• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Requesting A Review

• Members

Dear Online Baptist family,

I was wondering if there would be anyone that would be willing to do a book review for me?

My book, The Day the Music Died, is available in PDF format free of charge (no kidding).

The link is: www.pioneerbaptist.org/booklet/music.pdf

I wrote this book about 3 1/2 years ago and have recently reformatted and expanded it. Some of you have already downloaded it from the Music forum. It is available to anyone who would like a copy. Bound printed copies are available for $15.00 each (with free shipping in the United States - no international orders please, sorry).

Once you have read the book I would be very interested in hearing your feedback. You may send the PDF file to anyone that you think will read it. Thank you for your interest in this material.

Sincerely,

Bro Steve Smith

brosmith@pioneerbaptist.org

Edited by brosmith

• Moderators

One of my favorite topics. I'll have a look, tho it may take some time as I have a lot on my plate lately.

Do I get my name on the dust cover? "Pastor Mike Reed says: "Wow! great book! Couldn't put it down! I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!'"

• Members

One of my favorite topics. I'll have a look, tho it may take some time as I have a lot on my plate lately.

Do I get my name on the dust cover? "Pastor Mike Reed says: "Wow! great book! Couldn't put it down! I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!'"

:lol:

He may be looking for something a little deeper than that. :lol:

• Members

I grew up in a family of gospel bluegrass musicians and begin playing the guitar when I was 8 by the time I was 15 I was playing in my first rock band and went on to play guitar as professional blues guitarist for 20 years performing with some of the biggest names in the music industry during this time I studied music learning to compose and write working as a studio musician and giving lesions part time .when I got saved I gave up the guitar, God called me to pastor the youth, I had been a youth pastor for 5 years when I was ask to start a youth ministry at a small Independent Baptist Church that had just hired a new pastor, I was very close with the new pastor in my ministry and during this time he learned that I had been a musician and ask if I would play with a praise teem he wanted to start with his wife leading it ,but I refused to leave the youth telling him I had given up music, but he continued to try and get me join the praise teem but I continued to refuse to leave the youth. though he continued to pressure me to join.

Brother Smith I have only gave a little information here to let you know my back round in music, I did end up on the praise teem which ended in tears an a destroyed church and the pastor in prison. I know first hand the dangers and deceptions of CCM being a part of it for almost 5 years but the music is only the beginning there's much more that comes with it destroying within. 

I've wanted to write about this but just haven't had the time, if there's any information I have that would be helpful I would be happy to share it with you. we can discuss this on this thread if you have the time. 

God revealed to me the deception I had falling into and though I have repented and forsaking this the hurt still remains, there's so many that don't understand how this music will destroy God's house and his people and the long lasting hurt that comes with it.

May God bless your book to open the blinded eyes of those whom have falling into this deception before Satan destroy's the church from within.  

(Reviewing your book)          

Edited by EKSmith

• Members

I know first hand the dangers and deceptions of CCM being a part of it for almost 5 years but the music is only the beginning there's much more that comes with it destroying within. 

There is a quote in this book that Bro. Smith put in that came from someone named Sears that was quoted from David Cloud, anyway it says when the music standards lower, the dress standards lower; when the dress standards lower something else lowers and so one.  It reminds me of what you just said here about music only being the beginning.

• Members

I am on page 50.  I am upset I have to put it down and get to work.  I would like to read more now, but will have to wait until tomorrow.  I am enjoying it.  Very informational.  I actually felt a little weird reading page 40 to 50, but you stated your reasoning for putting it in there and I think the details were needed to make your point.  I think it was because you named names and then went into great detail...i felt like I was seeing someone naked...anyway, I look forward to finishing it.  Thanks for making it available. 

• Members

May God bless your book to open the blinded eyes of those whom have falling into this deception before Satan destroy's the church from within.  

(Reviewing your book)

I am sorry to hear about what you went through. Thank you for your kind words.

• Members

I am on page 50.  I am upset I have to put it down and get to work.  I would like to read more now, but will have to wait until tomorrow.  I am enjoying it.  Very informational.  I actually felt a little weird reading page 40 to 50, but you stated your reasoning for putting it in there and I think the details were needed to make your point.  I think it was because you named names and then went into great detail...i felt like I was seeing someone naked...anyway, I look forward to finishing it.  Thanks for making it available. 

You are quite welcome. I appreciate your comments.

• Members

Thank you Brother Smith, I'm thankful that God gave me the strength throughout this to overcome, but I still pray for the pastor that took thousands of dollars from the church and sets in prison today that he'll trust in Jesus as his savior.  

• Members

Brother Smith , I've been reviewing your book (not finished yet). One of the defense's used by the CCM will come from Eph 5:19 and Col 3:16 because most CCM music is taking from the book of Psalm and they would defend it as biblical a real good use of deception, I relate this to Amos 5: 23 Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs, for I will not hear the melody of thy viols ( stringed instruments) and Amos 6:5 That chant (improvise) to the sound of the viol, and invent to themselves music, like David.

a lot of CCM songs are of the songs of David  mostly a verse or two is used and repeated over and over throughout the song and some are taken from two or more psalms to create a song. a deception that is able to captivate many into thinking it's biblical and spiritual. this is why CCM will defend the music with the use of Eph. 5:19 and Col.3:16  I've heard this defense used from the pastor promoting CCM

Edited by EKSmith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You are quite welcome. I appreciate your comments.

Finished your book. Once again, thanks. I really liked the use of sooooooo much Bible. When you have God's Word on the matter, it is had to argue. I gave it to my wife to read, but she is struggling with it. She LOVES her CCM and she feels those against it is be "nit-picky". So it is not the books prOBlem with her struggling to read it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...she don't want to believe her belief is broke.