• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Old Is The Earth

• Members

I suppose there's nothing I can think of against that. I'd just be very cautious about calling it a 'gap' theory as that could lead others to either think you're touting the 'official' gap theory or, after accepting your ideas, to accept traditional gap theory simply cause it has the same name (and yes, people do that kind of thing. It's called not researching things. :wink)

The reason I call it s gap is because there is a gap of information from the period of verse one and the beginning of verse two.  Meaning we are not told what took place to cause the earth to be without form and void and the only cross reference to that term if I am not mistaken is in Jeremiah and it refers to Jerusalem being laid waste.

I found it here

Jer 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, [it was] without form, and void; and the heavens, and they [had] no light.

This is how we are to determine the meaning of "without form and void" is by comparing scripture with scripture. 

• Members

My people hunted Raptors until the 1500's, in the Appalachians. We have drawings and stories.

Anishinaabe

On a side note I remember reading somewhere that What we call North America today was called by a different name by the natives.  But I can't remember what that name was.

Do you know what that name was?

• Members

What I have concluded is that from the beginning God the Father wanted to lift up and exalt God the Son we find this in Proverbs 8:22-24, so Lucifer was commissioned to build a throne/throne city (sorry not bible).  Lucifer worked hard and built a beautiful and impressive throne to which he became prideful and sought to usurp God ( the iniquity found in him Ezk 28:15), This iniquity required God's Judgement to which God flooded the earth and destroyed the throne Lucifer built.  After the angels were chained in darkness God Holy Ghost is seen moving on the face of the waters (Gen1:2).  Then calling for light God began a work to make the earth habitable for man by first setting up our current 24/7 time system which governs our world to this day (Gen 1:3-5).  Created man on the sixth day (Gen1:27) according to the time measurement God laid forth and placed them in a garden that God specifically made for them.  Then God the father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost (the three that are one) rested on the seventh day (Gen 2:2).  The eight day the serpent (not a snake and most likely standing upright) deceived Eve and then Adam ate also Gen 3).  Bringing God's judgement on them which was death and expulsion from the Garden.  Man now has a sin nature because of their choice to eat that which God told them not too.  And they multiplied on the earth and to this day their decedents still carry on with that sin nature

One day in the future as we read in Revelation God will put an end to all of this and create a new earth and heavens and a glorious throne city called the new Jerusalem will set upon the new earth forever and ever.

• Moderators

You know if God created the heaven and the earth, then commissioned Lucifer to build a throne, and because of his iniquity that brought darkness and judgement to that earth and the heaven, then God calls for light to renew the earth that had been destroyed by a flood of waters from the fountains.  He does his six day s of work and rests and today it still could be between 6 and 7 thousand years.  because the creation of the heaven and the earth could have taken a very short period of time that it would still fit into a young earth ideology.

a gap doesn't mean it has to be tens of thousands or millions of years it could be a day.  As I said above one day as a thousand years and no longer

the only beings that would have been on the planet at the time of Genesis 1:2 would have been the angels.

I don't see where God commissioned Lucifer to buld a throne, and I don't see where God judged the earth because of Lucifer. God judged the earth because of man.

And I repeat:

"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Ex 20:11

Made: asah 

to do, fashion, accomplish, make

1. (Qal)

1. to do, work, make, produce

1. to do

2. to work

3. to deal (with)

4. to act, act with effect, effect

So in six days God made, produced,  heaven (singular, the whole space), earth, the sea and everything in them. So, not seeing any space here for a gap. The creation of the heaven and earth were part of the first day, which was marked by the creation of light and its separation from darkness.

If God, in SIX days, MADE, PRODUCED everything, heaven, (not heavenS), earth the sea and all that in them is, which would HAVE to include the separate heavens, AND the  heavenly beings, since they are in heaven, or at least, one of them, the sun, the moon, the stars, everything in six days. Then He rested ON the seventh day. THE seventh day. Thus, there cannot be even one day or 1 million years added to it, if God rested on THE seventh day after making all things in the preceeding six. There is no room.

• Moderators

The reason I call it s gap is because there is a gap of information from the period of verse one and the beginning of verse two.  Meaning we are not told what took place to cause the earth to be without form and void and the only cross reference to that term if I am not mistaken is in Jeremiah and it refers to Jerusalem being laid waste.

I found it here

Jer 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, [it was] without form, and void; and the heavens, and they [had] no light.

This is how we are to determine the meaning of "without form and void" is by comparing scripture with scripture. 

The earth was without form and void because God is a God of order, and He created all things from a position of nothing to everything. Its not hard. COuld God have snapped His fingers and created all in an instant, complete? Of course-but He created as He did to also create the concept of time-we still follow the seven-day week base for all our time because of it.

• Members

The earth was without form and void because God is a God of order, and He created all things from a position of nothing to everything. Its not hard. COuld God have snapped His fingers and created all in an instant, complete? Of course-but He created as He did to also create the concept of time-we still follow the seven-day week base for all our time because of it.

7 day week? You are lucky, where I work it is an 8 day week with 6 hour weekends

• Members

Fair enough.

Because nobody has ever proven that any of them exist; dragons or Bigfoots...or is that Bigfeets? :)

I do not believe that either the Bigfoot or the Bigfeet exist.  However the Blackfoot do exist (an indian tribe in Montana). :smug:

Now about the dragons.  Here are just three articles to read.  There are many more that can be found in a google search.  Enjoy.  :popcorn:

https://www.creationworldview.org/articles_view.asp?id=50

http://www.valserrie.com/vs%20A_DidDragonsExist.htm

http://www.nwcreation.net/dinosdragons.html

God bless,

Larry

• Members

I believe dragons, satyrs, Unicorns, behemoths and Leviathan exist and or existed because God's word mentions them.

Yes, but the satyrs of the Word of God weren't half human chimeras, the dragons weren't giant flying fire-breathing lizards, and a 'unicorn' wasn't a white horse with a spiral spike on it's forehead.

• Members

Interesting. I googled that; didn't find anything. Could you show me some info on that?

My memory is foggy on the first mention, it may have been Kent Hovind's 7 Part Creation Series.  Or learning of that led to more research where I found this on the internet.  I mentioned it here in 2012.  The websites I cannot find at all, I've been searching for 4 hours.  There were two, one American, one from England.  That much I remember, one of them had K12 in their email address I think.

Regardless, Hovind's videos are on youtube and he gives plenty of visual evidence from antiquity that man walked with dinosaurs, and ate them!

• Moderators

Yes, but the satyrs of the Word of God weren't half human chimeras, the dragons weren't giant flying fire-breathing lizards, and a 'unicorn' wasn't a white horse with a spiral spike on it's forehead.

Leviathan breathed fire. And Pterodactyls and pteranadons could fly, so...

• Members

I do not believe that either the Bigfoot or the Bigfeet exist.  However the Blackfoot do exist (an indian tribe in Montana). :smug:

Now about the dragons.  Here are just three articles to read.  There are many more that can be found in a google search.  Enjoy.  :popcorn:

https://www.creationworldview.org/articles_view.asp?id=50

http://www.valserrie.com/vs%20A_DidDragonsExist.htm

http://www.nwcreation.net/dinosdragons.html

God bless,

Larry

I skimmed over some of it.  Archaeologists and paleontologists around the world have unearthed mastodons, mammoths, horses, dogs, cats and about everything else which are completely composed of organic bone. Although there have been small pieces of organic material found inside FOSSILIZED bones of T-Rex etc,.there have been no organic skeletons of a 'dragon' or dinosaur found, as far as I know, which would be the case had there been ' dragons' during "Beowulf's", Herodotus' or Alexander the Great's time