• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wow! Kudos To This Public School Principal...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I remember when I was in elementary school my father saying to the principal (in front of me) that if he had any behavior problems with me he had his permission to spank me and then tell my dad and I'd get it again at home. That pretty much sent me the message not to good off in school.

With that said, I'm totally against any kind of spanking of students in any kind of public education setting. Too many variables and it is the parents responsibility......not someone elses.

• Members

Well at that school, the parents have to give permission for it to happen at all. Also, the parents are given the option to come to the school and spank. If they delegate that authority to the principal, that is their prerogative.

I admire this principal for having the courage to do this, all the while maintaining compassion for the students.

• Members
With that said' date=' I'm totally against any kind of spanking of students in any kind of public education setting. Too many variables and it is the parents responsibility......not someone elses.[/quote']
I think I agree with you here, trc. I've given this issue some thought, having been both a classroom teacher and a parent. I know that teachers are supposedly acting in loco parentis when they spank a child. IOW, the parents have delegated the authority to administer that sort of discipline to the school administration...which is fine, I guess (kind of a biblical "loophole"), but certainly not preferable. The Bible really never gives anyone but parents the instruction to discipline their kids in this way.

When I was a 21-year-old fourth grade teacher, fresh from college, "knowing everything" but having zero experience, I had to spank 10 out of my 30 students (for things like lying, cheating, etc.). I remember standing in the principal's office, holding a paddle for the very first time, facing someone else's crying child, and thinking: "I have no idea how to use this thing. How hard do I hit? How far back do I need to swing my arm?" etc. Was the discipline effective? Probably. Was it right? I don't know.

• Members

Corporal punishment in the Public School system is still VERY legal in the State of Ohio. Most people are oblivious to this fact.

Thanks for sharing... Bakers. Amen to him! Yes... some students need it. =)

~ Molly

• Members

I see your point...but it all goes back to what I believe the purpose of a spanking is. I do not see a spanking (as described biblically) as punishment, but as part of an ongoing, loving relationship we personally, as a mom and dad, have established with our child. I don't see it as something anyone outside this relationship should do. The school officials do not have such a relationship with my child. (Of course my children are homeschooled, but I'm talking about if they did attend school.) I'm not saying it is wrong for others (not mom and dad) to spank a child; I'm just saying I wouldn't want anyone else spanking my children, and I can understand why other parents wouldn't want that, either. I don't think the biblical purpose of a spanking is punishment, but part of a discipleship process between two parties who both recognize it to be such. That's why I would not be in favor of spanking in public schools. They abuse the purpose of spanking. (I'm sure it gets results, but that in itself is not enough to make it right--just pragmatic.) I would be more in favor of a Christian school, where at least the goal is spiritual growth and biblical character development, to employ what is called "corporal punishment" (I don't even agree with the name) than I would be a public school doing so.

• Members
I would give Corporal Punishment a medal but' date=' he can't be found here in Ohio. MIA.[/quote']

lol... 1Tim. He is legal, though. It is sad that many people don't know this to be fact. :) They haven't known it for years... and they wonder what is wrong with the public school system in OH? Just because they took the actual paddle down off the wall... doesn't mean it isn't still in OH law. It is legal and people are oblivious to it. :sad

God bless ~

Molly

• Administrators

One of the reasons that most people don't realize that it's still legal in many states to spank children at school is the media. All the hype about abuse (and really, I know that it goes on, so I'm not making light of it) puts a scare into people, and with all the psychobabble about it hurting a child's psyche...a majority of people in America no longer believe that spanking is necessary for aiding in instilling self-discipline. Time outs and lost privileges are the answer...even as we see the poor results all around us!!!

As far as spanking in the public schools....this principal obviously has the right attitude. He isn't spanking for the joy of inflicting pain. He doesn't enjoy it. And he has parental permission. Parental permission is all that he needs to be Biblical about it, even though that wasn't a point in the article.

The father is the head of the home...and if he chooses to put his child(ren) in any school, that is his right. And if he chooses to give permission for that school to administer discipline, that is also his right, as head of his home. The Bible may not say that others can spank, but if the father delegates it is within the sphere of his responsibility.

I think homeschooling is wonderful. We did it for several years, and I missed it greatly, as did our son, when we put him in school. But it was a decision made by my husband, who believed it was what God wanted for us at the time. And part of that was giving permission for our son to be spanked. We could have opted for my hubby to come in and spank. But we trust(ed) the principal and don't regret any of the spankings our son got. And my son has a very strong attachment to the principal as a result.

When our son was younger, I baby-sat. One of the conditions of the babysitting was that I could spank if need be. Why? They were in my home, and I wasn't going to have my home (when I say I, I mean my hubby, too) torn up by kids who wouldn't listen to me. Most of the kids I babysat were with me more than they were with their parents. And I look at them as adults today and see the results of my aid in their rearing. Many of them make me proud...and many of them love me still.

Betcha those kids the principal has to spank love him.

• Members

Bravo to your post, LuAnne!!

When my (our) son was in the fifth grade... he was having a tough time. That was also a very rough year for me, as a teacher... too. My son did not see his biological dad for almost a whole year (not by mine, my hubby's or his choice... either.) My husband (Joe) is his step-dad.

Anyhoo... he would walk home from school with some friends to my in-laws house that year. I would pick him up from work, shortly after he got there. My MIL had to paddle him a couple of times. She told me about it... he didn't. :lol: "Kudos" to her! He needed it! They have a very warm, loving, relationship to this day.

In Christ ~

Molly