• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can We Reclaim This Dress Standard?

WVPastor

• Administrators

sigh.   Harlots don't lust (and didn't) after men, they lust after money...big difference.  Lot's daughters did not lust after him, they lusted after children. Women are different from men (duh)...God made women to think differently than men. He wired them differently.  What women lusted after in the past was different, by and large, than what men lusted after.  Yes, there have been women who lusted sexually. But that was not the general rule.  Even the example of the son being taught to beware of harlots shows that men were the ones who could be trapped by sex.  Women were/are trapped by other things - like the promise of love, the desire for children, security, etc.

Wickedness is not new. Of that there is no doubt.  But women did not, as a general rule, lust after men in the same way that men lust after women.  It is the perversion of the society that has encouraged women to become like men in their lusting.  And that has resulted in an actual changing of the way most women think.  And most men think that women have always thought like that - because men have.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

There's been more than one woman who has told me I'm immodest because my skirt only comes to the middle of my calf (or not all the way to my ankle, depending on what I'm wearing) while they are modest because their entire legs are covered by their pants (talk about stupid!).  While their pants are skin tight.  Ahuh.  And it's interesting - I've never brought it up. At all. It's always been the (saved) woman wearing the tight pants getting on me for my skirt.  Seems maybe they might have been under some conviction....

Sounds about right.... Talk about a logical disconnect! :shootme:

In past years, women didn't lust after men.

Women have lusted after men for ages, HC. In Proverbs, we see a son being warned not to be enticed by harlots. In Genesis, we see Lot's daughters lusting after him.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I don't think the situation with Lot was quite like that. It was more like they were desiring children.

How in the world did we end up on Lot's daughters?! BTT!!

• Members

I had a friend once who, in reference to the skirts I wore even to work, said that her husband has seen more of my legs in my skirts than my husband will ever see of her legs in her pants.

other than bringing up her low cut shirts and her crotch, I had no reply.....

• Moderators

SFIC, that was uncalled for. And no, we're not all adults here. Even if we were, there are some things that are inappropriate for discussion in mixed company. Now, please, no more iffy topics, or this thread will be locked and cleaned.

• Members

I guess I helped in the inappropriate mentions...sorry about that!   Its just that the central theme of modesty is...well...that stuff.  

My point about husbands seeing each others legs was probably more innocent than it sounded.  The whole story is that I had been telling my friend (at the time) that skirts were more modest, and that my husband didn't want men looking at me and being able to see my form.  She countered that her husband could see way more of my legs than my husband could see of hers, in her pants.  Her point being that she thought her pants were just as modest, if not more so, than my knee length work skirts.

And like I said, I had no reply for her. Which technically, modesty could be different for different people, I guess, depending on what "attracts" them?  I dunno.  It's too complicated these days.

• Members

Yeah, they submitted to the world in Bible times too by wearing robes. 

Gimme a break.

There is nothing wrong with a woman wearing pants that are not skin-tight.  If loose-fitting pants on women causes you men to lust, repent and look the other way.  The problem is in your heart.

If loose fitting pants on a woman causes you women to be jealous, repent and look the other way.  The problem is in your heart.

• Members

Someone here once said something along the lines that if one could see the shape of a woman's thigh in her jeans that too was immodest.  The Lord said that seeing the thigh was being naked and wrong.  To this person's reasoning, which made sense to me, if you can see the shape it's the same as seeing it in the flesh.  

This is why I dislike going out anymore.  Went to Walmart tonight for 15 minutes and saw way more than I ever wanted to.  For most of my adult life my head was on a swivel.  It's taken years to get those thoughts out of my head and think differently about what is seen.  Thanks to God that's largely been accomplished.   

• Members

I know what you mean Swath. A trip to Walmart is almost always a challenge. It's a shame one needs to pray up and be strong in the Lord and the power of His might just to go shopping.

Not only is immodesty virtually always abounding there, the things some people wear to Walmart (and don't wear) would have been considered totally inappropriate not that many years ago.

When did it become acceptable to go shopping in pajamas? Why do so many oversized people go shopping wearing clothes several sizes too small? Is there something about Walmart that makes women think they don't need to wear undergarments? Where are all these mothers with tween and teen girls, all dressed like what used to be prostitute attire, coming from? Why are guys with beer bellies wearing shirts that leave nearly half their gut sagging out?

I can't even count the times I've seen a woman so immodestly dressed that I've hurriedly diverted my children's attention and backtracked until they have moved on. That's one of the reasons I sometimes go shopping by myself, or just my wife and I.

A person diverting their attention from immodestly dressed people in Walmart could almost get whiplash! Sad to say but while winter used to be a safer season to shop, that's no longer the case anymore either.

Archived