• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

About To Cause A Church Split......

DaveW

• Members

Me, my son, and one of the men spent yesterday rotating the church auditorium through 90°. Well not the auditorium itself, but the contents of it. ;)

I have talked about doing it off and on for the last 12 months, but Sunday this man came and said - let's do it tomorrow.

So we did. Moved the platform - which was heavy.

Moved my office from one corner to another so now it is at the back of the auditorium.

Moved all the chairs around - and this is the kicker - we used to have three "blocks" of chairs with two aisles, now we have fours blocks of chairs with three aisles - and that means that people can't even just rotate "their seats" :lol:

Moved the Piano (of course) to put it back next to the platform.

Moved the small bookcases that have hymn books and visitors Bibles in them.

Bought a couple of new bookcases to put the plethora of stuff that has been collected somewhere.

So as a result I hope we don't, but I am preparing for a church split this Sunday.

My only consolation is that we didn't get new carpet with it all - That would have been the last straw I am sure......

On a serious note, it means that the double entry doors to the auditorium are now at the back and we can use them as they were intended to be used. My wife had a look last night and she loves it; I really like the way it looks now as well, both from the doors and from the platform.

(You will note that this is in fun and games - just in case someone has temporarily misplaced their sense of humour).

• Members

It might be fun to watch the congregation stake out their territory and establish "their seats" in this new set-up before someone else gets them!

Our pastor once really stirred the hornets nest when he had everyone get up and change seats before services began!

• Members

My wife has chronic neck pain so our first visit to what is now our home church I allowed her to choose where to sit so she would be most comfortable to see the pastor preaching. We have sat in the same place in that pew since then.

• Members

At least the front 2 rows will be open as long as you keep Baptist on the sign outside. Let us know how many are crawling around looking for their name on the bottom of the chairs. :clapping:

• Members

How does one move an office?!

We are blessed with a building, but it is modest.
We have the auditorium, our men's and ladies' rooms, and the kitchen.
We have an outbuilding for Sundays school - two rooms.
As a result, my "office" is a petitioned area in one corner of the auditorium.

I want to set up a video camera to catch people's reaction when they come Sunday morning. :lol:

• Members

That's right Miss Daisy. Years ago there was long and heated (no pun intended) discussions on the pros and cons of whether or not the church should get air conditioning! No church split, but it's amazing just what some folks will have prOBlems with.

• Members

wow you're brave! NOBODY likes change, even for the better :)

Well it looks HEAPS better this way, but yes I fully expect criticism.
With the people we have I doubt anyone will leave, but there will be some grumbles.

Sometimes it's just gotta be done. ;)

Archived