• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist?

DaveW

• Members

They would have to ban me as well Dave because I am 100% behind you on those points.  I would add a couple "Baptist distinctives" to the list though since they tend to be the most divisive.  Eternal Security of the believer, and baptism is not a requirement for salvation.  I don't post nearly as much here any more but I check the site daily.  I am just so incredibly busy this term at school now that my veterans school benefits have been exhausted.  I have to replace $2300 a month I was getting that allowed me to focus entirely on school without needing full time employment. 

Bro. Garry

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I agree with the gist of what you're saying DaveW, I wouldn't say the list is traditionally accurate. There is a reason when IFBs were first forming about a century and some ago, there were basically five fundamentals that was agreed upon as being the foundation of IFBs and their view of traditional Christianity.

The virgin birth and deity of Jesus

The substitutionary death of Jesus

The resurrection of Jesus Christ

The inspiration of Scripture

The second coming of Christ

Those five matters were fully agreed upon while there were varying degrees of difference concerning other points.

That's not to say any of the points listed above are bad ones, only that they were part of the traditional IFB fundamentals. Much of what many IFB churches have in their much longer list of fundamentals today actually were added in the last half of the 20th century.

To be fair, when it comes to the matter of things such as KJO, at one point it was basically a non-issue. By default, the KJB was the Bible in use by Baptists and most other Christians in America. MVs didn't really become a major issue until later in the 20th century. As pointed out above, even then we had some who began moving toward a KJO position while others, such as the well known IFB man, John R. Rice, didn't.

In any event, I do agree that the constant name calling, disparaging those who don't agree with a position by saying they aren't wise, don't rightly study the Word and such, and those who post topic after topic for the sole purpose of promoting their pet view, is not only annoying, most of it's unchristian according to Scripture.

Having been on this site for many years now, I can say that OB has always had IFBs with differing views as well as non-IFBs posting here. For the most part, so long as civility was maintained, they have all been welcome here. Those that become seriously OBnoxious and/or push CLEARLY unbiblical stances as fact, eventually find themselves banned.

Unless Bro Matt were to make the site very restrictive, it's likely OB will continue as it has as long as I've been here. I will note that during the times when only those of us who were near 100% in agreement were posting, the posts became very few and far between. Then there is the other extreme when the place seems almost overrun by trash talkers and/or false religionists and/or odd ball theorists. The best of times land somewhere between those two extremes and they seem to last only briefly.

So anyway, DaveW, I have appreciated your contributions to this site.

• Members

The real prOBlem on a forum is the attitude folks approach it with.

If you take it too seriously or yourself too seriously on it...you really should give it up.

If you want fellowship, don't attempt it virtually because you will certainly be offended in debate with people you cannot see and know nothing about.

Remember, if you look at this site as anything more than a passtime and entertainment, you need more real fellowship in your life.

In other words, if the only folks allowed to post on here are those that agree with this davew member or any other member on every part of every topic, it would be a one man thread real quick.

Keep it in perspective and lighten up

I enjoy the debates on here but with a grain of salt (that is the key).

• Members

Thanks Brother Dave , I always thought that fellowship was when Christians shared their walk with God in an atmosphere of love and respect, when everyone communicates in love with other believers then everyone becomes strengthened. striving together to develop a unity of spirit and mind,

But those who work to hinder the fellowship of the brothers and sisters practice a sin that God hates ( Prov.6:19)

• Members

Good point EK, I will confess however that I can count on one or two fingers the number of members on OB that show love and respect to those that disagree with them. Unfortunately neither of them have posted in this thread yet so let's keep it real, shall we?

• Members

Good point EK, I will confess however that I can count on one or two fingers the number of members on OB that show love and respect to those that disagree with them. Unfortunately neither of them have posted in this thread yet so let's keep it real, shall we?

Okay...I've posted in this thread now.  That's one down, and one to go.   :coffee2:

• Moderators

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I believe what we do here, or at least, what I do here, is practice. This is a safe place for believers to practice being good believers. We face differing doctrines, so it drives us to God's words to 'prove all things'. We face various kinds of personalities, and it trains us to not just deal with them, but to contend while still loving one another. If we can't stand firmly and lovingly here, how can we do it in the 'real world' when trying to evangeize the lost, or train immature or erring brethren?

This is practice-this is sort of like church, a place to fellowship, to learn, to teach, and to love one another. If we can't do it here, where CAN we do it? If we get mad and stalk off here, we will surely fail when dealing with such things in the non-virtual world.

• Moderators

Posts #1 (DaveW), #19 (Wretched's first post), and #23 (Ukuelelemike) taken together express my feelings on a proper approach and balance for the forum.

I usually post with no feeling or emotion involved but 

just had to this time (a first and hopefully a last -- personal feelings have no place in a discussion of facts. Oops, I think I just I just posted personal feeling for a second time).

• Members

Baptists traditionally hold to a literal reading of God's Word.

This is the only thing I would not agree with in the OP.

The Baptist traditions do not totally hold to a literal reading of God's Word.

If they did, then they would not teach that God commands Gentile Believers to tithe.  (Sorry folks, but it's not in there no matter how much you want it to be)  

And no, I am not hijacking the thread.  Just answering that part of the OP.  If you want to discuss or try to belittle me for my stance on the  tithe, I'll be glad to hear you in the thread I opened last month, titled: "Per the Request of Candlelight".

Dave, such a fine name :)

I take posting breaks from time to time. When the world really gets disgusting it is nice to have an escape (OB)

even with the trolls occasionally appearing. So, don't burn any bridges...besides I like your accent :) 

• Members

Here I am!   :yeah:

Archived