• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can We Reclaim This Dress Standard?

WVPastor

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a pride confession to make.  I got dressed in slacks and nice shirt and tie because I had to drop in at Walmart while I was running some errands and I didn't want to look like a Walmart shopper.

:clapping: Brother Garry.

• Members

I have read these posts with interest.  Clothing is always an area of disagreement between well meaning Christian people.  Here is my two cents from what I have been able to spiritually discern from Bible study:

Clothing is important to God:

In the OT priests took great care of their garments and the law was specific in what they were to wear.  

Both in the OT and NT there are specifics about clothing for both women and men so being repeated more than once it is important for both the law and age of grace.

We are to honor God in all 1 Cor 10:31.  So if we keep God in mind, not ourselves, or others, we will want to please Him in all areas including our choice of clothing.  Certainly we cannot reach this perfection of pleasing Him in all this side of Heaven but our conscious does work or we would not be Christians and God has innately planted inside of us an inner voice to guide us in making choices, including our clothing.

Now speaking for myself: the choice of what clothing to wear was not an area of first conviction.  Even though I was positionally sanctified my clothing choices did not line up best with God's Word until He convicted me of necessary changes to make.  

To look at another just from outside we can come to inappropriate conclusions based only on  their outward appearance.  God knows the heart.

Would it not be better to take an individual under your wing who may not be convicted in this area, clothing, and allow God to use you rather than look from a distance and pick them apart spiritually.  That was what was most helpful for me in many areas needing change was an individual who cared enough to expect my best for God not just what I felt like giving to Him.

However, that being said- there are individuals who do not want to change in this area of their life placing a stumbling block for other Christians. Then it is up to a God fearing group of Christians led by a man of God who is willing to do the work of the God: pray, model, teach, and rebuke, allowing God's hand and timing to work in the situation in His will and way. 2 Tim 2:15, 2 Tim 3:16

Honestly, there are just too many weak kneed leaders and Christians  not willing to change and flee from personal sin in their life which is just as distasteful to God as improper clothing.  Lets face it .... we all need much improvement in our Christian walk.

• Members

2belikeJesus, let's not be knocking Walmart shoppers. For some of us it's the only big store in town! And affordable. I try to only go once a month. However, I agree I make sure I don't wear anything that will get me on peopleofwalmart.com!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Our town must be one of the most conservative towns. I have never seen scantily clad people at our walmart.

Boy, we see it all the time at my Wal-Mart. But, then again, my area has recently become inundated with gypsies, and those young girls dress to attract the boys. It's horrible!

To address the OP, I think this is an area where we can cross over into legalism very quickly if we're not careful. This is one of those areas where it's impossible to line up today's standards with the standards that would have been around during the times the Bible was written, because in the region of Israel, and in those times, clothing that pertains to men and clothing that pertains to women would be vastly different than what we hold as a standard today, in Western society. This is why we should search the Scriptures, seek wise, godly counsel from the older women (per Titus 2) and give this area over to the Lord entirely. Ask your husband. If you aren't married, ask your dad. Chances are, even if your husband or father isn't walking with the Lord he will know what manner of dress provokes lust in a man's mind. 

You would be surprised what sort of things can cause a brother to stumble. I stopped wearing cross-body bags (like messenger bags) a few years ago when I read about how it draws a very tight line down through a woman's bust line. It honestly never occurred to me! I do not attend a dresses-only church, even though we are an independent, conservative, KJVO church. Many of our members are very poor and come to church in their work clothes or their blue jeans and t-shirts. We do have some young women who have been asked to please dress more modestly. These are our bus ministry teens and many of them come from rough homes, so there is no one there to give them sound advice on modest clothing when they are shopping and, subsequently, dressing for Sunday services. 

I have gone through periods of being skirts/dresses-only. I even went through a season of covering my head except when sleeping. With that said, I do occasionally wear pants. Mainly just for exercising. I have tried wearing skirts/dresses to walk. Even wearing leggings underneath, it's very uncomfortable. I wear loose fitting track pants, though, and a long t-shirt to cover myself. I wear only skirts/dresses to church, with the exception of the ladies' meetings. Because I'm only in the company of other women, I will occasionally, wear a nice pair of blue jeans to those with a tunic top. At church I wear skirts and dresses that come below the knee. If they are made of a lighter fabric, I wear a slip. If, by some slim chance, the skirt falls at the knee or slightly above the knee cap, I will wear tights or leggings underneath so when I sit down I will still be modest. And all shirts fall at collar bone length or higher. Our church choir loft has a modesty wall, since we don't use choir rOBes.

Women should be mindful of how to bend and sit down like a lady. If your shirt might gap open, hold it in place with your hand. Try to crouch, not bend at the waist. Another issue of modesty I think men and women should think about is hugging. I know Baptists are a friendly lot, and handshake time is commonplace in the middle of Sunday morning service, but I'm of the opinion that unrelated men and women should not hug. There are exceptions, of course. If one must hug, then it should be to the side, or just a brief arm around the neck. Bodies shouldn't be pressed together in the front and there shouldn't be embracing. I have only "hugged" two men at church. I gave a quick arm around the shoulder to my pastor once when he asked for prayer and another was an elder in our church whose wife had just passed away. I will hug other women all day long, and hug most women in my church, but the men get handshakes. Unfortunately, we have a real "Mr. Friendly" in my church who doesn't seem to understand that and will try and pull me in for a hug every time. I've had to learn how to dodge him during handshake time.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

In my opinion, this ongoing debate is prolonged by pride; either intentional or unintentional.  Relativism is one of the many things that has infiltrated the church.  It is so prevalent, at least in our culture, that many honest, God-fearing Christians are not even aware of it.

I believe that, deep down, people are well aware of what kind of clothing and hairstyles are appropriate for men and women.  It is my opinion that an overwhelming amount of Christians approach subjects, such as these, with the question of, "How worldly can I remain before it is considered sinning?"  Instead of recognizing dangerous issues for what they are and opting to flee from all appearance of the world, we ask, "What is the closest that I can possibly get to sinning without sinning?  I won't let go of things that give the appearance of the world unless I absolutely have to."

Similar debates exist about many things, including tattoos.  I have heard many arguments for and against tattoos within Christian communities and they will, more than likely, continue ad infinitum.  Since it is such a heated topic and there is enough reason to conclude that they are sinful, whether they are or not, I have made the decision to keep my arms covered at all times unless I am bathing or sleeping; not only for myself, but so that I do not cause others to stumble.  My possible right to display them is less important to me than the impression that I may give, as a Christian, to the world and to other Christians.  It so happens that my sacrifice is not a terribly great one, since I absolutely loathe my tattoos, but even when it is ninety degrees outside and it would be more comfortable to wear short sleeves, I continue to wear long sleeve shirts.

The same goes for my decision to no longer wear shorts of any length.  It is more important for me to err on the side of modesty than to err on the side of immodesty and prove myself to be a stumbling block to others.

Why then, can Christian women not see what seems to be clearly right in front of their eyes?  With the issue being so divisive, why can Christian women not simply sacrifice their comfort, pride and "freedom" for the sake of honoring God and eliminating a source of temptation within (and without) the church?

If we concede to a standard of women wearing dresses and having long hair and men wearing pants and having short hair, there can be (at least within the church) no confusion of gender.  

The same holds true with the issue of wearing jewelry or makeup or ornate hairstyles (on men or women).  Are we so vain that we will fight to the death (or at least division) for the right to draw attention to ourselves?  "I love you, Lord, but I still want to hold onto my right to look good." If we err on the side of caution, what do we lose?  Will God accuse us of being too cautious in our zeal to honor Him?  As long as we are not seeking legalistic salvation in doing so, why not flee from all appearance of sin?

It is also my opinion that, as Christians, this means in all places at all times; not just at church.  I have heard the argument that is is acceptable to make exceptions for wearing immodest swimwear at the beach or on swimming or gymnastic teams (&c.).  I would disagree.  If swimming at the beach or being on a sports team involves wearing immodest attire, then I believe that those activities are ones in which we, as Christians, cannot participate.

I make a point to contain this to matters within the church.  As far as I am aware, it is not our responsibility to convince the world to live up to biblical standards. 

Brother the wisdom of this post is great.

thank you for this post. I really do appreciate it. 

• Members

Why then, can Christian women not see what seems to be clearly right in front of their eyes?  With the issue being so divisive, why can Christian women not simply sacrifice their comfort, pride and "freedom" for the sake of honoring God and eliminating a source of temptation within (and without) the church?

If we concede to a standard of women wearing dresses and having long hair and men wearing pants and having short hair, there can be (at least within the church) no confusion of gender.

If it comes down to coming up with a rigid standard, I can think of a much simpler solution that ticks the boxes of eliminating temptation and retaining a gender distinction. Very baggy boiler suits, pink for women and blue for men, with the word 'woman' or 'man' emblazoned on the front and back. Women sometimes complain that skirts/dresses aren't warm enough, can hinder movement, and show too much in certain situations. A baggy pink boiler suit would have none of those disadvantages.

Of course, they prOBably wouldn't be very comfortable or flattering, but as you say yourself why should those be priorities over modesty and gender distinction?

Archived