• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can God Use A Man That Drinks Wine?

The Glory Land

• Members

I guess I'm not really getting my point across.  Sorry.  Sometimes I know what I want to say, and it just doesn't come out.  Anyone else out there want to give it a shot?

Don't worry, HC. If we agree the doctrine is wrong, I suppose it isn't very important what category of 'wrong' we put it into. :-)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We're talking sin and adultery and drunkeness are sins.  The Bible shows that if one drinks booze, one sip even, one is a drunkard.  Opinions don't matter, just God's Word.

As for the double curse, see Isaiah 28:1-3 and Habakkuk 2:15-16

Drunkenness as sin...not in dispute.  One sip...Scriptures does not name that as such.

Personal convictions are okay, but adding to Scripture is dangerous.

• Members

Drunkenness as sin...not in dispute.  One sip...Scriptures does not name that as such.

Personal convictions are okay, but adding to Scripture is dangerous.

So now that you've read it, what are your thoughts on the double curse?

• Members

The passage from Isaiah speaks of the drunkard and the passage from Habakkuk speaks of the person who gets another drunk in order to see their nakedness. I see nothing in either about a "double curse".

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "double curse" in real-world terms to make your point more understandable.  

• Members

The passage from Isaiah speaks of the drunkard and the passage from Habakkuk speaks of the person who gets another drunk in order to see their nakedness. I see nothing in either about a "double curse".

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "double curse" in real-world terms to make your point more understandable.  

Wo or Woe means curse; it is a noun.

• Members

For Christians who are struggling with the word "wine" in the Bible.  I hope this helps.  If not?  Oh, well.    

The Bible is very clear on this subject, I will give you the "short" answer. The word "wine", in our English Bible, does not always mean a fermented drink. The main Hebrew word for "wine" (since the Old Testament was written in Hebrew) is "yayin" (what is pressed out).  It uses this Hebrew word "yayin" which means "grape juice". Remember that this word is almost always translated as "wine" whether the grape juice is fermented or not. When we think "wine", we always think "fermented", but this is not the case. The word "wine" in the Bible is a generic term. The context (words before and after the word wine) indicates whether it was fermented or not. For some examples of this look at Isaiah 65:8. Grape juice is called "wine" when it is still in the grapes on the vine, where it is impossible to be fermented.

• Members

People need to read before they make false statements The Member named "Candlelight claims I said the Jesus drank alcoholic wine when in fact I said the opposite. I would like an apology for that please Candlelight, Here is your quote "I am shocked when I here about a Christian talk about Jesus drinking alcoholic wine" that is a lie for I never did make any such claims. I do not drink any one who preaches the gospel is not to drink period. That is why John the Baptist refuse to drink wine. I am a Biblicist so I believe the bible word for word I do not believe there is any hidden meaning in part of the bible. So if it says wine it means wine period. Good wine is not a hidden code for grape juice.

• Members

Darren, there is no Bible term for "grape juice" right? So what do you suppose they called the stuff that spilled out of the grapes right after they stomped them? I believe they called it "wine" right then didn't they? Would the pure and righteous Son of God give alcoholic wine, (which his word calls a "mocker") to people, when His Word also says it is a "woe unto him" to do so?

Habakuk 2:15Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!

• Members

People need to read before they make false statements The Member named "Candlelight claims I said the Jesus drank alcoholic wine when in fact I said the opposite. I would like an apology for that please Candlelight, Here is your quote "I am shocked when I here about a Christian talk about Jesus drinking alcoholic wine" that is a lie for I never did make any such claims. I do not drink any one who preaches the gospel is not to drink period. That is why John the Baptist refuse to drink wine. I am a Biblicist so I believe the bible word for word I do not believe there is any hidden meaning in part of the bible. So if it says wine it means wine period. Good wine is not a hidden code for grape juice.

Not too slow to be offended, eh?  Ease up.  Perhaps she misunderstood. 

• Members

I do not drink, not because I can not handle it but because I mad a vow with God not too. I used to drink wine in fact I used to make my own wine as a hobby. 1 Timothy 3:3 when referring to a Bishop same thing as a Pastor it says not giving to wine. But when it gives the qualifications of a deacon it says in 1 Timothy 3:8 not giving to much wine. So why is a Pastor not to have any wine and a deacon not to have much wine. Well that is hard to answer. I would prefer nobody drink it causes problems trust me I know. Did Jesus make real wine at the wedding yes I believe he did people are not going to save the best grape juice for last that is just silly. I believe the bible says what it means and means what it says and he made water into wine period not new wine not grape juice but wine, He is the catcher though Jesus did not drink it. Now at the last supper did he use wine will they only had a sip and if that was wine it was all Jesus ever had though if I preform the Lords supper I would only use grape juice.

Now the problem is if it is okay to have small amounts of wine how much is to much and when is it ok. You should never drink around children period. You should never drink when you are going to operate a vehicle or make any important decision. You should never drink in public it is a bad witness the sinner observing you doesn't know how much you are drinking. We must avoid the appearance of evil. So when and how much is a big question. The wine made today is about 12% alcohol the wine made in the bible days was 6% or less. So if they drank a glass of wine you would only have a half a glass. Now I said I used to drink until I decided to follow my calling and get ordained but I took a vow like John the Baptist did. I like the fact that I drank for one reason it gave me something to give up for GOD. I only drank at celebrations and before bed it helped me get to sleep easy.

Some day I will be a Pastor of a Church and what will I tell people if you tell some one it is okay to have a drink they will have two drinks. I know how people are. Alcohol has cause so much deviation in so man peoples lives I have seen it with my own eyes I have seen the carnage cause by drinking. I was a medic in the navy years ago and saw the mess and horrible injuries inflicted and caused by drinking. I was a cab driver and have seen people at there worst while drinking. What is the fine line you cross from having a drink to being a drunkard. The bible says drunkards can not enter the kingdom.

If you want my advice take it or leave it. You do not need any wine. You need to serve the Lord and help reach the lost and dying world out there. Take a vow like John the Baptist did an for sake drinking all together. Serve the LORD win souls for GOD. Help out a ministry. The time is short here don't waste you salvation on a glass of wine it is not that important what is important is peoples lives. Open you eyes a see what drinking has done in your community. GOD BLESS you.

You said Jesus made alcoholic wine, Darren.  I replied to your post that He did not.  Please re-read your post.  Thank you.

• Members

Or, perhaps he misunderstood.  He says that he does not believe wine is grape juice.  Well, according to John 2, Jesus  and His Disciples wanted wine at that wedding feast in Cana. 

John 2:1-3 And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there: And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.

They?  Who is "they" referring to?  Why, the subjects... Jesus and the Disciples.

What?  Jesus wanted alcohol?  Well, He and His Disciples wanted wine, as the passage clearly states.  Darren says all wine is alcoholic and also says Jesus did not drink wine. 

What did He want wine for if He was not going to drink it?

And Scripture does reveal that Jesus did in fact drink wine.

Mark 14:25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine until...

As candlelight so rightly pointed out, the fruit of the vine is clearly called wine in Isaiah 65:8

Isaiah 65:8 Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all.

So, there is no doubt that Jesus did in fact drink wine.

But contrary to Darren's uneducated claim, not all wine was alcoholic in the Bible.  And the wine that Jesus drank was the pure blood of the grape; i.e., grape juice.

Archived