• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why I Left The Pre-Trib Position

Ukulelemike

• Members

By no means. I am speaking to doctrine on a BAPTIST forum, not to any issues of character. I don´t know Mike. His morality or integrity are not in question by me.

I signed on here because this site purported to be a BAPTIST web site for IFB like minded folks could have fellowship. I never thought I would have to wade through the nonsense of 7th Day Adventists heresies, anti mission minded tight fisted misers who won´t pay a pastor, KJB "preferred" instead of only¨¨, and now a Moderator no less comes out in opposition to a long held sound doctrine of the IFB position, Pre Trib, which can be found in the articles of faith all over the IFB world,

so yes I feel a little bit disappointing in this site. It´s not what it was when I signed on.

God bless,
calvary

pastors that are so bold as to lie to their congregations about what God requires of them deserve no earthly rewards for their lies.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

By no means. I am speaking to doctrine on a BAPTIST forum, not to any issues of character. I don´t know Mike. His morality or integrity are not in question by me.

I signed on here because this site purported to be a BAPTIST web site for IFB like minded folks could have fellowship. I never thought I would have to wade through the nonsense of 7th Day Adventists heresies, anti mission minded tight fisted misers who won´t pay a pastor, KJB "preferred" instead of only¨¨, and now a Moderator no less comes out in opposition to a long held sound doctrine of the IFB position, Pre Trib, which can be found in the articles of faith all over the IFB world,

so yes I feel a little bit disappointing in this site. It´s not what it was when I signed on.

God bless,

calvary

For years people sometimes just accept what is taught to them without studying the facts, then , for some reason, eyes open up.

Just because it was a 'traditionally held teaching', does not make it biblical.

The letters should really be IFBBB, meaning Independent Fundamental Bible Believing Baptists, who, by the way, will correct their own views to conform to the scriptures, even when they have 'believed' them different before.

• Members

Just because it was a 'traditionally held teaching', does not make it biblical.
The letters should really be IFBBB, meaning Independent Fundamental Bible Believing Baptists, who, by the way, will correct their own views to conform to the scriptures, even when they have 'believed' them different before.

This implies that the traditionally held positions are not Biblical.

Let me remind you that there is nothing new under the sun, and that God's Word never changes.
If those men of the past were following the Bible, there is every chance that those traditional positions are indeed biblical, and it is therefore correct for us to continue in the things which we were taught.

Just because someone 'discovers' some new doctrine (which will not be new) doesn't make them automatically correct either.

• Members

I wanted to start this post so as not to hijack another, and because some seem genuinely confused as to why an IFB pastor, particularly, would hold to what to them, (and to me once, as well) comes close to perhaps heresy or a departure of the faith.

Let me first say that despite how strongly we hold to such a doctrine, one way or the other, it is not what we might consider a fundamental, or it shouldn't be IMHO, and so, I have never seen it as a separation issue, though I know of some who do. I won't judge them-its between them and the Lord.

I was not raised IFB-it is something I turned to in my 20's. However, saved in a C&MA church and raised in various churches in my youth, one things they all agreed on was a pre-tribulation rapture position. So, since my youth this is what I believed.

Shorlty after I was married to my wife, back in about 2005-ish, my wife began to seriously question me concerning  the various positions on the timing of the catching away/rapture, whatever you want to call it. I explained to her all that I had ever been taught on the subject: The entire tribulation is the outpouring of God's wrath., so we won't go through it; it is for the Jews, the time of JacOB's trouble, so the church won't be there; Rev 4:1 seems to suggest the rapture as John sees a door open in heaven, (isn't Jesus called 'the door'?) and a voice that says "Come up hither", ( voice of the archangel?), so this must depict the rapture JUST before the tribulation is seen to begin; 1Thes 4  says, concerning the rapture, "Comfort one another with this', how can we find comfort in knowing we will go through great tribulation? And so on.

So, she began to lay out a pretty extensive argument both against the PreTR and for the PostT/PreWR Trib.  To go into it all, I haven't time. But I told her that, to make her happy, and because I want to please God before man, OR her, I would take what we have both said, and prayerfully study it out for myself. I took about a year looking it over in scripture and praying over it before I was finally willing to say that I had to agree with her. I knew I was taking a stand considerably different than 99% of other IFB's and might lost friends and associates over it, but I believed, as I do now, that pleasing God was more important. 

Some of what I found was, yes, Israel is the focus of the tribulation time. However, nowhere do we see that this must mean the church is not in existence. Jew have continued to live and thrive during the 'church age', and even with Israel being re-established as a nation, here we still are. The focus on them doesn't necessarily mean we can't be here any more-it is assumption, no more.

I have yet to hear anyone give a good explanation of what occurs in Rev 14:14. No, it isn't Jesus sitting on the church-we see Jesus in the clouds with a sickle, reaping His harvest. This takes place shortly after the seventh trumpet sounds, the last trumpet mentioned in scripture. We also see an angel shout to Him that the time has come.  Last trumpet, Jesus in the clouds, voice of an angel from the temple, (an archangel?). sounds like about all that is needed to match what occurs in 1Thes 4 return of Christ. NO, we don't see those who sleep in Christ coming with Him, but that doesn't mean they aren't there-it is the ONLY specific example we are given of Jesus reaping His harvest, and it is followed immediately by the outpouring of God's wrath. Apparently the entire tribulation is NOT God's wrath, because we see a specific time the wrath falls.  

I will continue when I have time. There's more! Please read, comment if you like, but again, this is not comprehensive, so no fights just yet.

Brother Mike will you provide some info on your study if possible, from what I've read you've spent a lot of time on your study and we should all be graceful to hear you out, though I may disagree or agree there should be no need to argue because you are still my brother in the Lord and I hold firmly to loving my brothers and sisters, thank you brother 

God bless 

• Members

This implies that the traditionally held positions are not Biblical.

Let me remind you that there is nothing new under the sun, and that God's Word never changes.
If those men of the past were following the Bible, there is every chance that those traditional positions are indeed biblical, and it is therefore correct for us to continue in the things which we were taught.

Just because someone 'discovers' some new doctrine (which will not be new) doesn't make them automatically correct either.

Not at all. For you to say "...the traditionally held positions..." , makes it sound like 'all'. There are some, but that is off topic.

• Members

I think much confusion comes from not factoring in the "two rapture" conjecture.

In Revelation 7 we have the 144,000 Hebrew servants of God followed by a "great multitude

which no man could number" in heaven.  John had to ask who these people were.

(We know that the two witnesses are brought up into heaven just as Jesus was.)

The N.T. simply does not give us "all the details", in clear terms, on the Tribulation.

There is no reason why the Lord would not remove the Body of Christ BEFORE

the Tribulation, to make way for Israel to fulfill its role (and fulfill prophecy concerning it),

and then remove the great harvest of souls from the Tribulation, before pouring out

his WRATH on an unbelieving world.

• Members

I think much confusion comes from not factoring in the "two rapture" conjecture.
In Revelation 7 we have the 144,000 Hebrew servants of God followed by a "great multitude
which no man could number" in heaven. John had to ask who these people were.

The N.T. simply does not give us "all the details", in clear terms, on the Tribulation.
the Tribulation, to make way for Israel to fulfill its role (and fulfill prophecy concerning it),
and then remove the great harvest of souls from the Tribulation, before pouring out

Tribulation is for Saints. Wrath is for Unbelievers.

The best reason we have is Matthew 24.
All doctrine concerning The Second Coming should originate with Matthew 24.

Matthew 24 is a private conversation with Jesus' church, after telling the Jews, at the end of Matthew 23, that they wouldn't see Him again, until His Second Coming.

They ask Him, point blank, about the future, and He gives very direct answers.

He never mentions, to them, any pretrib blah, blah, blah.

Now, you can say He was talking to the Jews, but the end of Matthew 23 says you are wrong.

You can say they weren't His Church, but no one would say that 11 of those 12 were His church, 43 days later, so let's quit playing dispy games.

In light of that, Daniel, Revelation, Corinthians, and Thes. all line up quite nicely with Matthew 24.

You can say what isn't mentioned on I Thes. 4, but it's just that, not a detailed account, but rather a comforting reminder.

OBviously, IIThes. 2 was written to provide context, since IThes. freaked them out. It lines up with Matthew 24, as well.

Bottom line...Jesus put the jelly on the bottom shelf in Matthew 24, and it is our plumb line.

Anishinaabe

• Members

which no man could number" in heaven. John had to ask who these people were.

The N.T. simply does not give us "all the details", in clear terms, on the Tribulation.

Tribulation is for Saints. Wrath is for Unbelievers.

The best reason we have is Matthew 24.
All doctrine concerning The Second Coming should originate with Matthew 24.

Matthew 24 is a private conversation with Jesus' church, after telling the Jews, at the end of Matthew 23, that they wouldn't see Him again, until His Second Coming.

They ask Him, point blank, about the future, and He gives very direct answers.

He never mentions, to them, any pretrib blah, blah, blah.

Now, you can say He was talking to the Jews, but the end of Matthew 23 says you are wrong.

You can say they weren't His Church, but no one would say that 11 of those 12 were His church, 43 days later, so let's quit playing dispy games.

In light of that, Daniel, Revelation, Corinthians, and Thes. all line up quite nicely with Matthew 24.

You can say what isn't mentioned on I Thes. 4, but it's just that, not a detailed account, but rather a comforting reminder.

OBviously, IIThes. 2 was written to provide context, since IThes. freaked them out. It lines up with Matthew 24, as well.

Bottom line...Jesus put the jelly on the bottom shelf in Matthew 24, and it is our plumb line.

Anishinaabe

• Members

Matthew 24 and 25 has nothing at all to do with the church.  The context of the Olivet Discourse is the Tribulation, Second Coming, Judgment of the nations (the separating of the sheep nations and goat nations) which will determine who will enter the Millennial Kingdom.

• Members
Matthew 24 and 25 has nothing at all to do with the church. The context of the Olivet Discourse is the Tribulation, Second Coming, Judgment of the nations (the separating of the sheep nations and goat nations) which will determine who will enter the Millennial Kingdom.
Show me where the Scripture says this. Who was Jesus talking to? Anishinaabe

• Members
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

Perhaps this wholesale application of the Gospel of Matthew to the Church is the impetus behind these "Hebrew Roots" movements.
It is actually a "remnant" of 4th Century Catholic "Replacement Theology" to take the Gospels and apply them directly to the Body of Christ
(composed of Jew & Gentile in this dispensation).  Catholics have always "elevated" the Gospels above the rest of scripture. 

Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy. Dan 9:24  [shabuwa` - literally "sevens" - like we use the word decade or dozen]
And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the OBlation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate. Dan 9:27

When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) Matt 24:15
But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains: Mark 13:14

• Members

Show me where the Scripture says this. Who was Jesus talking to? Anishinaabe

First of all, the "church" is never mentioned in either Matthew 24 or 25.

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
Matthew 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
Matthew 24:17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
Matthew 24:18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
Matthew 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
Matthew 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

1. When, if ever does the Church see the "abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place"? That holy place is the third (tribulation) temple located in Jerusalem. (verse 15)

2. Is the Church located in Israel? (verse 16)

3. To where would the Church be fleeing? And why should the Church be concerned if it was the on the "sabbath day"? (verse 20)

4. The Church goes through "tribulation" during this dispensation of grace, which is not God's wrath.  But during the 7 year tribulation period, Israel and the Christ rejecting world will go through a time of "tribulation" of God's wrath and judgment that this present world has not seen yet, but it will be worse than Hitler's Holocaust and both World Wars put together. (verse 21-22)

The fact that the word "Church" never appears in the Olivet Discourse should be enough evidence that there is NO CHURCH present and that the context of which Jesus speaks is the "time of JacOB's Trouble"....which is ISRAEL!

• Members
First of all, the "church" is never mentioned in either Matthew 24 or 25. Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) Matthew 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: Matthew 24:17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: Matthew 24:18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. Matthew 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! Matthew 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 1. When, if ever does the Church see the "abomination of desolation spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place"? That holy place is the third (tribulation) temple located in Jerusalem. (verse 15) 2. Is the Church located in Israel? (verse 16) 3. To where would the Church be fleeing? And why should the Church be concerned if it was the on the "sabbath day"? (verse 20) 4. The Church goes through "tribulation" during this dispensation of grace, which is not God's wrath. But during the 7 year tribulation period, Israel and the Christ rejecting world will go through a time of "tribulation" of God's wrath and judgment that this present world has not seen yet, but it will be worse than Hitler's Holocaust and both World Wars put together. (verse 21-22) The fact that the word "Church" never appears in the Olivet Discourse should be enough evidence that there is NO CHURCH present and that the context of which Jesus speaks is the "time of JacOB's Trouble"....which is ISRAEL!
IThes. 4 doesn't have the word "church" in it, either. Every single chapter in the Scripture that doesn't say "the church" in it, is to Israel...by your definition. So these men were never in "the church"? Mat 24:3-4 3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? 4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. Funny, Jesus said this to these same men, before the "Olivet discourse": Mat 16:18-19 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven:and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven:and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Mat 18:1 Chapter 18 1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? Mat 18:17 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church:but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. So these Disciples weren't part of the church. Hmmmm. News to them. News to Jesus. He musta had a bad week? Got a little confused? O, wait, he wasn't a dispy...men made that up later. Anishinaabe

• Members

The Five Phases of the First Resurrection

(1) Jesus took the Old Testament saints to Heaven at His ascension. Ephesians 4:8 KJV

(2) The Holy Spirit and the church age saints are caught up to heaven before the antichrist Is given power by God. 2Thessalonians 2:3-12 KJV,

(3) The mid tribulation catching up will include the two witnesses Revelation 11:3,7-14 KJV, the 144,000 sealed Jews from Revelation chapter 7 who where redeemed from the earth. Revelation 14:1-4 KJV, and the redeemed dead saints from the first half of the Tribulation. See Revelation 15:1-4 KJV

(4) The dead saints from the last half of the tribulation are redeemed from the earth after the tribulation. Revelation 20:4 KJV

(5) The dead saints from the Kingdom age will be judged at the great white throne judgment along with the second resurrection sinners. Revelation 20:11-15 KJV

Ephesians 4:8-10

8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

I believe these verses indicate that Jesus took the Old Testament saints to heaven when he went back.

Archived