• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can We Reclaim This Dress Standard?

WVPastor

• Moderators

One is an abomination, a cross-dresser.
One is ignoring the apparel of women professing godliness...good works.

Anishinaabe

I honestly don't believe that women wearing pants in this day and age is cross-dressing. 70 years ago, yes. Today, no. The culture has changed.

Before you say that such changes are a reflection of the times and shouldn't be accommodated, just remember that once upon a time it was the men that wore leggings and short shorts. :wink

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so which of the two women I described is more Godly?

they both sound like sinners :P haha

to be honest... and I may get hit on the head for it... I do think women should be modest... tight jeans/yoga pants are a no go... but to say that girls should never ever wear pants, I dont buy into that much detail.

• Members

I honestly don't believe that women wearing pants in this day and age is cross-dressing. 70 years ago, yes. Today, no. The culture has changed.

Before you say that such changes are a reflection of the times and shouldn't be accommodated, just remember that once upon a time it was the men that wore leggings and short shorts. :wink

Yeah, leggings and a knee length skirt are a man's garment.
Most IFB women wear this outfit.
I'm amazed at how many people think that Jesus wore a dress to His ankles.

But, the parted garment is a sign of authority, and shouldn't be worn by women.

Breeches....the sides of a part.

Anishinabe

• Members

Saylan, again I think you're in error. How can you be a moderator on an IFB website with some of your views? No wonder this place is run amuck.

Really???  you are saying "again" and "views" as plural, so I am not referring to what I don't know (the plural).  But OBviously her view on pants is one you disagree with and are using to judge her IFB status.  Her point is clothing styles change and as long as nakedness is covered and don't dress like harlots, you are modest (summary??).  Your view seems to be that you have to dress like ladies did 50 or so years ago to be modest and an IFBIf you personally are not dressing like NT times, you are a hypocrite.  If you ARE dressing the way ladies dressed 50-70 years ago, you have just aknowledged that dress standards do change.  If you believe dress standards change, how can you judge anybody on this issue??  Who says you get to draw the line on what era of clothing is modest or woman's style or acceptable IFB attire?  Take it back 50 years? 100 years?  500 years? 

• Members

Your post kind of highlights one of the prOBlems being faced today. No longer is being IFB a matter of the fundamentals, and no longer is "independent" honoured, because in some circles we are entering the land of long lists of rules that one must totally and fully accept and abide by in order to be considered a true IFB.

In some IFB churches we see the women all dressed like Mrs. Ingles in her long, plain dress while in the IFB church on the other side of town the women dress like June Cleaver. Well, the "Ingles church" finds the "June church" to be immodest because the length of the June dresses are not as long as the length of the Ingles dresses. Thus the Ingles church declares the June church to not really be IFB.

There are similar arguments among some IFBs regarding hair length (on men as well as women), the color of shirts men are allowed to wear, whether a church podium is wood or some other material, acceptable ties, proper shoes for women, the wide variety of disparity regarding music and songs, etc.

Are all of these really matters which determines whether one is an IFB or not?

We seem to be becoming entangled in so many things we are losing our focus, which should be upon Christ, doing what He has called us to do, pursuing personal holiness, letting our light shine as a witness and example to others, being in much prayer, sharing the Gospel, making disciples, training up the next generation in Christ...

Yes, we need to tend to many other matters, but they shouldn't be the priority and they don't need to be points of contention, and many (perhaps most) don't need to be matters of separation. They certainly shouldn't be matters looked at to determine whether one is or isn't saved or an IFB.

In all this we should also remember that just as individual Christians are not all at the same maturity level, the Lord isn't dealing with each of us about the exact same things at the exact same time, that's also true of individual churches. We need to leave room for the Lord to work, not only in our own church, but in other churches as well. If our church, or another, has an issue that needs attention, the Lord will raise that matter with each church in His timing.

The Lord may be dealing with one church on missionary matters rather than what color shirt the men wear or the dress style of the women. Yet in another church it may be the Lord is dealing with them on matters of dress even while another church the Lord is directing their attention to matters pertaining to use of building funds, etc.

There will be no perfection in this life. We won't be perfect, our own church won't be perfect, no other church will be perfect.

• Members

^^^^^  That is the beauty of being IFB.  My personal pet peeve, is that the dress standard is always focused on women.  The women in my church always dress modestly.  However, the men look like slOBs some of the time.  Women wear dresses or skirts to Wednesday night Bible studies, yet some of the men wear jeans and a t-shirt?  How hard is it for a man to wear a pair of khakis, a nice button down shirt and a tie to Bible study?

I live in in the land of Muslims.  I look at the Shi'ite Muslim women dressed in their black burkas, with only their eyes showing and their husbands look like they just rolled out of bed, with holes in their jeans and t-shirts.  Down in Amish Country the Mennonite women wear dresses to their ankles, have their hair in a bonnet, with white soaks and tennis shoes on, while their husbands look like some of the sloppy IFB men and the Muslim men.

Why is it that these threads are always focused on women's attire?  I am certain that many OB members think I am a liberal woman as my hair is just past shoulder length.  I wear lipstick, too.  Oh, my!  Well, if the barn door needs painting, then paint it.  I wear very little makeup, and the makeup I do wear is Mary Kay, as she was a born again Christian.  Anyhoo, if you knew my hubby, you would know that this is so far from the truth.  He is a stubborn Hungarian man that stays true to his convictions.  I have never been the spiritual leader of my home.  I wouldn't even want the jOB.  Truth being, I have had my hair long and it is all over the place.  It takes hours to groom.  Conviction is key here.  I try not to take the inventory of other people - that one is for you, SFIC  :)  I have enough to work on in my own life than to be concerned about what other women wear.  We answer to Jesus Christ, our husbands - if we are married, and I also answer to my pastor and his wife.      

• Members

I've never been in an IFB church where the men dressed poorly but I've seen it in other churches. It's a bad testimony and it opens the door for others to follow.

Male or female, we should dress respectful and decently. If a nice pair of blue jeans is all one owns, fine, but if a man owns nicer clothing he should take the time to put that on for church.

• Members

I've never been in an IFB church where the men dressed poorly but I've seen it in other churches. It's a bad testimony and it opens the door for others to follow.

Male or female, we should dress respectful and decently. If a nice pair of blue jeans is all one owns, fine, but if a man owns nicer clothing he should take the time to put that on for church.

Sadly, these few men have been saved for years John.  One man, bless his heart, works about 12 hours a day.  He comes into the Lutheran Church where we have our services, and immediately changes in the bathroom, into suitable clothing for Bible Study and prayer.  

Believe me, these few men have nicer clothing to wear.  I have seen it.  I want to talk with my FIL - Deacon - about it, but I don't want to overstep my bounds.  My husband believes it is between them and the Lord, and won't say a word.  I have to respect what he is saying.  My FIL and my pastor, along with many other men are dressed appropriately.  I don't understand how they don't get the hint, especially since they are seasoned Christians.  *shrugs*

• Members

:goodpost::amen::amen::amen:

Archived