• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Do You Feel About Stepping Out Of The Box Of Traditional Doctrine?

Genevanpreacher

• Members

So,

Donillo, you have issues with IFB churches-okay, that's cool, so do I and I AM IFB. Lets discuss it and see if there are boxes we should get out of.

I have already stated some of my issues, but yes, I will happy to discuss them further as I am a member of an IFB church. I came to this forum for answers to questions and observations, but not to belittle, or to be mean-spirited. Just intelligent discourse.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No matter what church a person goes to, there are going to be problems.  Changing denominations isn't always the best way to go.  You will find different (maybe more) problems in the Free Methodist Church than in the IFB church.  Churches are full of people who are human, and human's are sinful.  Since your wife likes her friends in the IFB church you attend, I would suggest you stay.  I knew a couple who had a problem with my IFB church years ago.  They went to a Free Will Baptist church and had more problems there.  They left a few months later and never attended church again.  He died of a heart attack several years ago, and she is dying of cancer.  What was very nice, is that since they didn't have a home church, an IFB evangelist did the funeral for him.  No questions asked.  Anyway, it's kinda like "The grass is always greener on the other side" mentality.  Personally, I would try to work out your problems in the IFB church.  Do I have problems with my IFB church at times?  Of course I do.  The flesh is weak.

• Members

One box is - 'the text of the KJV has no errors.'

What error would be MOST important?

Doctrinal!

Any information you receive in your life is subject to 'notice'. If we as Baptists, and I have never been anything else, know Baptist doctrines that have stood through the centuries since Christ til now, and receive a 'text' that does not follow that, is following error.

So it follows that if the Bible we use is saying words to affect our doctrine negatively, yet we continue to use it, we are in error.

So if one uses, say the NIV, which is full of doctrinal errors, then that one person is using a bible that has error in it. That goes for ALL english bibles.

We as IFB should use a Bible that has no errors in the text, as pertaining to our doctrine, as it follows the doctrines of Paul, Peter, James, etc.

Yet what about that? Are there errors of doctrine in the KJV text?

Textual, there are.

• Members

Donillo,

Thank you for explaining about the Free Methodist church. I've had no experience with them so it's good to learn some of the differences between them and the United Methodists.

Post #47 by Candlelight makes some good points to consider.

There is no perfect church, the best we can hope for is to find a church that preaches, teaches and practices the Word of God as accurately and closely as we can expect in this fallen, sin tainted world.

Family harmony is also an important issue, which Candlelight brought up. One shouldn't attend a church simply to placate a spouse, but when considering churches that may be close in terms of their teaching and practice, family harmony should be closely considered.

We have to be careful that we are actually evaluating churches in light of Scripture and not due to some personal bias or preference and not based upon appearances only or second hand information or a worldly philosophy or ideology. Sometimes that requires much prayer and patience.

• Members

Genevanpreacher,

If you believe there to be doctrinal errors in the KJB please put them forth along with the source which proves such.

Or, were you asking a rhetorical question or challenging someone to put forth such if they believe there are?

• Members

Genevanpreacher,

If you believe there to be doctrinal errors in the KJB please put them forth along with the source which proves such.

Or, were you asking a rhetorical question or challenging someone to put forth such if they believe there are?

Give me an example of a doctrine. Virgin birth? trinity? or something like separation? or autonomy of the local church? Or the cessation of the so-called sign gifts?

• Members

Geneva asked my concerns with KJV doctrines and I first,wanted to nail down and define what is or isn't "doctrine". So another example I would offer would be the doctrine that women are to be silent, along,with the other examples I listed in my previous post

• Members

Just a little 'spot' of info:  Alex Campbell used a KJV to prove, in words from the text, that there is such a thing as baptismal regeneration. A few verses stuck out in his teachings. Acts 2:38 of course, along with Acts 22:16, Mark 16:16, Titus 3:5, and 1 Peter 3:20,21.

You may look these verses up and compare them to 'what' we believe, and try to explain them by saying 'that's just not what they mean' til you are blue in the face.

But the text says so, in the KJV.

I do not believe such 'hogwash', excuse the term if it bothers you. Christians down through the centuries NEVER believed many of the doctrines of the modern churches of today.

Such subjects as 'working out your own salvation', 'baptizing for the dead', 'speaking in tongues', 'baptism saves you', etc., that are in the KJV, but not in one other English Bible that lead more people to the Lord and salvation than any other English Bible, including the KJV.

Yes, these are 'doctrines' in, 'other than Baptist', churches. Yet we Baptists use the same text they used to start all the false doctrines of the Church of Christ/Christian, Seventh Day Adventists, Jehovah Witnesses, Church of God, and all Charismatic churches since the 1700's. 

We know what to believe, by the testimony of Baptist preachers down through the centuries, their sermons, teachings and family info on what they believed and taught. Using scriptures that taught and SAID in words the same things. And when there were no written pages that were available that were accurate, they used what their memory remembered. Such teaching that followed REAL preachers, even when they used inaccurate 'versions'. 

The 1560 Geneva Bible does not read these verses like the KJV.

Later I will quote these subjects from it. And if you don't see any difference in the wording being more valuable, so be it. I don't condemn anyone, as I wish not to be condemned either.

Also, the line that - 'God put away that bible along time ago' - doesn't carry ANY weight, when it comes to believing what is real truth.

It is available online for free, and is in print.

And, most men of God have preached in Churches, since 1611, the same doctrines taught in the 1560 Geneva Bible, using their KJV. But saying they 'discerned it' in their KJV.

Well, I read it.

• Members

I have a Geneva Bible, it's been some time since I've read it much because the print is so small, but I don't recall that many big differences between the Geneva and KJ.

It should be noted that one can pick up any version of the Bible and make corrupt doctrines and practices by faulty study or deception. Most of the corrupt churches today use one or several of the MVs, not the KJB or Geneva Bible.

• Members

Yes, the name is that one for this very reason. I am genevanpreacher on a popular video site also. I am not advertising, just letting you know what I preach on my channel.

I must comment on the Geneva, it must be the 1560 edition, the 1599 is a different New Testament. And there are thousands of differences between it and the KJV. Not necessarily all bad toward the KJV.

• Members

And as for the saying about MV's being used by false churches, you don't understand, it all started with them using the KJV. That's how they started with their false teachings. The MV's came about by 'their' type of people looking into false manuscripts trying to clarify their false teachings. Etc, etc,...

Archived