• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Obama not citizen?

• Members

My two oldest children were born in Okinawa, Japan on a military installation. They were issued their birth certificate from there, they were given passports and are "naturalized" citizens and are not allowed under the current interpretation of the Constitution to serve as President or VP of the USA. All other elected posts they may hold.

If both their parents were citizens when they were born, they they are natural born citizens and can run for president. The idea of disallowing the children of military personnel full citizenship is appalling and only Obama supporters would be low enough to demand it.

• Members

If both their parents were citizens when they were born, they they are natural born citizens and can run for president. The idea of disallowing the children of military personnel full citizenship is appalling and only Obama supporters would be low enough to demand it.

Well, that is the law and the constitution. They must be born on US soil, not military installations in foreign countries.

• Members

They don't have to be born on US soil. If your parents are citizens, then you are a citizen. Here is some info from a Gov't website. It looks like the only questionable thing about Obama is that his dad was not a citizen.

So you want to be president? Forget the nerves of steel, the charisma, the skeleton-free closet, the fund-raising network, the thick skin and the legions of loyal folks who agree with your stance on all the issues. Just to get into the game, you have to ask: How old are you and where were you born?

* Only native-born U.S. citizens (or those born abroad, but only to parents who were both citizens of the U.S.) may be president of the United States, though from time to time that requirement is called into question, most recently after Arnold Schwarzenegger, born in Austria, was elected governor of California, in 2003. The Constitution originally provided a small loophole to this provision: One needn't have been born in the United States but had to be a citizen at the time the Constitution was adopted. But, since that occurred in 1789, that ship has sailed.

* One must also be at least 35 years of age to be president. John F. Kennedy was the youngest person to be elected president; he was 43 years old when he was inaugurated in 1961. There is no maximum age limit set forth in the Constitution. Ronald Reagan was the oldest president; at the end of his term in 1988, he was nearly 77.

* Finally, one must live in the United States for at least 14 years to be president, in addition to being a natural-born citizen. The Constitution is vague on this point. For example, it does not make clear whether those 14 years need to be consecutive or what the precise definition of residency is. So far, however, this requirement has not been challenged.

These are the only explicit criteria in the Constitution.

• Members
They don't have to be born on US soil. If your parents are citizens, then you are a citizen. Here is some info from a Gov't website. It looks like the only questionable thing about Obama is that his dad was not a citizen.

Well praise be, all these years living in despair that my children could not be President of the USA and now I find they can........wonderful news. I'm going to call them right now to tell them so they can prepare! (right, like any offspring of mine would be that deceptive and double-tongued)

• Members

Actually, the Constitution does not even state that a person must have two parents who are citizens. It just says a natural-born citizen. Since he was born in Hawaii, he is a natural-born citizen. I know, I know, there is some speculation about whether or not that is even true but I don't think anyone would get very far with it.

You can be born in a military zone a qualify to be president if your parents of course are citizens it only takes one not 2. That is why some right wingers want an ammendment to the constituion to read differently about this. The constitution is the source and in my opinion based on a literal interpretation of the constitution Obama qualifies no matter where he was born.

• Members

The constitution is not the only source when it comes to the difference between "natural born" and "naturalization" and that is what is being disputed.
http://doctorbulldog.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/obama-to-surrender-long-version-birth-certificate-and-citizenship-paperwork/
There are various Naturalization Acts that have been passed, and that is what lawyers are trying to press in court. His Hawaiian COLB was reported to be a forgery by the Israeli Insider on July 20.http://web.israelinsider.com/Articles/Politics/12993.htm
BTW there were three suits filed against McCain concerning eligibility, two have been dismissed and one is still pending.
C

Sorry but it is like our argument that the KJV is the only literal interp. The Constitution is where I go. KJV is were I go on biblical issues. You can take a ruling here and there and make it mean whatever you want but Obama is still a "natural born citizen" according to the constitution and that is what matters to me.

• Administrators
My thing is does Obama hold a citizenship in another country like Kenya or Indonesia then is he aloud to be Pres.

He can't hold dual citizenship now. That used to be allowed, but now people have to declare. I'm sure that if he had declared for Kenya or Indonesia, the Clinton campaign would have unearthed it!

He was born in Hawaii, so he is a native born American. His mother was American, so that further gives him American citizenship (if he had been born elsewhere, since his mom was American, he would automatically be considered so). They might consider him a citizen of Kenya over there, since that is where his father was born, but that doesn't make him a dual citizen.