• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is God Forcing Me To Marry?

• Members

It is true that Paul was not married at the time of writing his first epistle to the Church at Corinth.  However, having been a Pharisee, tradition holds that Paul had to have been married at one point in his life prior to the Damascus Road Conversion Experience.  Jewish tradition says that the Pharisees were married.

More than likely, at the time of writing the epistle to Corinth, Paul was either divorced or widowed.

• Members
Haven't misprepresented God's Word at all. I simply did not put a space between the two words. It is still the same message. God said man needs someone like himself in that passage. And who did God create for him to be a help meet? Another animal? No. Another man? No. A Woman. And God said for this cause shall a man leave his father and mother and cleave unto a wife... for what cause? To find a helpmeet. Why? Because it is not good for him to be alone. Sorry prophet1, no misrepresentation on my part at all.
You are going to pretend that there isn't a whole system of false doctrine on the home, launched from this misrepresentation, wildly popular among us IFB, from the likes of Pearl? You have made 'help' an adj., and 'meet' a noun, by your re- positioning of God's Words. This is, by definition, a misrepresentation. The Oracle of God is not ours to play with.

Genesis 2:18   And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

Genesis 2:20   And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

"help meet"

My two cents... "an help" with "help" a noun. The word "meet" is an adjective describing the noun "help." Webster's 1828...

meet

MEET, a. [L. convenio.] Fit; suitable; proper; qualified; convenient; adapted, as to a use or purpose.

Ye shall pass over armed before your brethren, the children of Israel, all that are meet for the war. Deut.3.

It was meet that we should make merry--Luke 15.

Bring forth fruits meet for repentance. Matt.3.

MEET, v.t. pret. and pp. met. [Gr. with.]

1. To come together, approaching in opposite or different directions; to come face to face; as, to meet a man in the road.

His daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances. Judges 11.

2. To come together in any place; as, we met many strangers at the levee.

3. To come together in hostility; to encounter. The armies met on the plains of Pharsalia.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

it is not likely that this thought came from God.  Satan is a deceiver and he will try to imitate how God operates to fool us and mislead us.  The mere fact you are so upset is a pretty clear indication that this did not come from God.  As someone else pointed out, if this kid is into Harry Potter then he prOBably isn't even Christian so definitely not someone God would want you involved with.  However, your concern brings up an important topic.  How do we know who God wants us to marry?  I can't tell you how many couples I have met in my lifetime who seemed very mismatched and, OBviously, unhappy in their marriages.  One spouse is sold out to God and wanting to be in ministry and the other doesn't want to be committed to attending church more than Sunday mornings.  Once you are married, though, you have to make it work because it is "till death do you part."  So it is important that you sit down and decide what kind of man God wants you to marry before you ever get involved with someone, and you measure that man against those biblical standards before ever agreeing to go on a first date.  OBviously he would have to be a Christian, but even as Christians we can be "unequally yoked."   I know a good Christian man who got involved with a woman who was a "Christian" and after years of marriage she drifted away from God and eventually left him.  Even though she was a Christian, she was not on the same spiritual maturity level that he was, nor did she have the same spiritual interests. Their entire marriage they were mismatched and the gulf just continued to grow.  Not everyone who claims to be Christian actually is.  I determined as a young teen that it wasn't enough to just date Christian men.  I looked around my church and saw a vast difference between the Christian families.  Some were dedicated and never missed any church event, others came only on Sunday morning.  My family was there every time the church doors were open, so I determined that whatever man I considered dating had to have displayed the same kind of dedication.  I felt a call to ministry on my life, so I knew that any man I dated would have to also feel a call to ministry on his life and that our calls had to be compatible.  At Bible college it was easy to get to know people in casual settings really well so it was easy for me to OBserve guys and how they lived and know whether or not I would ever even consider going on a first date with them.  Outside a campus setting, it is more difficult.  But going to group events and talking to people who know a guy really well before considering dating is the way to go.  First, though, you need to sit down and make up your list of qualifications, and keep them biblical, not personal preferences.  I have to tell you that my husband does not meet most of the personal qualifications I was looking for (such as being romantic) but he does meet the biblical qualification that the Lord gave me and my hubby has turned out to be a perfect fit for me.  At times we can get in our own way and mess ourselves up.  So, keep your qualifications biblical to help you filter out those to not even bother with and leave the rest up to God.

Archived