cover under the benches.  :lol:​ 

Everybody would think you was praising the Lord. It would be seen in the same way if you said Amen during the preaching or while a song was being sung or someone was bragging on how good God is. If a tear was rolling down your face no one would think you was having a heart attack. 

If you got down and rolled in the floor someone would coming rushing over to see if your heart was attacking. I might call 911 so they could rush you to the hospital.

We had a lady with a seizure one time. Things was shorten and we went up and prayed for her. Her husband asked for us to go home and we did. She got okay. And was back the next service. 

• Members

Will I be lost or weird, I have no prOBlem with someone raising their hands and praising God, do you? 

Can I get a  :amen:

While my church doesn't raise our arms while praising God, I have been in churches where people do.  People have different ways of showing glory, honour and praise to the Lord.  I don't see a prOBlem with it, as long as it isn't an emotional show.  KWIM?

• Members

:amen: If there are genuine tears, heartfelt shouts, sincere calls of "Amen!" and such, praise God! Yet if someone simply has a habit of calling out "Amen" every 20 seconds, or a preacher puts his acting skills to work for drama, that's not Christ honouring and really detracts from a service.

• Members

While my church doesn't raise our arms while praising God, I have been in churches where people do.  People have different ways of showing glory, honour and praise to the Lord.  I don't see a prOBlem with it, as long as it isn't an emotional show.  KWIM?

about a third of our church does it during singing, I dont have a prOBlem with it.

• Members

about a third of our church does it during singing, I dont have a prOBlem with it.

I ran out of "likes" again Jeffrey.  Otherwise, I would have liked your post.  I have no prOBlem with it, either.  If that is the way Christians praise and worship the Lord, who am I to tell them it is wrong?  Many Baptist churches down south raise their hands in service.  

• Members

It really angers me that this issue understandably makes many IFB uncomfortable, and only because of what the charismaniacs and the stand-and-sway crowd has done to an otherwise entirely scriptural response to God in worship.  Take away what the charismatics have done with this, with their love of showing their "spirituality" by outward displays of tongues, hand-raising, rolling in the isles...you name it as long as it brings attention to THEM and how spiritual they are,  then Baptists would prOBably be a lot more comfortable with it.  We have a couple in our church that on occasion will raise their hands and have so for many years, and while no one says anything, the practice hasn't caught on in our congregation, which I think is sad.

Bro. Garry

Archived