• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can God Use A Man That Drinks Wine?

The Glory Land

• Members

Let's say you have invited me to your daughter Wedding, and you placed the glass of wine to celebrate this special day with you. I would drink the wine with you, dance and bring my love offering to them.

Bible believer's shouldn't be drinking booze and dancing in public as both are an offense to God.  You should know better by now TGL.   :knuppel:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is a big difference between falling into some sin and casually or continually going on in some sin. While it's not a matter of salvation if one is in Christ, it is a matter of obedience and love. Christ says that if we love Him we will keep His commandments. Sure, we will stumble along the way, we may even fall at some time, but we shouldn't be walking in sin and we shouldn't view certain sins as something rather casual. We shouldn't be playing with temptation, toying with whether sin is sin, putting forth something that might cause another to stumble.

The traditional IFB stance on alcohol is well known, abstinence. Why even ask if one can be a wine drinker and expect God to still use them?

• Members

There is a big difference between falling into some sin and casually or continually going on in some sin. While it's not a matter of salvation if one is in Christ, it is a matter of obedience and love. Christ says that if we love Him we will keep His commandments. Sure, we will stumble along the way, we may even fall at some time, but we shouldn't be walking in sin and we shouldn't view certain sins as something rather casual. We shouldn't be playing with temptation, toying with whether sin is sin, putting forth something that might cause another to stumble.

The traditional IFB stance on alcohol is well known, abstinence. Why even ask if one can be a wine drinker and expect God to still use them?

My Bro. In Christ in South America,still have wine with their dinners. They will not be punish for this, In my opinion. What is worst to are body's, a glass of wine or a hamburger fried and full of greese that clogs our vains.

• Members

My Bro. In Christ in South America,still have wine with their dinners. They will not be punish for this, In my opinion. What is worst to are body's, a glass of wine or a hamburger fried and full of greese that clogs our vains.

Frankly, I think much of the opinions both for and against are based on society and upbringing.

• Members

Ye do err, not knowing the truth.  The same benefits that are said to be healthy that are found in wine can also be found in the unfermented juice of the grape...

The alcohol has something that grape juice does not though... chemicals that are toxic to the bloodstream.  Chemicals that kill brain cells, destroy vital organs in the body, cause man to be violent toward his neighbor or family, etc..

I agree with paid4.  Tired of the alcoholics promoting their sinful lusts.

Yet, God loves the drunk SFIC.  The first person to share the word of God with me was a former drunk.  I knew him from my childhood.  He was a wild one.  When I saw him years later, he had changed.  I couldn't imagine what had happened to him.  He shared his testimony with me. I found out that he had given up booze, his lust for women, cigarettes, marijuana, cocaine, pills and even coffee all at the same time.  He goes to a Baptist church, although it is not IFB.  The Lord has been using him in a mighty way since his salvation in 1992.  As born again Christians, we are supposed to help the drunk, too.  I also know many other believers who used to be alcoholics.  They have recovered.  God took alcohol away from them, by repentance.  They also serve the Lord Jesus Christ.  A man who used to go to my church, is active in Reformers Unanimous at Cleveland Baptist Church.  When he was having his difficulty with booze, the pastors in my IFB community did not give up on him.  He was put on church discipline in my IFB church.  I will spare everyone the details on that.  Anyway, he is very active in Reformers Unanimous and that is his ministry is bringing the drunk to RU where they can get the gospel, not just for alcohol, but other different addictions.  When I took my oldest brother to RU, one Friday night, they did a series on addiction to food.  Although, my brother doesn't have that problem.  Yes, gluttony is a problem with IFB's.  I am simply using both men, b/c he they are extreme examples of what our Lord can do, to break them from the bondage of alcohol and other compulsions.  I believe it is best to show compassion and love while witnessing to those who are struggling with booze.  I believe in tough love, but sometimes we can be too tough.       

• Members

It's one thing for a church to forbid alcohol but it's quite another to call it a biblical doctrine or sin because it is not a sin to drink. The bible says be not DRUNK with wine. Also the same with dancing. David danced. If you're married, do you not dance with your spouse or are you a bump on a log!!??

• Administrators

It's one thing for a church to forbid alcohol but it's quite another to call it a biblical doctrine or sin because it is not a sin to drink. The bible says be not DRUNK with wine. Also the same with dancing. David danced. If you're married, do you not dance with your spouse or are you a bump on a log!!??

If it's not a sin, then if a church "forbids it", the church would be sinning....As to dancing, no. My spouse and I don't dance. And neither of us are bumps on a log.  Don't try to make someone who does not partake out to be wrong...

• Members

If it's not a sin, then if a church "forbids it", the church would be sinning....As to dancing, no. My spouse and I don't dance. And neither of us are bumps on a log.  Don't try to make someone who does not partake out to be wrong...

HC, we all know that non IFB's think we are a glum lot.  That is the reason people bash us, too.  They believe we are too strict, although we are holding to standards... which is Biblical.  I have never had so much fun in my life since I have been an IFB.

• Members

HC, we all know that non IFB's think we are a glum lot. That is the reason people bash us, too. They believe we are too strict, although we are holding to standards... which is Biblical. I have never had so much fun in my life since I have been an IFB.

It's not only IFB's. The Free Methodist and Nazarene churches have the same rules about drinking, dancing, and playing cards.

• Members

It's not only IFB's. The Free Methodist and Nazarene churches have the same rules about drinking, dancing, and playing cards.

Christians may not do these things, but they will play the Devils State Lottery. I like the part when they say, I will help the church with my money, when they win.  Right....   :goodpost:

• Members

I am not familiar with the Free Methodists, Donillo.  Although, I would be careful with the Nazarene doctrine, if you chose to go that route.  They also make the IFB's look easy going.  :)  They are very strict, almost legalistic, at least in my area.

• Members

They are completely legalistic, candle - if you don't do certain things, or if you do certain other things, you lose your salvation.  Even though the Bible teaches otherwise...as do IFB...

I know that, HC.  I was trying to be gentle with Donillo.  They are a scary group.  I know a few people who went to the Nazarene church and are so against Christianity b/c of their ridiculous doctrine.  They think everyone is like the Nazarene Church.  *sigh*

Archived