• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Old Is The Earth

• Members

Simple, I believe it's because of people's need to explain the "dinosaurs". Just last weekend, in Sunday School class, our teacher brought up the question about the dinosaurs. One man spoke up and explained that "Leviathan" was a dinosaur. Another man, looked at me and nodded, to which I only responded by saying "I'm not getting into this one". But I will here. We don't know what "Leviathan" or even "Behemoth" were, and while I believe that entertaining a theory of a "gap" could be wrong, stating as fact that Leviathan was a dinosaur, to me is just plain dishonest; because we don't know.what it was. An old IFB pastor of mine called the "gap theory" the "gap fact". That's just a s wrong unless he had scripture to back it up.

I concur. While I think a dinosaur is a better explanation for behemoth than an elephant, it can't be stated definitively one way or another. The question was more directed toward AVBB on why he personally embraces the gap theory.

• Members

Would someone please define "entropy" in understandable terms?

1ST LAW of Thermodynamics:

The first law says that although matter and energy can be changed in form, the total quantity of mass/energy is always the same.

2ND LAW of Thermodynamics:

The second law says the amount of energy in the universe available for work is running down, which is sometimes called entropy.

Henry Morris says, "We can see from every day experience the 2nd law functions in various ways: energy becomes less available, systems become disorganized, information becomes garbled, matter disintegrates, stars burn out or explode, organisms become extinct, environments decay, comets disintegrate, and people get old and die."

Of course America's Marxist loving scientists have given a new definition to entropy which suits their religion of evolution and it is the opposite of truth and reality.  Imagine that?

the issue of a Gap is a non-essential issue and is of no cause to divide or hurt our relationship as Christians.

Where in the Bible does the Lord list all these non-essentials?  Or, who gets to determine such?  I thought we're supposed to stand for the whole counsel of God?

The belief in the Gap theory is like using marijuana, it's a gateway to a host of other unbiblical positions such as baptism, the Holy Spirit, the nature of the church and the Lord's Supper.

• Moderators

Simple, I believe it's because of people's need to explain the "dinosaurs". Just last weekend, in Sunday School class, our teacher brought up the question about the dinosaurs. One man spoke up and explained that "Leviathan" was a dinosaur. Another man, looked at me and nodded, to which I only responded by saying "I'm not getting into this one". But I will here. We don't know what "Leviathan" or even "Behemoth" were, and while I believe that entertaining a theory of a "gap" could be wrong, stating as fact that Leviathan was a dinosaur, to me is just plain dishonest; because we don't know.what it was. An old IFB pastor of mine called the "gap theory" the "gap fact". That's just a s wrong unless he had scripture to back it up.

Technically, leviathan is a sea creature and dinosaurs were land animals. So the leviathan wasn't a dinosaur. Although I think the behemoth was. :frog: Why wouldn't you consider those great creatures to be dinosaurs, though? There's nothing else (that we know of) that better matches the description of the behemoth. People do use the gap theory as a way of explaining dinosaurs, because they think somehow the fossil record of dinosaurs negates the Flood. So what better way of showing them that God created dinosaurs with the other creatures, and they were contemporaries of man, then to show them those descriptions? Personally I think the attempts to explain behemoths as being elephants or hippos are a result of evolutionary thinking entering the church.

• Members

Technically, leviathan is a sea creature and dinosaurs were land animals. So the leviathan wasn't a dinosaur. Although I think the behemoth was. :frog: Why wouldn't you consider those great creatures to be dinosaurs, though? There's nothing else (that we know of) that better matches the description of the behemoth. People do use the gap theory as a way of explaining dinosaurs, because they think somehow the fossil record of dinosaurs negates the Flood. So what better way of showing them that God created dinosaurs with the other creatures, and they were contemporaries of man, then to show them those descriptions? Personally I think the attempts to explain behemoths as being elephants or hippos are a result of evolutionary thinking entering the church.

Whoops, all Dinosaurs were not land animals.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plesiosauria

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Man walked with dinosaurs since the day Adam named them all until only recently.  Around the world their is evidence of this in writings and artwork and pictures and paintings.  In the 1500s there was still a T-Rex terrorizing indians along the Penobscot.  It stands to reason then that Noah even brought them aboard the ark.

• Members

Man walked with dinosaurs since the day Adam named them all until only recently.  Around the world their is evidence of this in writings and artwork and pictures and paintings.  In the 1500s there was still a T-Rex terrorizing indians along the Penobscot.  It stands to reason then that Noah even brought them aboard the ark.

Interesting. I googled that; didn't find anything. Could you show me some info on that?

• Members

Technically, leviathan is a sea creature and dinosaurs were land animals. So the leviathan wasn't a dinosaur. Although I think the behemoth was. :frog:Why wouldn't you consider those great creatures to be dinosaurs, though? They could be, but the Bible doesn't say. There's nothing else (that we know of) that better matches the description of the behemoth. It also could be describing an elephant.     People do use the gap theory as a way of explaining dinosaurs, because they think somehow the fossil record of dinosaurs negates the Flood.  I don't   So what better way of showing them that God created dinosaurs with the other creatures, and they were contemporaries of man, then to show them those descriptions? Personally I think the attempts to explain behemoths as being elephants or hippos are a result of evolutionary thinking entering the church.  What did people think they were  from the first century onward to the time that "dinosaurs" began being excavated and classified?

• Members

That depends (the salvation bit, I mean). A gap theory that allows for death before sin (which some believe - don't know if you do, but that is the classic theory) completely negates the physical penalty for sin and plays havoc with the whole need for salvation. 

I never said there was nor do I believe there was a pre-adamic race or people on the earth.  I never said anyone died in the flood of Gen1:2.

• Members

Seems some have to take the extreme absolute side against it because all their faith will crumble if they consider the idea as possible. There are too many unanswerable passages within the OT (not just though-out Job) to dismiss a gap completely. It hardly matters much or the Lord would have it explained thoroughly. Unless of course you are among those that claim the Bible says one thing but means another.

IOW: you can consider the possibility without buying into evolution and it associated nonsense.

Seems the Lord has repented several times over earth and man so why would a gap be so hard to consider? If you free yourself from the extreme traditional stand, that is.