• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Do You Think The "kingdom Of God" Is?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just curious. Heard someone ask in another forum. Give us your thoughts please, with any verse support.

It's the spiritual kingdom (Romans 14:17) ruled by God that is filled with believers (John 3:16). It's NOT the church though the church is part of it (Col.1:13). Some argue that it is to be differentiated from the kingdom of heaven which is God's literal, physical kingdom (Acts 1:6,7) that will be on earth one day and can only be entered into by someone who has first been born again into the kingdom of God. Personally, I believe the two different phrases ("kingdom of heaven" and "kingdom of God) are two different facets (physical and spiritual) of the same kingdom and that God used the two different phrases to emphasis which aspect of the kingdom was being stressed. Matthew seems to focus on the physical aspect of the kingdom while Luke and Paul focus on the spiritual aspect. The prOBlem with Replacement Theology is that they completely dump the physical aspect of the kingdom, especially as it relates to the nation of Israel in the future.

There's also a mystery form of the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 13) which takes place during this age and contains unsaved people within it. This would be an attempt by the devil and mankind to supplant God's kingdom by building an imitation one on earth. A prime example of this would be the RCC's attempt for the last 1,600 years to build this kingdom on earth with the Pope as the "Vicar of Christ". Secular governments have also tried to build this kingdom through never ending warfare (as Hitler called it, "The 1,000 Year Reich)- Matthew 11:12. This "kingdom" in mystery form will continue until the Second Coming (Matt. 13:30).

The overarching theme of the bible since the creation of Adam is the King, his kingdom and the bringing of many sons into it. There has been a never ending war between the powers on high and on earth to wrest this kingdom from God and to whom he would give it to and supplant it with a Satanic version. This is why many times is scripture the spiritual powers on high (whether wicked or just) are compared to kings, princes and rulers of this world (example: Daniel 10:12-21). 

• Members

The "Kingdom of God" is what the end result will be when all sin and death are no more, when God recreates the universe.

God now resides in the "Kingdom of Heaven" and the "Kingdom of Heaven" will be brought to the earth during the Millennium.

The Kingdom of Heaven could have been on earth had the Nation of Israel received their Messiah at the time he was here.

• Members

Hmmm...   :scratchchin: 

Matthew 4:17

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:15

And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Yes, like I said, two aspects of the same kingdom but you can't say every case where the kingdom is mentioned it is speaking of the one people enter through being born again. If so, you would have unsaved people in the kingdom of God. Just read Matthew 13 to see this.

Matthew 13:47-50

[47] Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
[48] Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
[49] So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
[50] And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Also, during the millennial kingdom not everyone will be saved ((Isaiah 65:20) which is an amazing thought seeing Christ will be in plain with a whole world ready to rebel against God towards the end of his reign (Rev. 20:7-10).

• Members

The "Kingdom of God" is what the end result will be when all sin and death are no more, when God recreates the universe.

God now resides in the "Kingdom of Heaven" and the "Kingdom of Heaven" will be brought to the earth during the Millennium.

The Kingdom of Heaven could have been on earth had the Nation of Israel received their Messiah at the time he was here.

Interesting thought but as mentioned, the kingdom of heaven is already on earth in mystery forum (Matt. 13).

• Members

Interesting thought but as mentioned, the kingdom of heaven is already on earth in mystery forum (Matt. 13).

It is extremely hard to "parse" Jesus' teachings in the Gospels.  Every word he spoke was given to him by the Father.

As believers, we are the Kingdom of Heaven as the Holy Spirit dwells within us - God contained in earthen vessels.

God the Father, and God the Son reside in Heaven and the Holy Spirit dwells in us.

You really have to carefully analyze the teachings in the Gospels, and even with the help of the Holy Spirit it is difficult.

What isn't specifically stated is often as important as what is said.  It kind of reminds me of a lawyer or politician...

There is a good reason why I'm a Pauline Dispensationalist.

• Members

As believers, we are the Kingdom of Heaven as the Holy Spirit dwells within us 

No, we are not the kingdom of heaven. We are the church which is just one part of the kingdom. Never make the fatal error that Augustine and the RCC did when they made the two one and the same. What you end up with is a church trying to build a kingdom to rule over the earth like the RCC.

Please refer to Matthew 13:47-50 where the kingdom of heaven has fish that are casted into hell.

• Members

No, we are not the kingdom of heaven. We are the church which is just one part of the kingdom. Never make the fatal error that Augustine and the RCC did when they made the two one and the same. What you end up with is a church trying to build a kingdom to rule over the earth like the RCC.

Please refer to Matthew 13:47-50 where the kingdom of heaven has fish that are casted into hell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mystery form" sounds like a Roman Catholic teaching.  I certainly wouldn't base my theology on a parable.  Better to stick with Paul.

There is nothing "mysterious" about Jesus being bodily present on earth.  In that respect, the Kingdom was present on earth.

We, as true believers, are "containers" of the Holy Spirit.  So in that respect, we have the Kingdom of God "within us".

Since the Holy Spirit dwells within true believers, and the Holy Spirit is God, then the "Kingdom of Heaven" dwells within us

in "hidden" form.  If any man has not the Spirit of God, he is none of His... Catholic, Calvinist, Orthodox or "otherwise".

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the Kingdom of God is within you.  Luke 17:21

• Moderators

I believe the church is a picture, albeit an incomplete one, of the kingdom of heaven. We should be, in many ways, living and dealing with one another, and the world, as though we were there now. It is what should set our behavior apart from the world.

• Members

You really have to carefully analyze the teachings in the Gospels, and even with the help of the Holy Spirit it is difficult.

What isn't specifically stated is often as important as what is said.  It kind of reminds me of a lawyer or politician...

There is a good reason why I'm a Pauline Dispensationalist.

That reminds me of the Brethren teaching which seems to interpret as,  "Scripture is silent, so you can teach what you like." 

• Members

Matthew 13-  the 7 parables of the Kingdom of heaven  (It's been a while since I did this study and cant all find my notes I hope this helps) 

The seven parables prophetically describe the course of this age and these 7 parables  illustrate that the church is the present form of the Kingdom of heaven.

First there will come a period of sowing the gospel throughout the world, ( 1-23) 

Second there will occur a counter sowing by Satan ( 24-30, 36-43)

Third there will be an outward growth of christendom, but not necessarily of the true church , it will grow from insignificant beginnings to exert worldwide influence (31, 32 )

The fourth parable of heaven ( principle of corruption) contrast true doctrine with false doctrine sown by a corrupt church in a unconverted world (33-35)

The fifth parable pictures Jesus seeking the lost in all the world (v 44 ) to gather a special people to himself .

The sixth parable of the lost pearl  represents Jesus finding the church (45-46)

The seventh parable tells how God end the age in judgment (47-51)

I have met some that believe the seven parables , like the seven churches ( Rev 2,3 ) Suggest a development of the gospel in this age but I've not studied this so it's just a thought. 

God Bless

• Members
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out,
when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things,
which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. Acts 3:19-21

This is the message of the Kingdom preached to Israel by "the twelve" following the ascension of Jesus.

The "Kingdom" that Jesus taught was what we would call the Millennium/New Heavens, New Earth.

The audience of Israelites would clearly have understood that the earth must be restored to Eden.

This Matthew 13 is not directed at the Gentile Body of Christ (ie: Church), which was revealed to, and taught by, Paul.

This "message of the Kingdom" will be preached by genetically pure Israelites during the Tribulation

(following the removal of the Body of Christ from the earth).

Archived