• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Old Is The Earth

• Members

The translators of the King James used the Septuagint. In the Septuigint, the Koine Greek word for Hebrew nephilim is gigantes, from which they got the English word giants.

So "large hybrids" is nowhere indicated in the text, but assumed by you?

Large maybe, but hybrid? No.

By the way I am not saying they were not angels - I don't think there is enough in the passage to be dogmatic.

There certainly is not a definitive statement like "large hybrids" inherent in the passage.

• Members

The translators of the King James used the  Septuagint.  In the Septuigint, the Koine Greek word for Hebrew nephilim is gigantes, from which they got the English word giants.

Yes there were giants, in the Word of God,  which were always big, tall, oversized men. There's nothing supernatural about it. We have the same today with, 'pituitary' or 'acromegaly' giants. Linebackers and professional basketball players are really big dudes too. Understand that when the children of Israel sent the spies into Canaan, some came back with an "evil report" of seeing giants. This news struck fear into the hearts of the Israelites because, at that time, SIZE was a really big deal in hand to hand combat. 

• Members

Yes there were giants, in the Word of God,  which were always big, tall, oversized men. There's nothing supernatural about it. We have the same today with, 'pituitary' or 'acromegaly' giants. Linebackers and professional basketball players are really big dudes too. Understand that when the children of Israel sent the spies into Canaan, some came back with an "evil report" of seeing giants. This news struck fear into the hearts of the Israelites because, at that time, SIZE was a really big deal in hand to hand combat. 

But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we.
And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying,
The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people
that we saw in it are men of a great stature. And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants:
and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.  Numbers 13:31-33

The word used there is NEPHILIM (Strongs H5303).

Do you do any research before posting, or just state your "opinion"?

Edited by beameup

• Members

God created it from nothing. He spoke it into existence as in "let there be light".

This form moves so fast and gets so many replies that we often miss answers

Maybe you can point me to the Bible verse where it says he created it from nothing?

here are some words to ponder

Zec 12:1 ¶ The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him. all men get there spirit from God and when he dies it returns to God Ecc 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, Ecc 2:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Acts 17:25, 28 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; For in him we live, and move, and have our being;  all men have their life in God and that life is from him

Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.  By himself all things are composed and are held together.

1Cor 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things,

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Moderators

So "large hybrids" is nowhere indicated in the text, but assumed by you?

Large maybe, but hybrid? No.

By the way I am not saying they were not angels - I don't think there is enough in the passage to be dogmatic.

There certainly is not a definitive statement like "large hybrids" inherent in the passage.

Sure there are large hybrids:

HybridCar.jpg

• Members

The translators of the King James used the Septuagint. In the Septuigint, the Koine Greek word for Hebrew nephilim is gigantes, from which they got the English word giants.

I think that you are off a little, on that.

Gen 6:4
4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
(KJV)

4 Sotheli giauntis weren on erthe in tho daies, forsothe aftir that the sones of God entriden to the douytris of men, and tho douytris gendriden; these weren myyti of the world and famouse men.
(WYC)

4 Había gigantes en la tierra en aquellos días, y también después que entraron los hijos de Dios á las hijas de los hombres, y les engendraron hijos:éstos fueron los valientes que desde la antigüedad fueron varones de nombre.
(RV09)

4 There were tirantes in the world in thos dayes. For after that the children of God had gone in vnto the doughters of men and had begotten them childern the same childern were the mightiest of the world and men of renowne
(TyndaleBible)

The AV translators used the Hebrew, and the previous English translations.

Anishinaabe

• Members

But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we.
And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying,
The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people
that we saw in it are men of a great stature. And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants:
and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.  Numbers 13:31-33

The word used there is NEPHILIM (Strongs H5303).

Do you do any research before posting, or just state your "opinion"?

• Members

For those posting in a civil, respectful manner: THANK YOU!!!

For those posting with personal digs and jabs, please note this is not in accord with how we are speak and relate to one another.

I do believe I have made no jabs or digs towards anyone.  If it seemed like I did it was unintentional and I would ask forgiveness.

• Members

Are you suggesting that the Giants in Numbers 13 are related to the Giants in Gen 6?

By the way Nephilim means giant - that's all, just giant......

It also has the meaning or "cast out ones" or "cast down ones".  In Genesis six and Numbers 13 it is not Nephilim but Nephiyl

In Duet and Joshua it is Rapha

• Members

Nephiyl does not mean casy out ones. It simply means giants.

No I said it also has that meaning from it root Nephal.  Sorry I forgot to include the root word

05307.  lpn  naphal,  naw-fal'

a primitive root; to fall, in a great variety of applications (intransitive or causative, literal or figurative):--be accepted, cast (down, self, (lots), out), cease, die, divide (by lot), (let) fail, (cause to, let, make, ready to) fall (away, down, -en, -ing), fell(-ing), fugitive, have (inheritance), inferior, be judged (by mistake for 6419), lay (along), (cause to) lie down, light (down), be (X hast) lost, lying, overthrow, overwhelm, perish, present(-ed, -ing), (make to) rot, slay, smite out, X surely, throw down

Etymology is the study of the beginning of words and as part of Bible study you search the root meanings as well

Rapha also means Giant/Giants

Edited by AVBibleBeliever