• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Knowledge

Bro K

• Members

It saddens me to think of all those who will spend eternity in hell; especially those who had a many opportunities to turn to Christ but didn't.

It also greatly saddens me to think of all those who sincerely think they are Christians destined for heaven but will one day hear the Lord say He never knew them before they are cast into hell.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It saddens me to think of all those who will spend eternity in hell; especially those who had a many opportunities to turn to Christ but didn't.

It also greatly saddens me to think of all those who sincerely think they are Christians destined for heaven but will one day hear the Lord say He never knew them before they are cast into hell.

So true.  I believe one of the saddest verses in the entire bible is:  Acts 26:28 (KJV28  Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. 

• Moderators

This topic reminds me that the one tree Adam and Eve were forbidden to eat was that of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Not sure how that applies to this discussion but there's got to be something interesting there.

• Members

I believe that most of us would agree that Knowledge is important. But at what point does the use/need of knowledge become a stumbling block. I copied the following from another forum:

"Doesn't 1 John 5:1 grammatically say that regeneration logically precedes faith?

1Jn 5:1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.

In the Greek if that helps you:
1Jn 5:1 Πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων ὅτι ᾿Ιησοῦς ἐστιν ὁ Χριστὸς, ἐκ τοῦ Θεοῦ γεγέννηται, καὶ πᾶς ὁ ἀγαπῶν τὸν γεννήσαντα ἀγαπᾷ καὶ τὸν γεγεννημένον ἐξ αὐτοῦ.

First, the "everyone who believes" is the same as John 3:16's. The participle is present tense saying it is a continuous action, not that it happens in the present.

Second, "has been born of/by God" is really important. It is present passive indicative meaning that the action happened before the participle "believing" and continues to have an ongoing result. The passive is answered w/ the prepositional phrase "by God". This then would logically place the sequence of causality to say being born by God was the cause of the faith. Or to say it in reverse (like this verse), your faith is the result of your already being birthed by God. You believe because you have been born by God.

If that is the case, the regeneration is certainly a component or cause to faith.

If you disagree, can you exegetically explain this verse (and not resort to another verse)?"

I always knew that my knowledge was limited; but from the above, I must not know what knowledge is.
Have we come to the point where only the few dictate to the majority; based on how much learning one has??

The KJB says it this way.

1John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

The gospel is in this verse.  Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ.... The name Christ means anointed, the Messiah anointed one of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Redeemer, and the Savior.  If they believe that. Then they are saved or born of God.  The part of the verse that says every one that loveth him that begot.... "him" is God the Father.  The rest of the verse... loveth "him" also that is begotten of "him".  The first "him" is anyone that is born of God. Those who are born again. The 'him" at the end of the verse is God the Father. 

• Members

I should have stated that I highlighted those parts in red. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The main point was: Have we come to the point where only the few dictate to the majority; based on how much learning one has??

When we go to church; maybe we should take with us a Concordance, Bible Dictionary, Greek/Hebrew-English translating book, Lexicon-Synonyus and Thesaurus. And if we happen to know the sermon text we could carry a Commentary with us.

Didn't know that our forefathers who traveled through these mountains and hollers spreading the Gospel were so ignorant.

I believe we are getting away from the OP. The example given was simply to show how some likes to us $10.00 words when $1.00 words would work just fine. Due to inflation we no longer have 50 cent words!

• Members

I believe we are getting away from the OP. The example given was simply to show how some likes to us $10.00 words when $1.00 words would work just fine. Due to inflation we no longer have 50 cent words!

A penny two bits for your thoughts.  :twocents:

God bless,

Larry

• Members

While I know this verse is Paul preaching against the misuse of "tongues" we can apply it to our "$10" words as well.

1 Corinthians 14:19 (KJV)
19  Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. 

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power. For His glory.

• Members

Please forgive me taking this somewhat off-topic, but since it is "knowledge" based in it's request...Please pray for me.  It is finals week at my school and I had some brutal classes this term I am frantically studying for.

I'm so stressed about being stressed, I forgot what I was stressed about and it's stressing me out.

Bro. Garry

• Members

My thoughts are in the OP.  BTW; I believe two bits refers to a quarter.

Yes it does.  Again my sense of humor miscues.   I was attempting to play of the previous post of yours which mentioned inflation and apparently missed.  That was my 2 cents worth.  Embarrassing. :icon_redface:  They say if you have to explain humor, it really wasn't humorous in the first place.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Yes it does.  Again my sense of humor miscues.   I was attempting to play of the previous post of yours which mentioned inflation and apparently missed.  That was my 2 cents worth.  Embarrassing. :icon_redface:  They say if you have to explain humor, it really wasn't humorous in the first place.

God bless,

Larry

Sometimes we old timers miscues on a lot of things; especially our memory. :coffee2: Was that Reg or Decaf.

• Members

I have worn out 5 bibles studying God's Word, but the most important knowledge that I have ever gained from God's Word is sharing the Gospel with the lost and this is my most used knowledge.

It's very simple, nothing to hard that one cant understand, the works sometimes hard, it takes a lot of love and much prayer and there's a lot of joy in heaven when a lost soul trust Jesus as their savior. Amen 

• Members

I have worn out 5 bibles studying God's Word, but the most important knowledge that I have ever gained from God's Word is sharing the Gospel with the lost and this is my most used knowledge.

It's very simple, nothing to hard that one cant understand, the works sometimes hard, it takes a lot of love and much prayer and there's a lot of joy in heaven when a lost soul trust Jesus as their savior. Amen 

Good to hear about all the bibles you've ruined. ;)

Not only this but I've noticed that a lot of hard questions in the bible are answered when you practice what the scripture preaches. Walk the walk...

Check this out:

Proverbs 16:3- Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

Notice the works (walk, action) comes before the thoughts (.reasoning, talk)? I read many years ago in one of Dr. Martin DeHann's books that researchers have proving that literal movement helps a man figure things out easier ("how beautiful are the feet of them that bring glad tidings of great joy"). A good walk will help you get your mind straight. A lot of the great thinkers of the past would go for walks with other great thinkers when working out a problem. Einstein would do this a lot with his friend Kurt Godel (who would become born again later in life). This is why I get up and pace around when I thinking on some hard passages. It actually helps me understand them easier.

• Members

Good to hear about all the bibles you've ruined. ;)

Not only this but I've noticed that a lot of hard questions in the bible are answered when you practice what the scripture preaches. Walk the walk...

Check this out:

Proverbs 16:3- Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

Notice the works (walk, action) comes before the thoughts (.reasoning, talk)? I read many years ago in one of Dr. Martin DeHann's books that researchers have proving that literal movement helps a man figure things out easier ("how beautiful are the feet of them that bring glad tidings of great joy"). A good walk will help you get your mind straight. A lot of the great thinkers of the past would go for walks with other great thinkers when working out a problem. Einstein would do this a lot with his friend Kurt Godel (who would become born again later in life). This is why I get up and pace around when I thinking on some hard passages. It actually helps me understand them easier.

I have for years taken up walking first thing in the morning when I wake up for my prayer time.  There is nothing like taking a walk with the Lord.  Not only does it keep you alert/awake while praying (a problem I struggled with always with my morning prayer) but helps me simply listen instead of always doing the talking when I am praying.  I have always wondered about people who are visiting the God of the Universe and THEY do all the talking.  You all should try it!

Bro. Garry

• Moderators

God bless,

Larry

I got it. :wink

Archived