• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Making Disciples

TheSword

• Members

Looking to do a survey/study of how you and/or your church approaches making disciples and whether or not you feel your method(s) are effective. A few questions I would like to glean from anyone willing to respond...

(there are many possible and correct answers/responses to these so please respond with grace)

How do you define a disciple of Jesus Christ?

What is your method of making a disciple?

What do you focus on?

How do you involve others in discipleship?

Do have a program? If so, is it official or unofficial? What's the format?

How do you gauge the effectiveness of your approach?

• Members

Looking to do a survey/study of how you and/or your church approaches making disciples and whether or not you feel your method(s) are effective. A few questions I would like to glean from anyone willing to respond...

(there are many possible and correct answers/responses to these so please respond with grace)

What do you focus on?

Are we using the NIV, now?

The Bible doesn't say "make disciples".

Mat 28:19-20
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I have commanded you:and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mar 16:15-18
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Act 1:8
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

The NIV says "make disciples" in Matthew 28:19

We don't "make" anything, except a presentation, God does the making.

Anishinaabe

• Members

To the OP...

One on One, as a family member...spending time studying, working, doing good, training.
Making sure that any needs they have are met.
Helping them to get involved meeting the needs of others.

This is our approach.

New converts actually have a discipleship class, where they complete a 6 week course, and receive their cert. in the assembly.

Anishinaabe

• Members

Are we using the NIV, now?

The Bible doesn't say "make disciples".

Mat 28:19-20
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I have commanded you:and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mar 16:15-18
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Act 1:8
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

The NIV says "make disciples" in Matthew 28:19

We don't "make" anything, except a presentation, God does the making.

Anishinaabe

I didn't quote Matt 28:19. This post was completely unnecessary because judging by your 2nd response you clearly understood what I was asking. If you want to quibble over terms, please take it to another thread. I would rather you have just skipped to the second response because I would like a serious ministry discussion here and not a debate.

• Members

I didn't quote Matt 28:19. This post was completely unnecessary because judging by your 2nd response you clearly understood what I was asking. If you want to quibble over terms, please take it to another thread. I would rather you have just skipped to the second response because I would like a serious ministry discussion here and not a debate.

I was answering your question.

The new convert is God's Disciple, not mine.

It is an approach.

We don't "make" disciples, we preach and teach, and it is between God and the individual what they do with the instruction.

I led by example, here.
One approach is to point out error.

Anishinaabe

• Members

I was answering your question.

The new convert is God's Disciple, not mine.

It is an approach.

We don't "make" disciples, we preach and teach, and it is between God and the individual what they do with the instruction.

I led by example, here.
One approach is to point out error.

Anishinaabe

That wasn't leadership, that was antagonism. I would invite you read Leadership 101 by John C. Maxwell, particularly Chapter 8 on "How Does Influence Work" as I think it would help you understand how counterproductive posts like that (and your last one) are if you're trying to "lead by example." If you think something is in error, there is a polite and respectful way to address it.  When you do it this way, no one listens to you because you force them into defense mode.

I respectfully ask that you not respond to my threads or posts. I no longer respect or desire your opinion on anything as this marks the third straight interaction in three separate threads that you've been incredibly rude and disrespectful to me without any provocation.

• Members

(there are many possible and correct answers/responses to these so please respond with grace)

What do you focus on?

Hold on. Let me get my Greek Lexicon out to let you know.

• Members

Hold on. Let me get my Greek Lexicon out to let you know.

Wow...really? Your immaturity is amazing. It's really sad to someone who purports to don the name of Christ to be so ugly unloving so much of the time. If this is how you really spend your life interacting with people, I truly feel sorry for you. I can't imagine what on earth makes you so bitter all the time but I earnestly hope God heals it for you.

Archived