• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Be Thankful If...

• Members

...you work a normal jOB...with normal hours...weekends off...holidays off...you have family time...leisure time...etc...

Please forgive me, but I'm just tired.  I've had none of that in 20 years.  If memory serves me correctly, I've had 2 Christmas Days off and no Easters off in 20 years...not to mention Thanksgiving and other holidays that I've always had to work on.  I've worked every weekend for the last 20 years (and I don't just mean Saturdays), but I always made it to church. I've fit in family time when and where it was remotely possible...which is hard to do when you work 8 hour shifts, 12 hour shifts, 16 hour shifts, and 24 hour shifts...day shifts, night shifts, and split-shifts depending on what's needed.

My family has sacrificed a lot because of my work, and it's just getting tiresome.

Don't get me wrong...I'm thankful to the Lord to have work, but at times, I wish I could have a normal life for once.

Sorry for the pity-party...I just want everyone to know that if you get to lead even a half-way normal life...

Be thankful to the Lord for it!   :icon_pray: 

• Members

Apart from being a wife and mother, what sort of work has that sort of requirements?

I've done some split, night, and just generally weird shifts; extra long days, normal workday, then back for night shift etc.

Glad I don't any more.

Hang in there. ;)

• Members

Amen!

...and WOW! 20 years of that :bigshock:

When I was in my late teens I worked in a physically demanding factory jOB, working a swing shift where you worked first shift for three days, 2nd for 2, 3rd for 2, then back to first for 2, 2nd for 3, 3rd for 2, and it just kept rotating like that. Absolutely no time at all for establishing any meaningful sleep pattern. Family matters and other things were in a constant state of flux. At least I had the advantage of being young and able to adapt somewhat, but even then, it was very tough. I was glad to move on to more normal working hours eventually. No way would I have wanted to do that for 20 years and at my age now I couldn't even consider such a schedule!

I have had a couple other jOBs where I worked 10 hour shifts 6 days a week and occasionally 7 days a week. The pay was always good but the lack of a break from work was demanding. I've only had one jOB where I worked holidays but I didn't have to stay in that jOB long.

Praise God for the jOBs we have and may the Lord improve the conditions for us in His good timing.

I'll say a prayer for you brother, that's a long, tough row to be hoeing!

• Administrators

...you work a normal jOB...with normal hours...weekends off...holidays off...you have family time...leisure time...etc...

Please forgive me, but I'm just tired.  I've had none of that in 20 years.  If memory serves me correctly, I've had 2 Christmas Days off and no Easters off in 20 years...not to mention Thanksgiving and other holidays that I've always had to work on.  I've worked every weekend for the last 20 years (and I don't just mean Saturdays), but I always made it to church. I've fit in family time when and where it was remotely possible...which is hard to do when you work 8 hour shifts, 12 hour shifts, 16 hour shifts, and 24 hour shifts...day shifts, night shifts, and split-shifts depending on what's needed.

My family has sacrificed a lot because of my work, and it's just getting tiresome.

Don't get me wrong...I'm thankful to the Lord to have work, but at times, I wish I could have a normal life for once.

Sorry for the pity-party...I just want everyone to know that if you get to lead even a half-way normal life...

Be thankful to the Lord for it!   :icon_pray: 

I hear you!  My hubby's line of work has him out 7 days (nights) a week.  If he wants any time off, he has to pay for someone to come in and do the jOB.  Needless to say, that is a rarity.  When our son was growing up, we had exactly two vacations.  We did visit my inlaws a few times, and when my folks were in WVA, them as well. But it was quite expensive and so did not happen much.  Even now, to just get a night completely to ourselves, it is too expensive.  I've gone to WA to visit my parents, but hubby had to stay behind because of $$.  He wasn't able to make it to my dad's funeral for that reason.  While our son was growing up, he missed a lot of things because of it.  He had to sleep days, while we were up and about.  We didn't see a lot of him.

We are beyond ready for a change...(don't get me wrong, we are thankful he has work.  But he is getting weary, weary, weary....we know how you feel, NoNi!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow! To all who may have prayed about my situation...thank you!

The very next day after I posted this topic, we found out that there were going to be some changes made in our work schedule.

Today, the City Manager informed us that we need to hire some more help. 

Less money...but more importantly...more time!

Thank you all and thank you Lord!

• Members

Before my medical retirement from the Cleveland Municipal School District in 2003, through State Teacher's Retirement System of Ohio, I had three jOBs.  I worked as a full-time school teacher, worked nights as a tutor, and worked Summers at a day care camp that only accepted accredited school teachers.  And, then of course, the best jOB ever... being a full time mother.

As my seizures persisted, my boss encouraged me to apply for early retirement through S.T.R.S., as things were drastically going downhill in the school system.  More so than usual.  She applied for a jOB downtown, that year, to get out of the jOB of being principal.  Anyway, I spent two weeks in July of 2002, writing my work history along with medical prOBlems.  I received my retirement right before Christmas in 2002.  7 months before that my husband was fired from his jOB of 16 years b/c his boss couldn't afford him, anymore.  The owner of the company passed away, and his boss couldn't deal with anything work related anymore.  My first retirement check came in January of 2003.  What a huge blessing!  My hubby worked on cars, outside in our garage until starting his own business on September 30th of 2003.  That was also his birthday.

It was also in May of 2003, that I was saved.  The Lord took me out of my working girl jOB, and told me when I was saved, that He wanted me to work for Him.  Before my salvation, I had been witnessing to my students, when the opportunity arose.  It was through their creative writing that we were able to talk about the Lord.  They had many questions, so when the Lord opened that door, we talked about God.

Anyway, my family is so blessed.  More blessed than I could possibly imagine.  Sure, things get tough, but with Jesus' help, knowing He is watching over us, protecting and guiding us.  I am able to spend more time in prayer, reading my Bible, witnessing to the lost, and spending time in fellowship with like-minded Christians.  Yes,  :godisgood: .

Praise the Lord, NN!  "We have not because we ask not."  :)

Archived