• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why I Have Decided To Change My Music Standards.

• Members

http://tbbc.org.au/media/videos/

Watch the series on the Rythym of rock, The Video on the History of Rythym is very mind blowing, 

The Video on Rhythm through Time will blow your mind!!

Also under the series "Music and your church" I would suggest watching the video "Southern Gospel, Rock n ROll, and the Charismatic Connection"

I have changed my stance on music even further, And I am now rejecting Bluegrass Gospel and Southern Gospel because of this information in these videos, and after doing some look into the history of these 2 genres.

I love Southern Gospel and Bluegrass style Gospel, So I hope this says something to you and I hope your willing to take a look into these videos.

The first 4 videos of the Rythym of Rock series are hard to get through, but the education they provide is of great value.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

David Cloud put out an excellent DVD series on music, as well. Congrats on being willing to look seriously on the issue-I had to do the same thing many years ago, but I have known many who poo-poo the whole idea and continue on in the worst out there.

• Members

I was a professional musician for twenty years and had allowed music to be the entirety of my identity. I was also a drug addict and alcoholic. Without going into a long story about it, I came to the realization that I had a sort of addiction to music as well; it had become too important to me. I have since completely eliminated all types of music from my life. The one exception is when I make witnessing videos with the footage of how I refinish antiques. I include tame, instrumental music to prevent the viewer from becoming bored with footage.

I had to do this for a while, as well.
The Lord led me to abstain from music, other than what I sang myself, in church, or out of the hymnals I carried in my car.

I'd say, 10 years or so, I listened to nothing.

Funny, how it all became clear...

Pro 18:1
1 Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh
and intermeddleth with all wisdom.

Anishinaabe

• Moderators

I come from a very musical family-my parents were classically trained, very operatic in style, ad were always the leaders of the music programs in church. We ALL sing, a few play instruments. My sister was offerred an apprenticeship under some piano master in Europe, but she turned it down, but continued to play.

At some point in all the singing I did in church, I began to notice in myself a pride and udgmentalism toward other singers. I never sai anything aloud, but inwardly I would critique everything they did, from tone to emotion, even vibrato. And the Lord made clear what I was doing, so I stopped singing in church altogether, at least in choirs or specials, and spent a lot of years in a self-imposed moratorium, and prayed that the Lord might just let me appreciate the spirit behind the singing, to remember it wasn't for me, but for Him, and to glory in Him as I listened.

As I consider where I am now, in a church full of people who can't carry a tune in a bucket, I would have been quite useless to Him had I insisted on always high standards in such things. Today I lead the music, but only because, well, as I said above, no one else can, nor wants to, and I Do believe a music leader ought to at least be able to, well, lead music. But we also very much downplay music in the assembly, because I ust don't see it playing a large part in the early church, and I believe it has taken way too bog of a slice of the meeting in many churches, regardless of the type of music.

• Moderators

the more music that is sung, the shorter the sermons are. 

Though that is usually the case, not always. I know a couple of churches where the sermon length doesn't change due to the time spent singing, I know another church where there is an understanding as follows: the longer the music, the longer the message.

There is also no better sounding choir than a congregation all singing from the heart and with full volume.

• Moderators

For those of you who decided to go through periods of abstaining from music can you give me more information on that.

Why did you do it?

How did you end up doing it?

What have you learned? etc.

Feel free to read my post above-I believe I answered all your questions.

One thing I didn't speak on was my departure from CCM-I was a fan of much of the popular CCM in the mid-late 80's: GLAD, Sandy Patti, First Call, Petra, Stryper, and such. I eventually eft off of it as I noticed that the usic really seemed no different than anything else on the radio, the messages tended to be very weak, and I saw, from time to time, these CCM artists playing the same music as the secular artists, (Ex: "God Gave Rock n Roll To You:, by Petra and KISS). It didn't take a musical genius to see the clear similarities in sounds, beat, dress of the artists, and a slow move by some artists into secular music (Amy Grant). Same sound, same look, same culture, awards, big money, it just wasn't any different. But the Bible tells us to be a holy and separated and sanctified people. So I left it behind.

Of course, now we are really seeing more of the fruit-more and more CCM artists 'coming out of the closet', one who recently tried to have his wife murdered, adultery is rampant, their albums are utiizing occultic symbology. POD, (Paid On Delivery) did music for the movei "Little Nicky", an Adam Sander movie about the son of Satan living on earth. It has wicked fruit, and is unabashedly turning more and more secular in nature.

• Members

I'm thankful my pastor is firm on CCM or any variation whatsoever is not allowed. I used to go to a church with the light and sound shows, rock n roll praise, etc. it all became so shallow I finally left. Nothing like the original church leader when church began 10 years earlier.

• Members

I know im going to be hated and beaten for this comment but...

I still have yet to be shown Biblical evidence that a beat can control someone... any issues I have ever read about could be said about poor theology in lyrics (or lack thereof) and a sinful nature/desire... people are quoting jimi hendrix or frank zappa to get their theology? like really?

Archived