• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Need A Break

TheSword

• Members

Balance.

Jud 1:3-4
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

We are commanded to debate Scriptures, to keep flushing out heretics and wolves.

Tit 3:10
10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

1Co 14:29-31
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

Iron sharpens iron.

Resistance, by peers, sharpens men.

Anishinaabe

Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 2 Corinthians 12:20 For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Romans 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 2 Corinthians 12:20 For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:

Does this mean debating Scripture is a sin?

How does one Earnestly Contend, without contention?

Anishinaabe

• Members

Contending for the faith (Jude 1:3) doesn't require or expect one to be contentious. Contending for the faith is a matter of standing firm in the faith. Contention and strife is not the way, but rather speaking the truth in love.

According to Scripture, if we believe a brother to be wrong in some thing we are to kindly and patiently speak the truth in love to them, with the hope and aim to restore and edify them; not to beat up on them, nor to demean them or cast disparaging words at them.

• Members

Contending for the faith (Jude 1:3) doesn't require or expect one to be contentious. Contending for the faith is a matter of standing firm in the faith. Contention and strife is not the way, but rather speaking the truth in love.

According to Scripture, if we believe a brother to be wrong in some thing we are to kindly and patiently speak the truth in love to them, with the hope and aim to restore and edify them; not to beat up on them, nor to demean them or cast disparaging words at them.

No one is ever told to rebuke a fellow Christian?

How does one earnestly contend, with the intent purpose of exposing Satanic Plants in the Church?

Jud 1:3-4
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

How is one to rebuke with doctrine?

2Ti 4:2
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

These are Scriptural admonitions.
They are the other ballast.
We must have both.

Anishinaabe

• Members

We are talking about posts between brothers/sisters in Christ here, not dealing with a Satanic plant in our church.

The point of Jude, is that among us are Satanic plants, "crept in unawares". So, of course, by definition, we don't know that they arent sheep. We don't know who they are, but they are here.
So we Earnestly Contend, and that flushes out error and exposes goats.

Anishinaabe

• Members

You are avoiding the issue of sinful speech towards brothers/sisters in Christ. That has nothing to do with contending for the faith.

I'm offering a reminder, for those who erroneously think that contending over the Scriptures, for the faith, is somehow evil.

Whenever anyone declares an armistice, the evil doer just won.

There is no place for sinful speech.
Sexual innuendo, racial slurs, epithets, slanders, etc.

Pointing out perceived error is none of these things.

Anishinaabe

• Members

I have not left.  I am just buried alive in homework with the load I took this term.  I will say though, in response to this thread, there are a couple of OB members I avoid anytime I see them in a thread.  One in particular never seems to fail getting my blood boiling.  4 more weeks of this brutal class schedule I put myself through and then I can start having a life outside of school.

Bro. Garry

• Moderators

This. Yes.

No one is ever told to rebuke a fellow Christian?

That's not what he said. He is making a difference between contentious (a wrong attitude) and contending, and he is exactly right. Comparing Scripture with Scripture, we have to both earnestly contend and speak the truth in love - God gives us both commands and does not seem to think that they are mutually exclusive. So they must not be.  One can do a necessary rebuke out of a contentious (prideful, angry) spirit and actually be in the wrong themselves for coming at the issue in such a manner, or someone can do that rebuke as instructed - 'them that are spiritual, restore such a one' 'in the spirit of meekness'. Being spiritual does not mean that they think they are so much more spiritually advanced than the other - that would be pride. It is coming with the acknowledged help of the Holy Spirit Who is the one that produces meekness in us in order to seek to restore the other without our own pride or anger getting in the way. We can contend for the faith with the same spirit. There are very few times when a 'cleansing the temple' approach is actually required, I think. More often it is our own pride or stubborn spirit insist on such a bombastic approach rather than the Holy Spirit.

• Members

Thank you Candlelight.  Hotpockets and Pizza delivery are not very exciting for dinner, but I haven't had the time to prepare a proper meal in a couple of weeks. I'm actually caught up on homework today, the weather is nice and my barbecue has not been pulled out of winter storage yet.  Maybe time to fire it up today.

• Members

Thank you Candlelight.  Hotpockets and Pizza delivery are not very exciting for dinner, but I haven't had the time to prepare a proper meal in a couple of weeks. I'm actually caught up on homework today, the weather is nice and my barbecue has not been pulled out of winter storage yet.  Maybe time to fire it up today.

I know what you mean, Brother Garry.  As soon as things calm down with your schooling, you will be back to being the chef that you are.  Good for you!  Sounds like a plan to me.

• Members

This. Yes.

That's not what he said. He is making a difference between contentious (a wrong attitude) and contending, and he is exactly right. Comparing Scripture with Scripture, we have to both earnestly contend and speak the truth in love - God gives us both commands and does not seem to think that they are mutually exclusive. So they must not be.  One can do a necessary rebuke out of a contentious (prideful, angry) spirit and actually be in the wrong themselves for coming at the issue in such a manner, or someone can do that rebuke as instructed - 'them that are spiritual, restore such a one' 'in the spirit of meekness'. Being spiritual does not mean that they think they are so much more spiritually advanced than the other - that would be pride. It is coming with the acknowledged help of the Holy Spirit Who is the one that produces meekness in us in order to seek to restore the other without our own pride or anger getting in the way. We can contend for the faith with the same spirit. There are very few times when a 'cleansing the temple' approach is actually required, I think. More often it is our own pride or stubborn spirit insist on such a bombastic approach rather than the Holy Spirit.

No contention here, "TheSword" believes that every word in the KJV to be an potential error because of how "definitions change over the years". He'll let us know when he gets his lexicon out.

The prOBlem in this forum, as in all of America, people think being nice is being spiritual and nOBody wants to call it like it is. 

Anyone who waves his bible around proclaiming it to be the word of God without error then corrects it at every chance he/she can is a lying hypocrite.

How's that be being kind?

Archived