• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Need A Break

TheSword

• Members

"Only by pride cometh contention..." Proverbs 13:10

"He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife..." Proverbs 28:25

"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." Proverbs 15:1

"This I say then, walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh." Galatians 5:16

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

"It is an honour for a man to cease from strife..." Proverbs 20:3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Offendedness is just about the last shared moral currency in our country. And, I'm sorry, but it's really annoying. We don't discuss ideas or debate arguments, we try to figure out who is most offended." -Kevin DeYoung

• Members

Those quotes are not in accord with Scripture.

Scripture says we are to esteem one another better than ourselves; to live peaceably with all, to be kind, to show love to one another, to control our tongue, to edify.

We should speak to one another with respect and honour. If we are abiding in the Spirit we will do this.

• Members

"Offendedness is just about the last shared moral currency in our country. And, I'm sorry, but it's really annoying. We don't discuss ideas or debate arguments, we try to figure out who is most offended." -Kevin DeYoung

Sounds like he was offended.

"If you're offended, it's your prOBlem." -Salman Rushdie

Sarcasm is a prOBlem, sometimes.

Sometimes wisdom quotes are not.  :popcorn:

God bless,

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Sounds like he was offended.

"If you're offended, it's your prOBlem." -Salman Rushdie

Sarcasm is a prOBlem, sometimes.

Sometimes wisdom quotes are not. :popcorn:   

God bless,

God bless,

Larry

:thumb:  Larry.

• Members

It's not about people being offended, it's about taming our tongue in accord with Scripture.

Sins of speech are just as much sins as are those which take up more of our attention here.

"For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body." James 3:2

"Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom." James 3:13

"For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." James 3:16-17

• Members

It's not about people being offended, it's about taming our tongue in accord with Scripture.

Sins of speech are just as much sins as are those which take up more of our attention here.

"For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body." James 3:2

"Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom." James 3:13

"For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." James 3:16-17

I agree completely, John.  However, wisdom quotes are nice.  I apply many to scriptures.  

OB is going through a growing process.  Things will settle down in time, brother.  :)

• Members

"Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

• Members

"Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips." Psalm 141:3

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." Ephesians 4:29

Thank you, John.   :thumb: 

I have noticed that the flesh has been working overtime on OB.  And, it certainly is catchy.    

• Members

Balance.

Jud 1:3-4
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

We are commanded to debate Scriptures, to keep flushing out heretics and wolves.

Tit 3:10
10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

1Co 14:29-31
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

Iron sharpens iron.

Resistance, by peers, sharpens men.

Anishinaabe

• Members

Scripture also tells us what our attitude, speech and actions should be like and they are not to be childish, petty, harsh, biting, attacking sarcasm, personal jabs, demeaning, belittling and such like.

We are dealing with brothers/sisters in Christ here and our words should reflect love, kindness and helpfulness.

The worldly words and attitudes put forth in some of the threads here serves only the Enemy, not the cause of Christ.

• Members

Iron only sharpens iron if they are properly stuck against each other - if you hit a blade on the edge with a hammer you do not sharpen it.

• Members

Scripture also tells us what our attitude, speech and actions should be like and they are not to be childish, petty, harsh, biting, attacking sarcasm, personal jabs, demeaning, belittling and such like.

We are dealing with brothers/sisters in Christ here and our words should reflect love, kindness and helpfulness.

The worldly words and attitudes put forth in some of the threads here serves only the Enemy, not the cause of Christ.

Amen brother John

Archived