• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Old Is The Earth

• Members

Extra 30 day month every 7th year and an additional extra month every 49th year.

Can't be bothered figuring out the math......

Just a silly question from one of the learners.  Do those numbers have any connection to the Sabbath Year and the Year of Jubilee?

• Members

Without putting any words in anyone's mouth, is this what's being said? (Taken from Les' web pages)

Genesis 1:2

"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."
Now from my understanding of the word "created" which is "Barah" in the Hebrew, and I’ve even read some Hebrew commentary on it not too long ago, that the word meant "perfect creation." In other words God did not create the mess as I call verse 2, because when you look at that verse the earth is under flood water, it’s void, or of no use, and yet that which evidently God had created perfectly in verse 1 must have been without a flood, and yet here in verse 2 it is void, and under water. 
Now I’ve learned over the years to call verse 2 "The First Flood," and Noah’s was the second. Well what happened here in verse 2? Why did God destroy that original beautiful earth that He had created by the word of His mouth? Well naturally something cataclysmic had to have happened, and I think the best way we can find the answer for that is go to the Scripture itself. I know some theologians will disagree with me, but just as many will agree, but this is the way I feel the most comfortable with this whole idea that between verse 1 and verse 2 something terrible happened, so that God had to destroy the earth with a flood. So now let’s turn to Ezekiel chapter 28, and we’ll begin with verse 13. 
Now I don’t take this approach just simply to pacify the evolutionist concepts of the billions of billions of years of time. No way at all. I don’t do this to just simply insert the geological ages of time, which I don’t agree with. I don’t agree with the evolutionist approach whatsoever. I’m a creationist, and believe that in the beginning God spoke the Word, and everything was created as He wanted to create it. But I do have to feel that after a certain period of time, and I don’t know how long that was, it might have been 5 years, or 500 years, or even 5 billion, I don’t know, and again my answer is, "So what!" But I do feel that there was an interruption because of something that drastically took place, and I think we can begin to find that answer in Ezekiel chapter 28. (goes on to talk about the devil)

bara translated create (42x), creator (3x), choose (2x), make (2x), cut down (2x), dispatch (1x), done (1x), make fat (1x) + commentary = "perfect creation"

waters + own ideas = flood

own ideas of flood + void = devil's kingdom

own ideas of devil's kingdom + more ideas = unknown amount of time

• Members

Just a silly question from one of the learners. Do those numbers have any connection to the Sabbath Year and the Year of Jubilee?

Not a silly question at all - in fact spot on. That is precisely what it is about.

• Moderators

Without putting any words in anyone's mouth, is this what's being said? (Taken from Les' web pages)

bara translated create (42x), creator (3x), choose (2x), make (2x), cut down (2x), dispatch (1x), done (1x), make fat (1x) + commentary = "perfect creation"

waters + own ideas = flood

own ideas of flood + void = devil's kingdom

own ideas of devil's kingdom + more ideas = unknown amount of time

That's about right. until the question of an 'unanswerable" evolution theory came about, there were none that looked at the Bible this way, despite the author's insistence. If no one had come up with evolution, there would never have been a reason to approach the Bible with such an assumption, nor to read in what is clearly not there.

• Members

interesting but I was talking to Uke about there being a flood in Gen 1:2. 

I am rather sure there was a flood on the Earth At Gen1:2 because by God's divine build in cross reference he has supernaturally put in the AV Bible, cross references of words, terms, and phrases.  There is an exact phrase in Gen1:2 that is found also Genesis 7:18 and that phrase is  "upon the face of the waters".   Gen 7:18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.

Proverbs 8 puts waters abounding in fountains, not free floating in space around an earth, being made sometime after the earth.  That is IF Prov 8:22-24 was preserved chronologically for us in scripture that is why when we see a new earth in Rev 1 there is no sea, because originally there was not water on earth.

That is not the only phrase found in Gen1:2 that can be cross referenced so we understand the terms and phrases as what they are and mean.  The other is "without form, and void" and like in verse 2 there was no light.  It is found in Jer 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, [it was] without form, and void; and the heavens, and they [had] no light.   The context here was about Israel but the meaning is clear but it is so eerily similar to Genesis 1:2 it is uncanny.

These two cross references give us much insight on Gen 1:2 that we would be wise to connect the references and see that there may well have been a flood before Gen 6-8.  And when we see the Spirit of God move upon the face of the waters, we see that something took place just before that, What ever it was it broke forth the waters from their decreed places (the fountains) and placed them in, on and around the earth in heaven.

We don't know exactly but there are bits and pieces that let us know it is in connection with Lucifer, a throne and his attempt in the presence of the angles trying to exalt that throne, and the judgement of him and those angels that followed him.  We don't have a full story but after that judgement and I believe that is where Genesis 1:3 takes over.  I believe there is info missing from Genesis 1:1 to 1:2 because it has to do with something outside the physical realm but one day we will know all that had taken place.

The earth was created to exalt Him who was possessed of God from the beginning, the purpose was so that He would have a place for his Throne.  In Revelation that purpose finally come to fruition.  Lucifer interrupted that but God had it planned out from beginning to everlasting and His will was and is worked out.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members

The Bible does not say there wa "a flood" in Genesis 1:2.  It simply states

Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

It nowhere says that something caused a flood to cover the Earth after Genesis 1:1.  One has to add to the text to come to that conclusion, as Mountain Chirstian so succinctly pointed out.

Your gap theory is not based on Biblical fact alone, but rather, Bibical fact poisoned with opinion and conjecture

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

The phrase contained in Gen 1:5 - And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

"The evening and the morning" is a Hebrew mechanism which indicates roughly "In the space of the day".
The inclusion of such a phrase at the end of the description for each day - including this first day - means that each day should thus be considered alike.

It's not really all that difficult to understand - no verbal gymnastics required.

• Moderators

The phrase contained in Gen 1:5 - And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

"The evening and the morning" is a Hebrew mechanism which indicates roughly "In the space of the day".
The inclusion of such a phrase at the end of the description for each day - including this first day - means that each day should thus be considered alike.

It's not really all that difficult to understand - no verbal gymnastics required.

Yes

And to assume a vast amount of time BEFORE the 'first day', would mean that the first day could NOT be THE FIRST DAY.

After the flood of Noah, the Lord didn't re-start the clock of creation, even though He judged the entire world with that flood, as some believe He did before Gen 1:2. The Lord could not call it the first day, if thee was even mone more day before it, much less millions of years. And His entire creation could not be considered good if it was built upon a flood of judgment where billions of lives of men and aminals perished and lay just below the surface of the earth.

The Bible says that God created everything in heaven and earth during those six days of creation-unless Lucifer and the angels and heaven and the glOBe were themselves eternal, past and future, then this statement would be incorrect.

• Members

I in now way have offered a vast amount of time between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2.  It would depend on what you mean a vast amount of time to be.  If youare saying that vast amount of time is 100,000 years or one million years.  I doubt it very seriously.

I look at the scriptures and find that there are two indicators preserved in the word for us to be able to put a frame in place for the time period between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2.

Ps 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight [are but] as yesterday when it is past, and [as] a watch in the night.
 2Pe 3:8 ¶ But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

I would say if we had to place a time on this From everlasting section, it would be one day to a thousand years and not more.  In this period of time the Evolutionist cannot make claim that there were hundreds of thousands of years or more and they cannot claim the fossil record are from before Gen 1.  I clearly believe that the fossil record is from the flood of Noah.

We would all agree that one or one thousand years is not a vast amount of time.

• Members

The First day's activities are found in Genesis 1:3-5 before there was light there was no day.  he called for light because there was none.  Verse two said. darkness was upon the face of the deep.

Gen 1:3-4 ¶ And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.   And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.   And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

God started no other work until light and the the 24 hour division or time quantum (measurement) was established.  Day roughly 12 hours and Night roughly 12 hours this made up the first day.  Then each days activities are listed out according to Genesis 1:3-31.

Now did God need the 24 hour day to complete each stages of the things he made and created?

No

He listed days for us to comprehend because man knows no other time measurement outside the 24/7 condition.