• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can We Reclaim This Dress Standard?

WVPastor

• Moderators

For the record, pants are the most uncomfortable, confining, awkward garments ever - thus decided me the second-last time I went skiing!  I now cannot figure out why women ever fought to wear them...

Why exactly is a man trying to tell us women how we think, anyways? Methinks someone is treading on thin ice... :bleh: 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For the record, pants are the most uncomfortable, confining, awkward garments ever - thus decided me the second-last time I went skiing!  I now cannot figure out why women ever fought to wear them...

Why exactly is a man trying to tell us women how we think, anyways? Methinks someone is treading on thin ice... :bleh: 

LOL!  I have often thought this myself Salyan.  Personally I find blue jeans VERY uncomfortable.  They pinch me and cause constant readjustment by me to remain even somewhat comfortable.  If that weren't true there wouldn't be all those ads promising "relaxed fit" or special "U" shape design that doesn't pinch as much.  I sometimes envied the woman who got to wear MUCH less confining and pinching, loose apparel.

Bro. Garry

BUT then I saw and what they try to stuff their feet into and watched them actually do it AND still walk.  Y'all just gotta love pain.

• Moderators

I'll tell you  little story of when I stopped wearing shorts.

The first year I was a pastor, we had a youth camp at a local lake. I wore a pair of knee-length denim shorts, and one day, I think the second day there, one of the ladies asked me to help move her tent. So we picked it up without taking it down, and out crawled about a 4ft gartersnake, right toward her, bringing a shriek from her, as she hated snakes. Well, being the manly man I am, I stepped up and bent over to grab that snake, and about the time I got a firm grasp on him, the croth of my shorts expired, from the frontwaist to the back waist. Fortunately, she was too scared to notice and was turned away, so here I was, with a wriggling angry snake in one hand, and the other hand desperately trying to help me keep a modicum of decorum as I shuffled over to a bush to release my captive. I told her I'd be right back, carefully zipped over to my tent and changed into pants.

Do I believe that God did this to make me stop wearing shorts? I don't know, but such was the experience that I wasn't going to test it: If I was going to be an IFB pastor and teach modesty in dress, I shoud seek to show it at all times in my own life, and stay away from that which might even be questionable.

• Moderators

LOL!  I have often thought this myself Salyan.  Personally I find blue jeans VERY uncomfortable.  They pinch me and cause constant readjustment by me to remain even somewhat comfortable.  If that weren't true there wouldn't be all those ads promising "relaxed fit" or special "U" shape design that doesn't pinch as much.  I sometimes envied the woman who got to wear MUCH less confining and pinching, loose apparel.

Bro. Garry

BUT then I saw and what they try to stuff their feet into and watched them actually do it AND still walk.  Y'all just gotta love pain.

I do enjoy a good kilt!100_1618-2.jpg

• Members

But women did not, as a general rule, lust after men in the same way that men lust after women.  It is the perversion of the society that has encouraged women to become like men in their lusting.  And that has resulted in an actual changing of the way most women think.  And most men think that women have always thought like that - because men have.

I have never heard this said before. What about all the teenage girls screaming after bands in the 1960s? What about that girl in It's a wonderful life hoping that Jimmy Stewart will call in at her family home? Of course what do I know, but have to say I've never heard such a claim before.

• Members

I have never heard this said before. What about all the teenage girls screaming after bands in the 1960s? What about that girl in It's a wonderful life hoping that Jimmy Stewart will call in at her family home? Of course what do I know, but have to say I've never heard such a claim before.

Did they lust after men or not lust after men in those days, I can't tell you.  But I can tell you the girls and women didn't do near as much advertising as they have done since the so-called feminist revolution.  In the fifties when I was a teenager the girls who did advertising were called loose or floosies or chippies among other things.  Today dressing in such a fashion as to advertise their endowments is expected by the society.  I am sorry but some things left unchecked do get worse over time and dress and behavior are two of them.

And about teenage girls screaming after bands.  I think if you go back to the days before radio, television, and movies you would see very little of that behavior.  Most people consider the things just mentioned as progress . . . . I don't.  I guess I am sort of a Luddite when it comes to so-called progress.  I believe that for something to be called progress it should improve the human condition not degrade it.  :hide:

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Most women crave the love, attention, and affection from a man. That's different than lusting after a man.
Men use love (promising love) to get the women.(lust)
Women use men's lust to try to get the love.

I think the generalisation is correct, but there are always exceptions.

• Members

When I was a child in school, from '68 to '81, there were many girls lusting away. A few were more quiet about it than others, but some were rather open. I still remember when in 7th grade we were on a field trip to a college and I was shocked to hear the things several of the girls were saying about where they were looking when they were checking out the college guys.

I've heard more than enough over the years of the tight sweaters in the '50s, and we know where the term "rock 'n roll" came from and the girls/women were certainly involved.

Many women were going wild in the '20s and back in the 1800s there were always more than enough women ready to go.

I really don't know where the idea that women didn't lust until recently has come from. There is a plethora of historical evidence to clearly indicate otherwise, both within America and many other nations as well.

No doubt dress standards have deteriorated over time with regards to everyday dress, but throughout the ages many women dressed to draw men's attention whether we look at some of the society women in old Europe or brothels of America.

Sin is common to all. At times in the past men weren't always as blunt or loud about their lust either but that certainly doesn't mean they weren't lusting back then.

In any event, male or female, our call is to dress modestly and we all likely have a pretty good idea of what that means. No doubt some of us could quibble over some details, but overall we know modest and immodest when we see it.

Archived