• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Old Is The Earth

• Moderators

I'm not going to waste my efforts on this issue any more-the Bible has a clear and plain meaning-6days from nothing to everything. Anything else must be added, because the plain reading doesn't allow it. We can argue it and make claims of things that someone might see as a hint to it, all day, but it doesn't change the fact that the Bible, as written, does not allow anything else but a six-day creation, that started from "the beginning" when there was only God, then the heaven and earth, formless and empty, then light, and then He began to fill earth and heaven. It just isn't there. The earth was without form and void because God is a God of order, and he began creation that way, then He formed and filled it-that's exactly what the Bible, the KJV Bible says. Anything more is assumption brought to the table and strained at in scripture.

I am done with it-I'll argue it no more. I mean, after what I just said, because yeah, I did sort of argue it. But I am through now.

• Members

"There is a gap because some irrelevant verses say a day is a thousand years. But we don't know how long the gap. It is not long enough for evolution to happen though."

If you put a gap there that can not be determined in its length, then neither can you restrict it's length.

Your speculation of no more than a thousand years is pure fairytale stuff, for those verses do not determine nor restrict the time of your supposed gap.

Those verses have no indicator that they in any way relate to creation either, so to apply them to creation has no justification.

• Members

"when there was only God"  who is from everlasting unto everlasting, and 1John 1:5 ¶ This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.  I can't believe he created anything in darkness or that Darkness exists in the Third heaven because just like the New Jerusalem with the new heaven one earth in rev 21 there is no darkness because the glory of God is the light of the third heaven. Rev 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

I believe the there is not darkness in the third heaven and there never was any darkness until Lucifer was allowed to be tested and upon his fall judgement went forth and Darkness came from that judgement.  What we see by God's word through Cross references is that when we come to verse 2 of Genesis chapter 1 that darkness was the result of the judgement upon Lucifer and the angels that followed him.

No argument on my part, it is just my Belief and I do not insist you agree.  However you and Dave have been very adamant that I believe the way you do.  This is an non-essential issue upon which we are not required to lose fellowship over.  

try not arguing so much.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members

I don't much care what you believe, but I am concerned about what is taught on an independent Baptist forum.

Your premise ignores biblical text after text. You can not redefine day to mean what you want it to. The text does not allow room for a gap. The account finishes by saying all creation was very good - I can not believe that God would refer to a sin affected creation as "very good".
You go ahead and believe what you will, but if you promote biblically unsupportable positions you MUST expect to be challenged on it.

• Members

The phrase contained in Gen 1:5 - And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

"The evening and the morning" is a Hebrew mechanism which indicates roughly "In the space of the day".
The inclusion of such a phrase at the end of the description for each day - including this first day - means that each day should thus be considered alike.

It's not really all that difficult to understand - no verbal gymnastics required.

Do you know why evening is mentioned first?

• Members

Because all of God's abode, now known as the third heaven, was  in light and there was no darkness at all in it until the judgement of Lucifer and his angels between verse 1 and verse 2.  Then came the Darkness (I believe the Judgement of God on Lucifer), and the Spirit of God (God the Holy Ghost) moved over the waters (vs 2).  He (God the Father) called for light (God the Son) upon that arrangement as the darkness already followed the light that was in God's abode, evening which is called the Night was now the first phase of 24 hour day and Day would follow in sequence ON THE EARTH.

God's Glory (Light) shined forth over all his abode (vs1), God's judgement (Darkness vs 2), God's grace (calling for light vs 3).  This day cycle was set but would be carried on once the sun, moon and stars were made in Verse 14.

First day upon this earth in Gen 1:3-5 not one person has argued that.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members

Because all of God's abode, now known as the third heaven, was in light and there was no darkness at all in it until the judgement of Lucifer and his angels between verse 1 and verse 2. Then came the Darkness (I believe the Judgement of God on Lucifer), and the Spirit of God (God the Holy Ghost) moved over the waters (vs 2). He (God the Father) called for light (God the Son) upon that arrangement as the darkness already followed the light that was in God's abode, evening which is called the Night was now the first phase of 24 hour day and Day would follow in sequence ON THE EARTH.

God's Glory (Light) shined forth over all his abode (vs1), God's judgement (Darkness vs 2), God's grace (calling for light vs 3). This day cycle was set but would be carried on once the sun, moon and stars were made in Verse 14.

First day upon this earth in Gen 1:3-5 not one person ahas argued that.

This posts states as fact that which is your own supposition without any actual biblical support.

To state things the way you have in this post is error, and is unbiblical.
It is also against your claims that you are only stating your opinion.
You have worded this as fact.
It is not fact.
It is not supported in the text.

It throws doubt upon all of God's Word, for if you can rework this section, then why is it wrong to rework other sections.?

It even goes against your screen name...... Edited by DaveW

• Members

In Genesis God gives us an account of creation.  We have all we need to know in that.  We don't have to go beyond what is written, but just believe.

Well God's word does not tell us when the Cherubim, Seraphim and Angels were created or made.

There is no harm in wondering why there was a flood in verse two of Genesis one.

I have all I need for life and godliness in the word of God.  But the word of God is not a complete history of all things that are found in the third heaven.  Like when did he create his chariot wheeled throne seen in Ezk 1 and 10?

God's word does say, seek and ye shall find.  No harm in that.

• Members

Exo_20:11  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. 

a few questions.

1. is Satan in the earth today? 

2. in what time span did God create everything in heaven and earth?

3. What time span was Satan created in?

4. How can there be a gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 with Satan's rebellion in between if everything that is in heaven and earth was created in 6 days?

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

In the New Testament, there are three heavens.  God dwells in the "third heaven".  The third heaven is eternal (outside of space/time).

In Genesis, God created what we would call the "second heaven" (stars) and the "first heaven" (birds, clouds), earth and TIME. 

Satan was created before space/time, and originally was the "anointed cherub that covereth" the throne of God (Ezek 28:12b-19).

Edited by beameup

• Members

Well God's word does not tell us when the Cherubim, Seraphim and Angels were created or made.

There is no harm in wondering why there was a flood in verse two of Genesis one.

I have all I need for life and godliness in the word of God.  But the word of God is not a complete history of all things that are found in the third heaven.  Like when did he create his chariot wheeled throne seen in Ezk 1 and 10?

God's word does say, seek and ye shall find.  No harm in that.

Actually, God's Word does tell us when the cherubim, seraphim and angels were created.  You just refuse to accept what the Bible your screen name say you believe.

Sure, there is harm in wondering why there was a flood.  " But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes."

Everything that was made was made in the six day period... just as God said.