• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Another Ifb College Succumbs...

• Moderators

We read in the book of Acts and the Epistles how the early churches helped one another. Churches that were doing financially well would take up a collection to help those struggling. We even read of some who were struggling themselves yet gave to help those struggling more.

Today we read of things like churches which basically are into real estate as they buy up everything around them whether there is actual need or not. We read of churches pouring multiple millions into building impressive looking new churches, schools, auditoriums, etc. Nothing wrong with expanding if it's needed, but often many millions could be saved by simply adding on to the existing facility or through buying a more modest new building. Pastors in many of these churches are paid wages that put them in the top money earners in their area. Add to this the paying of many church "staff" to do the things folks used to volunteer to do and hundreds of thousands (or more) dollars are spent where such shouldn't be necessary.

Meanwhile, down the block, in the next town over, in another State, there is a small church with a pastor barely getting by. His congregation is made up of folks on the poor end of the economic scale. The church has needs but no finances. Other needs that volunteers could tend to go unmet because the church is small and without members with the needed skills. How far could a little financial support from a wealthy church go to help such congregations?

We see wealthy churches putting together teams to go build houses in Mexico, for instance, (it's good to help the needy) but they are blind to the needs in their own back yard; blind to the needs of their fellow brothers/sisters in Christ.

Tending to our own, helping our own, should be a priority, but for many they seem to get caught up in the abundance of financial resources and can only see ways to "grow" their own ministry through spending the money on themselves, often to extravagance.

I went to a conference some years back and one of the preachers was told by another older, shall we say, successful pastors, that if a preacher goes and starts a new work, and can't support themselves and be able to draw a livable wage from that church, within 6 months, they are a failure and should get out of the preaching work.

Needless to say, that wasn't the case, and praise God he remained in the work. And oddly, the pastor who told him this, himself did not 'make it' in six months.

But see, there are those who tell young preachers this sort of thing and they believe these big-time, senior pastors and believe themselves to be failures. I once heard a man tell of how he started a church in a town of three hundred and within a year or two he had more than half of them as a part of his church. Now, I might believe this, if his church is the ONLY work in town. But even Jesus, after 3-1/2 years of preaching only had 120 followers. So of course, someone like me, in a small town, with a tiny group after 12 years, how might it make me feel?

But to my point, these stories are true, and they focus on a real prOBlem: many preachers believe this kind of malarky and figure that any church in America that can't make it on their own is a failure and a waste of time and money. So small churches flounder and close down in small towns where often, especially today, there just isn't money and ability to make any, though there are still souls needing to be saved. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mike, I really appreciate what you are saying.  Here in the Panhandle of Texas, there are several small towns without a faithful gospel witness.  It seems that none of the IFB's in the area want to do anything about it either.  I know that young "preacher boys" fresh out of Bible college are going to want to do something "big".  The emphasis put on "big" ministries and "full time Christian service" in the schools and larger, metropolitan IFB churches quenches the burden for small, rural communities. 

• Moderators

An evangelist I had out to our church, Johnny Campbell, used to really slam those young preacher kids who ust want to start out in an already successful, large work with a big paycheck, a house and a car, OR to stay and be 'associate pastors' in their own large churches.  i am all for the large works, in the arge communities who runs 2-3,000, but yes, it would be good to see young preachers with the energy to go and start, or take over, small, rural churches, and be willing to work to make it happen.  We had 7 today in AM service, including my wife and I, but there is no place I would rather have been. There is a great satisfaction in just continuing, and even though a part of me would not mind going elsewhere and sitting under preaching, and being a help to another pastor, yet I could barely stand not preaching-not for the glory or attention, but because its in my breast to do so.

Today I put out my first church 'newsletter'-I used to do a monthly letter years back, but ust didn't have the time-I have re-started it, with a desire to be bother to edify the church, as well as to get out in the community-another method to reach them. If they won't come and they won't hear, maybe this might help. I hope to put in some local items, as well, to make it a community-type thing, while still keeping it biblical and applicable to spiritual needs. I call it The Herlong Baptist Apostle.

• Moderators

Ukulelemike don't forget Noah only had 8 people (including his self and his wife) who believed his preaching. 

And Jeremiah had none, save maybe Baruch his scribe.  True-we are judged by our faithfulness, not by our numbers

• Members

The IFB church in WV, where God has directed my husband to serve in the "helps ministry" has very few people.  However, when we visit, one can surely feel the Holy Spirit moving in that church.  Our friend's oldest son, is also going to plant another church down the road.  He is just praying where the Lord will lead Him.

These little IFB churches, where pastor's remain faithful, are not overlooked by the Lord Jesus Christ.  My church was established in 1982, in my hometown.  The original pastor went home to be with the Lord, shortly after establishing the church.  He passed on of cancer.  My first pastor, now evangelist, took over the church from there.  The little country church, that used to be located in the town I grew up in has been through many trials and tribulations;  however, we have never had a church split.  God has also taken one man out of my church, to plant an IFB church just south of me.  This pastor went to Bible college at the other church my husband and I attended for four years.  He has taken what he learned in Bible college and in my IFB church to  the church he pastors to further "The Great Commission."  I love it when I see all of the IFB churches, in my area,  interacting with one another on Facebook.  We encourage each other in the faith.  It also blesses my heart when I see pastor's commenting on one another's Timelines.    

• Moderators

With this past Father's Day, it begs the question: Why do we spend time in churches honoring father and mothers on those days, birthdays and anniversaries? Isn't the whole purpose of the church to honor the Lord? Aren't the memorials we are to do there supposed to be about what He has done? Even the July 4th and all that, it just seems to me that we are putting our affection on the temporal rather than upon Christ. I no longer do big homorariums to mothers and fathers and birthdays and anniversaries-because those are all about US, when we should have our eyes upon Him. Or at least that's how I see it.

Sorry, back to the topic. Not sure why I felt that was necessary, but it just popped into my head, I guess in context of the many churches and colleges that are compromising.

• Members

With this past Father's Day, it begs the question: Why do we spend time in churches honoring father and mothers on those days, birthdays and anniversaries? Isn't the whole purpose of the church to honor the Lord? Aren't the memorials we are to do there supposed to be about what He has done? Even the July 4th and all that, it just seems to me that we are putting our affection on the temporal rather than upon Christ. I no longer do big homorariums to mothers and fathers and birthdays and anniversaries-because those are all about US, when we should have our eyes upon Him. Or at least that's how I see it.

Sorry, back to the topic. Not sure why I felt that was necessary, but it just popped into my head, I guess in context of the many churches and colleges that are compromising.

It boils down to making people feel special, Ukelelemike.  LOL

• Moderators

It boils down to making people feel special, Ukelelemike.  LOL

But doesn't knowing that Christ died for them, make them feel special enough? Is it the jOB of the church to make them feel special? Edified, yes, but special? That the Lord has chosen us to be involved in the work of eternity should make us feel special. That Christ paid for my sins makes me feel special. That I am a child of the king should make me feel special. That I was born? Why should I be made to feel special? When I consider my children who I love and see them grow, that makes me feel good-the church doesn't need to do that for me. When I consider my whife who lives me and that I love, that makes me feel special-the church doesn't need to do that-the church should take our eyes off of US and put them on HIM.

In my ever-so-humble opinion. :th_tiphat:

• Administrators

We don't give big honoraria, but we do give small gifts to certain people - like the most recent first-time grandpa, etc.  Not to make anyone special or to lift them up.  Just as a congrats for.  Noting unbiblical in that.

• Members

But doesn't knowing that Christ died for them, make them feel special enough? Is it the jOB of the church to make them feel special? Edified, yes, but special? That the Lord has chosen us to be involved in the work of eternity should make us feel special. That Christ paid for my sins makes me feel special. That I am a child of the king should make me feel special. That I was born? Why should I be made to feel special? When I consider my children who I love and see them grow, that makes me feel good-the church doesn't need to do that for me. When I consider my whife who lives me and that I love, that makes me feel special-the church doesn't need to do that-the church should take our eyes off of US and put them on HIM.

In my ever-so-humble opinion. :th_tiphat:

I agree, Ukelelemike.  My first pastor never allowed clapping after a specials, but his son does.  My husband and I don't clap, but say "Amen."  I suppose it is up to each individual person.

We don't give big honoraria, but we do give small gifts to certain people - like the most recent first-time grandpa, etc.  Not to make anyone special or to lift them up.  Just as a congrats for.  Noting unbiblical in that.

We recognize our Veterans and had flowers for Mother's Day.  Yesterday, my pastor didn't give anything out for Father's Day b/c he said, he didn't think the men would mind.  I don't care if I get flower's on Mother's Day; however, my hubby built me a nice planter to put them in.  There were leftovers, so my pastor's wife told me to take them, otherwise they would go to waste.  My hubby also made his mother a smaller wooden planter.  My son also gave me a bouquet of roses on Mother's Day with a beautiful card.  His also gave his grandma (my hubby's mom some - with a card) and white roses to put on my mother's grave.  It was my first Mother's Day w/o her.  Her 84th birthday would have been the next day.

Archived