• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can We Reclaim This Dress Standard?

WVPastor

• Administrators

Some of those 60s clothes looked crazy! I guess I should confess something too: in the late 1980s I used to wear shellsuits.

Anyway, back to the op...

They were, indeed!  But I was never allowed to wear them. I wanted to, but my mom had a lot of wisdom...

Yes, back to the op... :icon_smile:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Several years ago I regularly saw a man wearing skirts - knee length fashion skirts - NOT KILTS - definitely skirts.
He had quite a range and was happy to tell people that it was just something he wanted to do.
Married heterosexual male - no funny stuff going on (apart from the skirts ).
And where I live is a fairly conservative city.

• Members

Came across this article in a magazine about a man who was born in North Korea; made it to China from where he went to South Korea to live with a brother he had not seen in over 57 years. While in South Korea he became a Christian.  While there he joined a group of  Christians who would take a boat and go up the coastline of North Korea, and toss scriptures in a sealed bag in the sea so they would wash up on the shore of North Korea. 

This is a quote from the magazine: "It may seem strange that an uneducated farmer now wears a suit and tie to toss gospel tracts into the sea at night. But for Mr Yu it is a matter of honor and respect. As an ambassador of Christ, he offers his best"

As I mentioned on another thread; I'm the only one who wears a suit for our Wednesday night services. Sometimes I feel like a fish out of water. After seeing Mr Yu comment; maybe I should be 'hanging out' with uneducated farmers like Mr Yu; after all, its apparent that their HEART is in the right place.

• Members

I was just going to mention the year for the downfall of Christianity.  You mentioned it in your post.  It was in 1973, and you mentioned why.

I noticed in my mother's yearbook ( (it covered the years 1928-1982) she received when her Alma mater shut down for good that all the girls wore dresses in her school until 1973 when they started to wear pants. 

• Members

I noticed in my mother's yearbook ( (it covered the years 1928-1982) she received when her Alma mater shut down for good that all the girls wore dresses in her school until 1973 when they started to wear pants. 

That is interesting ASOD.  1973 was the year of Roe v. Wade, too.

• Members

I don't know....my mom wore pants all the time in her old photos....I hardly in her teenage years or anything like that.  I don't think they were really all that "modest" back then in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

Watch the Dick Van Dyke show...that was from, when, the late 50's?   "Laura Petrie" always wore a pair of pants.  I guess they were trying to represent a "modern" home at the time, but still.

Not arguing, just saying that the dates of "turning to pants" probably depended on location and other variables.

• Members

You are probably right, Kitagirl. Pants were worn by women in other geographical locations centuries ago. There is artwork that proves that.

I agree with both of you.  Didn't Annie Oakley wear pants?

• Members

One of the differences pertaining to America with regards to pants is, yes some women did wear pants prior to the 20th century, mostly for comfort and practicality, but in the mid-20th century some women began wearing pants (including pant suits) as a means of expressing their radical feminism. They were purposefully trying to stir trouble by the style of pants they wore, how they wore them and the attitude they proclaimed in them. This greatly tainted the whole issue, much as hippies wearing beards in the 60s had the effect of seeing many churches and pastors denouncing beards as of the devil to the point of not allowing pastors to have beards and requiring male church members to be clean shaven!

Archived